Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,458 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out the smartest way to handle an upcoming move with my family.

My mother (72) is retiring in the next few months - she's finally decided it's more bother than enjoyment. We all live together in the house she owns completely.

After she retires, we plan to move to a new house that she pays for 100%. Not talking about an expensive house here -- maybe up to $175k tops. She has enough to pay this with her savings at present. Her current house is not in great shape and will probably get sold to a flipper for maybe... $80-100k. Her credit is great. She's in great health if that matters. My credit stinks and I do not have a huge chunk of savings or investments.

Questions:

Is it better to just buy a house outright with cash and have basically nothing left other than her SS and small pension income? Or should she get a mortgage (before or after retirement?) and put 50% or some other huge amount down?

Obviously, I have an income that can cover all living expenses for all of us, including whatever a mortgage would be on that value of house.

In my uneducated-about-real-estate head, it makes sense to get a mortgage before retirement, buy a house, move, then sell this house asap, pay off the mortgage asap, and enjoy life. Mostly to have some financial cushion in case something expensive happens.

Am I wrong? Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 11:09 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Trying to figure out the smartest way to handle an upcoming move with my family.
My mother (72) is retiring in the next few months...
MOM should visit an attorney who specializes in elder law matters.
Some objective 3rd party to hash out her concerns and ideas and who can help with the legalities.

She should do this VERY soon and do so **without** your "help"...
and before she makes any changes in her legal work status...
and absolutely before she even considers making any other financial decisions or changes.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:20 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
I see the potential for elder abuse here.
MrRational writes wisely.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
for real. your credit stinks, and you have no cash beyond your next paycheck, and you're however old and living with your mom without any stated emotional/physical care need of hers.

and you want to try and give her financial advice?

Old 06-28-2018, 02:31 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,458 times
Wow. I was just looking for opinions from people who perhaps knew something about real estate so I could pass opinions on to her. And I get accused of elder abuse? Just wow.

A lot of very odd and insulting assumptions here.
She doesn't have concerns. She has a plan, as well as all her faculties.
I absolutely have money beyond my next paycheck -- where that came from I have no idea.

No one ever just tried to help someone gather information to help them? She's not that internet-savvy. Oh well.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times
Quote:

My mother (72) is retiring in the next few months - she's finally decided it's more bother than enjoyment. We all live together in the house she owns completely.

After she retires, we plan to move to a new house that she pays for 100%. Not talking about an expensive house here -- maybe up to $175k tops. She has enough to pay this with her savings at present. Her current house is not in great shape and will probably get sold to a flipper for maybe... $80-100k. Her credit is great. She's in great health if that matters. My credit stinks and I do not have a huge chunk of savings or investments.

Questions:

Is it better to just buy a house outright with cash and have basically nothing left other than her SS and small pension income? Or should she get a mortgage (before or after retirement?) and put 50% or some other huge amount down? This is tough to answer because we don't know what monthly debt is on her credit report and how much income she will have post-retirement. I'm not a fan of putting the entire nest-egg into a house and not having access to it, especially at an age when $$ will be needed for health care, etc.

Obviously, I have an income that can cover all living expenses for all of us, including whatever a mortgage would be on that value of house.

In my uneducated-about-real-estate head, it makes sense to get a mortgage before retirement, buy a house, move, then sell this house asap, pay off the mortgage asap, and enjoy life. Mostly to have some financial cushion in case something expensive happens. Depends how far the new house is from the current job, and what her HR department would say on the Verification form (if they might mention her pending retirement.)

Am I wrong? Any recommendations?
If she puts a big chunk down on a new mortgage, have her look into a Reverse mortgage as it will eliminate a monthly payment and keep her cashflow available for other needs.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Clear up your credit, have your mother loan you the down payment (with papers), and you buy the house and pay the mortgage.

This will protect your mother's retirement funds.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
MOM should visit an attorney who specializes in elder law matters.
Some objective 3rd party to hash out her concerns and ideas and who can help with the legalities.

She should do this VERY soon and do so **without** your "help"...
and before she makes any changes in her legal work status...
and absolutely before she even considers making any other financial decisions or changes.
Yes. The advice she gets will probably benefit her in more ways than the real estate decision.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:40 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Wow. I was just looking for opinions from people who perhaps knew something about real estate so I could pass opinions on to her. And I get accused of elder abuse? Just wow.

A lot of very odd and insulting assumptions here.
She doesn't have concerns. She has a plan, as well as all her faculties.
I absolutely have money beyond my next paycheck -- where that came from I have no idea.

No one ever just tried to help someone gather information to help them? She's not that internet-savvy. Oh well.
Hmm, not assumptions or accusations per se but they can't help but be possibilities. Don't you plan on living independently of your mother? Dealing with your own credit hurdles and making housing decisions for yourself? The life you've been living has been convenient for you, but could be increasingly less so for her. Another house purchase, modest at that seems to be, might not be in her best interest at all. Especially if it takes her savings to do it. No way. She may not be making hard decisions about herself because of concern for you. Is that still even fair? Time to think of her first, then yourself. An important side effect of doing this is that YOU will become the independent adult you should be. At her age, even with her good health and faculties all it takes is a fall, a bump on the head, an infection or simple illness to change all of your lives quite quickly.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:13 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
If she puts a big chunk down on a new mortgage, have her look into a Reverse mortgage as it will eliminate a monthly payment and keep her cashflow available for other needs.
Although I don't like Reverse Mortgages, this might work for Mom by using her equity to support her. I also think a visit to an elder law attorney would be beneficial so she can have all the proper documents taken care of.

I left home when I was 17 yrs. old and haven't looked back so I just can't imagine how this would work. I missed a few meals in my younger days but learned to work two jobs so it didn't happen often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate