Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 04:58 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Are you kidding ?? Next you will expect the Realtor to perform the home inspection and make repairs themselves. Realtors represent buyers or sellers in a home transaction, you can't expect them to do everything for you. You wouldn't expect your car mechanic to provide service to your home air conditioning unit, would you ??
Part of 'representing' is to warn buyers of potential issues. You would not expect your car mechanic to service your air conditioning but you absolutely would expect them to warn you about something they notice in your car outside of what they are hired to work on. "Your brakes look a bit worn and probably have about 5-10k more miles on them before you need to replace". Or even warn you about common issues with your kind of car that you need to keep a watch for. "I checked your cam belt and it looks ok...these cars are known to have issues with that and you should have it checked every year". And even in this case, the bar is much lower because your car mechanic is not legally bound to look after your interests as an agent is.

It's often the case that we discuss things like this and some will have your view that you can't expect your buyer's agent to do something. Others will take the opposite view. We spend a lot of time debating what consumers should expect of their buyer's agent.

Shouldn't this be telling us something? The services consumers can expect from a buyer's agent are very vague and your experience will vary greatly depending on your agent's interests, experience and time available. The fact is that few things are formalized and it's just a vague notion of 'looking after your interests'. The reason for this is that buyers have the perception that someone else pays for their agent so they are not so bothered with understanding exactly what services are provided for their money. If they were paying the several thousands of dollars themselves, they would be asking very different questions about the services provided and not provided. Likewise, the seller just sees the whole commission amount as a transaction cost and does not really care what specific services the buyer's agent provides for the buyer.

So in some ways, buyer's agent is a dream role - nobody is really too bothered about "value for money" like consumers are in just about every other thing they spend money on. If the buyer thinks it's free, their expectations will be pretty low. And the seller just wants to sell the house. Where is the "value for money" accountability for the buyer's agent in this equation? The convoluted funding model where it's not even clear who is paying for the buyer's agent leads to a very low level of accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 07:21 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Part of 'representing' is to warn buyers of potential issues. You would not expect your car mechanic to service your air conditioning but you absolutely would expect them to warn you about something they notice in your car outside of what they are hired to work on. "Your brakes look a bit worn and probably have about 5-10k more miles on them before you need to replace". Or even warn you about common issues with your kind of car that you need to keep a watch for. "I checked your cam belt and it looks ok...these cars are known to have issues with that and you should have it checked every year". And even in this case, the bar is much lower because your car mechanic is not legally bound to look after your interests as an agent is.

It's often the case that we discuss things like this and some will have your view that you can't expect your buyer's agent to do something. Others will take the opposite view. We spend a lot of time debating what consumers should expect of their buyer's agent.

Shouldn't this be telling us something? The services consumers can expect from a buyer's agent are very vague and your experience will vary greatly depending on your agent's interests, experience and time available. The fact is that few things are formalized and it's just a vague notion of 'looking after your interests'. The reason for this is that buyers have the perception that someone else pays for their agent so they are not so bothered with understanding exactly what services are provided for their money. If they were paying the several thousands of dollars themselves, they would be asking very different questions about the services provided and not provided. Likewise, the seller just sees the whole commission amount as a transaction cost and does not really care what specific services the buyer's agent provides for the buyer.

So in some ways, buyer's agent is a dream role - nobody is really too bothered about "value for money" like consumers are in just about every other thing they spend money on. If the buyer thinks it's free, their expectations will be pretty low. And the seller just wants to sell the house. Where is the "value for money" accountability for the buyer's agent in this equation? The convoluted funding model where it's not even clear who is paying for the buyer's agent leads to a very low level of accountability.
^^I agree.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/1...-will-tell-you
"A broker could be fined or lose their license for such an abuse, but it's not so easy to discover the misdeed," says a seasoned anonymous real estate lawyer.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:26 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
We ran into this on looking at house near the edge of a city. We knew the neighborhood had dsl. But I refused to buy into Dsl unless we really liked the home. One neighborhood was being built out toward the neighborhood we were looking at and they had cable broadband.

Our realtor only told us the neighborhood had dsl and that was it. But ATT was dropping fiber in some neighborhoods so I called and asked about service in that neighborhood. I found out that they could not handle any new dsl subscribers because they were tapped out. Fiber was several years off. The cable company had no intention on getting into that neighborhood.

We chose not to move in. We later found out through an acquaintance that they bought in that neighborhood, and it was a year before having broadband. They we're using capped 4g lte. Became very expressive.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:02 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
People in cities have no idea how lucky they are. Many rural areas are without internet.
I know a guy with a 20 million dollar estate with no broadband and terrible cell reception (to the point he frequently goes outside to talk on the phone!). Broadband is less than 3 miles away for everyone else.

I was stunned when he told me that he didn't have cable TV/broadband. Like most, I took it for granted that everyone had it!

Old 12-16-2017, 08:47 AM

757 posts, read 838,631 times
The problem is that so much of "normal" life revolves around internet access. Banking, bill paying, appointments etc. True enough you can wait on paper copies and stamps but the ease, security and overall access to our modern world requires internet. Preferably a decent speed.

When house shopping I used my smartphone to look for wifi signals in the neighborhood. It lit up. A major issue though is non competitive providers. You can have company X or you can have company X. Ironically, the US is one of the lesser "wired" nations albeit it is a big area.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:52 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I know a guy with a 20 million dollar estate with no broadband and terrible cell reception (to the point he frequently goes outside to talk on the phone!). Broadband is less than 3 miles away for everyone else.

I was stunned when he told me that he didn't have cable TV/broadband. Like most, I took it for granted that everyone had it!
That's part of the problem when moving to rural areas and small towns, taking for granted that things you're used to in urban areas will be available.

There are reasons why small rural hospitals don't have a cardiac care unit (some have closed their pediatrics units), Thai fusion restaurants aren't there, the grocery stores aren't the 100K sq. ft. ones you're used to, the gas station doubles as the coffee shop, etc.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:18 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's part of the problem when moving to rural areas and small towns, taking for granted that things you're used to in urban areas will be available.

There are reasons why small rural hospitals don't have a cardiac care unit (some have closed their pediatrics units), Thai fusion restaurants aren't there, the grocery stores aren't the 100K sq. ft. ones you're used to, the gas station doubles as the coffee shop, etc.
We have a gas station in a neighboring town that has a coffee shop, Subway and Chinese restaurant all in the same building. Welcome to small town living! There are post offices in houses and they're open 3 hours a day Monday through Friday....no home delivery there! You have to go to your po box.

If it wasn't for CD, I would have never even heard of Thai fusion! No such thing around here. I don't expect there to be in my lifetime either. There's just not enough people to support it.

Our hospital closed the ob/gyn wing down a few years ago....not enough ob/gyn docs in the area anymore. A few retired and that was it. Now you have to go over a half an hour away for a hospital with an ob/gyn wing. And it's not a great hospital. It's a small rural hospital where patients are frequently taken by ambulance an hour away to a major medical center.

I don't even live in the middle of no where. Yes, it's rural, but it's not Kansas rural. Definitely, not Montana rural. There's different types of rural also. People don't seem to be aware of that either. There really are people in this country who live 100 miles away from the closest WalMart. I know that will hurt some heads.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
Yep, blame the person who hires an agent and thinks they are going to get some assistance. You know as well as I that what you are saying is not possible.

I called the internet provider when buying my current home and was told the highest high speed internet was available. Then when they came out to the house they bumped me down to the lower one. So how is a buyer supposed to know?

They would expect that a professional in the know about real estate would maybe know something about they area they are selling houses in.
People expect a Realtor showing them a rural area property would know about things like the Internet availability to a particular home.

Impossible. Impossible for the following reasons.

1: What may be available along one road or to one particular property, may not be available along another road or to a particular property. When one looks at rural property, if you ask about a certain level of Internet the Realtor may not even know the meaning of the terms you are using referring to your needs. The reason they would not know, is what you are asking may be available in a large city you come from, but the people living in that rural area may not even know what it is as it is not in that area, or runs under another name.

In University Real Estate Law classes, we were advised the Realtor should refer you to the local providers, so you can ask the provider about the particular services available to that particular property. Example, the Realtor may say Cell Phone service is available to this property and be correct. But you may have a different service that is not available to that particular property. The other alternative, is to check if it is available using your own cell phone. Don't expect the Realtor to know answers to questions about cell phone service, from your provider.

Note some of the Realtors on this thread, hate septic systems, and don't want to sell property with septic systems. These are city Realtors, with a city Realtor mentality. Talk to a real country Realtor and they will tell you that you need to have the septic inspected. They send cameras down to inspect the entire septic system including the train fields. A well operatic system does not have problems, if it is treated with the respect it needs to keep operating correctly. I know. We are on a well and septic system. We had our septic system pumped and inspected 10 years ago, and was found to be in perfect condition and just keeps operating with no problems. We do not have a garbage disposal, as that is a major problem causer for problems.

Note that city Realtors hate wells in the country, period. Wells can be good or bad thing. A well may go dry in some areas of the country in the summer. A well may become contaminated, depending on the location, and other factors. We have a well. You drill through a hard rock and hit an aquifer at 35 feet, and our well goes down 60 feet so even if water level falls a little, we will have water. We draw from the same aquifer that the city uses with their well less than half a mile from our well. We have all the water we will ever need, including water to run an acre of underground sprinklers for landscaping.

A true story about septic systems, and heating problem to a home. It was located just outside the city limits, in an exclusive Brick Home subdivision. Really nice homes. My wife wanted one that came on the market, when the original owner sold business that was growing like crazy to a national firm, and retired real young, and had bought a small mansion to live in.

This home had the reputation that the septic system was no good, and had to be pumped every month. It also would not heat, and the entire heating system had to be replaced. It was a 15 year old home. The Realtors were not even showing it, and telling people the septic system would not work and the heating system did not work. It was priced so much below the market, I had to check it out.

Called the sewer service that had done the monthly pumping and asked him about the septic system. He told me that there was nothing wrong with it, except the owner had a huge above ground swimming pool year around, covering the entire drain field so it could not work, so it was pumped monthly. Told me there was no problem. I filed this away in my mind. I was an investment realtor and did not sell homes for personal use so I was telling no one what I found.

The heating system, would run but would not circulate air even with the fan system working well. I crawled under the house and inspected the furnace. I had a light and a screw driver with me. I found a long metal plate held by two screws. I took it off and found the filter. It had a inch and a half of compounded dirt on the intake side, that was like dried mud. Took it out, put the plate back on and the heating system worked perfectly. The furnace filter had never been changed in 15 years as they did not know where it was. I put the filter back, and went to my office and made an offer on the home. I got it approved within an hour. I then sent over my crew to repaint it inside, and put in a top grade of carpet throughout, and new flooring in the kitchen and baths. Suddenly we owned one of the nicest homes in town at a very cheap price.

When we were moving it, one of the best agents with near 20 years experience that lived across the street, came over to see me. He told me of the two problems. If it had not had the two problems he would have bought it, as it was nearly twice as nice as his house and his cost a lot more. I gave him a tour, and then showed him the furnace worked, and told him about the septic problem that did not exist. He said it was a good lesson to him, to check with the experts, and not guess.

Don't expect a Realtor to know things out in rural areas of the country, about things you have in the city such as high speed internet. He/she may only know dial up service, and when you ask about Internet he tells you the truth that it is available. Check with your provider, don't just listen to the agent. And the speed, may change around the different areas, depending on how much service they have on that branch line, and if overloaded the may cut you to a lower speed as the quote above tells about. Or you may find that there are no more hook ups available in that area, while a mile away there may be available hookups.

Things are different in rural areas, and rural areas of this country are much bigger parts of the country than the cities cover.

As things may change depending on slight changes in the terrain, some areas of town have one level of Internet and others another. Cell phones may work if you have one particular service, but not on others, and possibly not even be available a quarter mile from where it is available.

Don't expect a Realtor to have all the answers as to what services you can get at a particular home. 3 houses down, it may be altogether different from what is is at a particular home. Some homes may be able to get Internet hookups as that trunk is overloaded, but you may not be able to get it at another home, you may not be able to get the level of service you want, or they may want thousands of dollars to run any type of service to a home.

Don't expect a rural Realtor to have all the answers about services you require. Check with the providers yourself.

Same with cell phone service. It may work next door, but not on this property. It may be an altogether different service, and you will have to change providers. In the City the agents will know what is available. Out in the more rural areas of the country where it may vary between houses 1/2 mile apart, or in some cases next door, don't expect the agent to know everything about the services you need. Check it out yourself with the available providers.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Yep... homes keep getting more sophisticated and homeowners not... the gap continues to grow.

There is a home built by my very good friend... really magnificent on a couple of landscaped acres... retired Telco Engineer and old school.

Did his own 3 array solar, has fire sprinklers before required, sophisticated irrigation/ alarm... well and city water with pump station for well... even a signal when mail is dropped.

The widow is in way over her head and there are no children... what was a masterpiece of engineering/design is now a headache... she had several realtors over and they were dumbfounded as to what they were even looking at... all work needing permit had a permit.

It is not hard to cause septic and well problems... start by using the septic as a trash cam, add anti bacteria soaps and lots of bleach or don't have a lint filter on your washing machine will get you there quicker...

If these things are important... and a garbage disposal... by all means avoid septic.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:35 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
People expect a Realtor showing them a rural area property would know about things like the Internet availability to a particular home.

Impossible. Impossible for the following reasons.

1: What may be available along one road or to one particular property, may not be available along another road or to a particular property.
A different road means you are in a different town or a different county.

In rural areas everyone knows if there is a town with internet access or cell signal.

Nobody confuses what town they are in.

What you are saying would only make sense if you had 2 or more roads in the same town [ie, urban].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate