Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a property that is an exclusive listing. I gave the MLS # number to my agent and she said its not listed. However it's on realtor.com and on the brokerage website(ie keller williams.com). I even drove by and there is a lockbox on the property so I know it's listed and for sale. I don't know if my agent is lazy, or not being straight with me, but does anyone know what is going on?
Does the fact that this is an office exclusive listing mean that no one from another brokerage can show the property?
How do I see this property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 11:02 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I'm looking at a property that is an exclusive listing. I gave the MLS # number to my agent and she said its not listed. However it's on realtor.com and on the brokerage website(ie keller williams.com). I even drove by and there is a lockbox on the property so I know it's listed and for sale. I don't know if my agent is lazy, or not being straight with me, but does anyone know what is going on?
Does the fact that this is an office exclusive listing mean that no one from another brokerage can show the property?
If you have an actual MLS number, any MLS member should be able to show it, unless showings are restricted entirely.
MLS members join the MLS to share listings.

If you have a number from a third party site that is not an actual MLS number, it may not be available for other agencies to show.

Go to an other agent's real estate search site, or your agent's search site, and search for it via MLS number, and by address.
If it turns up on their sites, you should be able to view it with your agent.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you have an actual MLS number, any MLS member should be able to show it, unless showings are restricted entirely.
MLS members join the MLS to share listings.

If you have a number from a third party site that is not an actual MLS number, it may not be available for other agencies to show.

Go to an other agent's real estate search site, or your agent's search site, and search for it via MLS number, and by address.
If it turns up on their sites, you should be able to view it with your agent.
It's on realtor.com,zillow,hotpads etc etc, but it is not on other agency cites that usually show all listings. There is an MLS number. It is called a Weichert exclusive listing((which is a well-known real estate brokerage in my area, not sure if it is not national).
Do you know what a Weichert exclusive listing is. Has anybody had any experience with this/know what this means?

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:21 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 12:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
in inverse ... other than in NYC ....

1. it is possible to have an "office-only listing", but in this day and age it would be highly unusual.
2. It would not be accomplished on the standard form any real estate association uses.
3. It also wouldn't appear on Realtor.com for sure, unless it said that you could ONLY use the listing brokerage
4. if you have reason to believe your agent isn't being straight with you, then that's a conversation to have immediately to straighten out, because ....

5. IMO, the most probable thing is you've given her the wrong MLS number. if you ALSO gave her a street address, and neither MLS or street address is working, then and only then is there some oddity. Send her the page from Realtor.com and the webpage from kw.com

But as in another recent thread (pocket listings), if it's an "office listing" or "exclusive listing", the chances it would ever appear with an MLS before being sold are remote.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:16 PM

since we were typing together - send your agent the Realtor.com and Weichert.com webpages and direct her to get to the bottom of it ASAP.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
since we were typing together - send your agent the Realtor.com and Weichert.com webpages and direct her to get to the bottom of it ASAP.
Thanks,

I had originally sent her the listing on weichert.com and it has the mls # as well as the address, so not sure what's going on.

Last edited by jdm2008; 04-22-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 01:09 PM

Is your agent a male or female? You've told us both.

If you sent him/her the listing and they say "it's not on the market" ... then you need to ask them to clarify. "Not on the market YET, but coming next weekend"? "Not on the market, it went under contract already/before they listed it for public availability"? "Not on the market, it closed 2 weeks ago"? "Not on the market, it was for a short period of time, but now shows withdrawn. Let me ask the listing agent what's going on for you"

Old 04-22-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Is your agent a male or female? You've told us both.

If you sent him/her the listing and they say "it's not on the market" ... then you need to ask them to clarify. "Not on the market YET, but coming next weekend"? "Not on the market, it went under contract already/before they listed it for public availability"? "Not on the market, it closed 2 weeks ago"? "Not on the market, it was for a short period of time, but now shows withdrawn. Let me ask the listing agent what's going on for you"
Female that was mistyping

Old 04-22-2018, 04:49 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Female that was mistyping
There might be two MLS systems. I live in a city with its own MLS, and sometimes Portland agents take local listings and put it on the Portland MLS and not the Salem one. I have no way of knowing about those listings unless my client tells me about it.

Maybe it is in an out of area MLS system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate