Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:38 AM

510 posts, read 449,057 times

Advertisements

I purchased a condo two years ago. It’s in a quiet building, in a decent area, but I just don’t like condos. To me they are overpriced glorified apartments with their own sets of problems.

I would sell but rents in my geographic area are so high. I would probably have to pay $300 per month increase, at a minimum, to get an apartment.

Very frustrated. I remember the days when homes were affordable and rents for full-sized apartments were manageable.

Anyone else feeling these frustrations? If so have you done anything to combat your frustrations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Sell & buy something more to your liking.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:59 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
So you want to sell your glorified apartment to move into an apartment? Do I understand that correctly?

There has been no time when rents were really affordable and house available to purchase for anyone. When rent was lower, so was the paycheck. It's always been a struggle for low end of the pay scale to afford a place to live.

One difference, though, is that local governments have shut down residential motels and forced garage and basemen apartments to be closed up. The really cheap places are gone because the government insists that they meet middle class health and safety standards. No more apartment for half the going rate because there is no bathtub.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:08 PM

716 posts, read 557,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
I purchased a condo two years ago. It’s in a quiet building, in a decent area, but I just don’t like condos. To me they are overpriced glorified apartments with their own sets of problems.
What are some of the problems you're having?

Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Quote:

I would sell but rents in my geographic area are so high. I would probably have to pay $300 per month increase, at a minimum, to get an apartment.

Very frustrated. I remember the days when homes were affordable and rents for full-sized apartments were manageable.

Anyone else feeling these frustrations? If so have you done anything to combat your frustrations?
I may be in the market for another rental.
Where?

Old 04-26-2018, 01:13 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Moved to a lower COL area.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:29 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:

Better an affordable glorified apartment than pay $300 more for an unglorified apartment.

You should be grateful, sound like you have a nice place in a decent area in a quiet building. Rents are only going to go higher, a condo mortgage won't go up only the HOA fees and taxes might, but rents should outpace that unless there are no reserves and a major repair is need in your building.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:25 PM

569 posts, read 440,438 times
It might also cost you on taxes if you are eligible for mortgage interest deduction (assuming you financed the condo.)

Old 04-26-2018, 02:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Are you just venting?

Old 04-26-2018, 03:12 PM

601 posts, read 459,146 times
I admit I have put off looking at moving from my apartment to a condo due to fears about quality of life issues like sound insulation being worse than my current place, which may be difficult to really determine before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate