Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:51 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

I am planning on selling a lot that I own. There is an existing building all the way to the back. It is constructed of block and I am going to say it's about 15 ft x 15 ft and 12 ft high. The floor is dirt and it needs some repair. On 2-3 blocks near the bottom, there is a step crack and the block has started separating a couple inches. The rest of the block looks sound. At the top, where the gables are, the wood needs replacing. The roof looks to be sagging somewhat. It's basically used for storage. I hate to knock down a usable building but I am trying to figure out what's going to be best for resale. Also, the person that I purchased the lot from has agreed to remove it but I need to let them know right away. If not, it will be my responsibility to do whatever I decide. I don't have time to get a contractor out there on such short notice. I am looking for opinions on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:45 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
If you do not remove it now, you will probably need to be willing to remove it yourself as part of your offer to the next buyer (cha-ching).

However, if you improve it there is a small chance that it will help make the lot more attractive. Nonetheless, it all depends on whether the building is permitted by the county, particularly with regard to location and lot lines.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:17 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Maybe toss into the mix of ideas...is there an insurance concern? is there a security issue as far as people sneaking in the building?

Also, consider block is very heavy to move yourself.

Also, consider that in some places a structure is allowed as-is even in some state of disrepair...until it is being worked on and then there are all kinds of requirements.

On the other hand, maybe you could do some repairs and sell the lot with a storage building. Consider if a storage building is significant in your area.

You could do work at the eaves. You could put in a floating floor version. Again, local requirements coming into play. Those cracks in the bottom blocks though...is it actually the blocks or a coating over them? That could be significant particularly with how heavy the rest of the blocks are on the bottom blocks.

Do you know someone who could easily assess the repair work effort/time/cost? That would be the easiest decision maker in my mind.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I am planning on selling a lot that I own.
There is an existing building all the way to the back.
The person that I purchased the lot from has agreed to remove it but... I need to let them know right away.
How long is 'right away' exactly?

Quote:
It is constructed of block and I am going to say it's about 15 ft x 15 ft and 12 ft high.
The floor is dirt and it needs some repair.

I hate to knock down a usable building but I am trying to figure out what's going to be best for resale.
I am looking for opinions on what to do?
1) Leave it be... and let the BUYER decide what they want.
2) Have YOUR seller tear it down and clear the land... once the buyer passes on it.

Do you have a buyer yet?

Old 03-19-2018, 02:37 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Would the cost/effort be a hassle for whoever buys it (I'd assume a builder/developer?)

I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like its the type of thing a builder/developer is pretty well sorted to get rid of if he wants to rather than you having to hassle with it...Or he leaves it and parks material in there to keep it dry.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:49 PM

Right away means a day. I wish I had more time to get a contractor there. They are doing work on the house behind me and want to get it done at the same time. There are a couple areas with step cracks that are separating the blocks by a couple inches which concerns me. The roof is dipping in the middle as well. I would like to leave it but I don't want to have to front the cost if the buyer doesn't want it. I don't have a buyer as of yet. I do have 2 possible builders but it also may just be a person that may comes along and buys it. It would make a good storage unit for a builder.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:02 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Is it a "grandfathered" structure? If you remove it, will another building be allowed to be built on the lot or not? I wouldn't remove it until I found that out. I know people who have removed old garages only to find out they could not replace them with new ones. Oopsie.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Right away means a day. I wish I had more time to get a contractor there. They are doing work on the house behind me and want to get it done at the same time. There are a couple areas with step cracks that are separating the blocks by a couple inches which concerns me. The roof is dipping in the middle as well. I would like to leave it but I don't want to have to front the cost if the buyer doesn't want it. I don't have a buyer as of yet. I do have 2 possible builders but it also may just be a person that may comes along and buys it. It would make a good storage unit for a builder.
For me the couple inches of separation would be a no-brainer. I'd remove it.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Is it a "grandfathered" structure? If you remove it, will another building be allowed to be built on the lot or not? I wouldn't remove it until I found that out. I know people who have removed old garages only to find out they could not replace them with new ones. Oopsie.
It most likely is grandfathered. Although, I am able to put another building as long as it meets setbacks.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:09 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
You can get it removed at no significant cost?

Get. Rid. Of. It.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate