Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
Yes. I even debated saying "live in girlfriend" instead of "live in partner"-- I should have done so, on reflection.

Its interesting to me the fact that many posters want details that don't matter and then get upset if one leaves facts general. I got great advice in this thread without revealing gender and most didn't bat an eye.

Just an update for you- the LIG has been told she is being picked up at the end of the week. She is very cagey about whether or not she will cooperate with this plan.
Picked up by one of her children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 AM

193 posts, read 147,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Picked up by one of her children?
Yes. To take her back to the casita in Arizona.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,210 times
How long were the deceased and live in girlfriend together? If its a matter of years then her only (albeit big) mistake was not marrying the deceased, which would have turned the tables on everyone involved.

I would ignore any family members who are hard-up and most interested in a cash grab. Gently (but firmly) give the girlfriend time to make other living arrangements. I would put aside some proceeds from the estate sale for her. She's lost a life partner and a home. If nothing else, she can use the money to help soften her landing or ease the burden of whomever is now taking her in.

Sorry for the passing of a loved one

Old 07-10-2018, 12:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
How long were the deceased and live in girlfriend together? If its a matter of years then her only (albeit big) mistake was not marrying the deceased, which would have turned the tables on everyone involved.

I would ignore any family members who are hard-up and most interested in a cash grab. Gently (but firmly) give the girlfriend time to make other living arrangements. I would put aside some proceeds from the estate sale for her. She's lost a life partner and a home. If nothing else, she can use the money to help soften her landing or ease the burden of whomever is now taking her in.

Sorry for the passing of a loved one
The original poster said that they were living together for five years and that she was completely supported by her new boyfriend. As someone in her 70s and only being together for five years the GF did not lose "a life partner" or a home. She has been completely supported by her BF's children for the seven months since his death.

Yes, a loss is difficult, but more than 25% of the widows in my widow/widower grief support group have had to move out of their life time home (mostly due to financial issues) after being married for 25 to 40 years. To me, a live in girl friend, of only five years, having seven months to move out really "overstayed her welcome".

If her BF wanted to provide for her would have married her and/or provided for her in his will (that he had updated shortly before she moved in with him).

Old 07-10-2018, 03:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
This individual does NOT want to sell the property and wants LIG to be able to stay as long as she wants, rent free, because this person believes that the deceased would have wanted that.
That's silly. If the deceased had wanted that, he would have granted her a life estate.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:56 AM

13,245 posts, read 7,295,079 times
In this case the LIG hasn't gotten to an attorney it sounds like because if she had things would have ended differently once those attorney's smell money they latch on like a pit bull. They love these things because the more they are able to fire up the emotions they more money they can extract.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 AM

643 posts, read 329,072 times
I have heard of live-ins being called " gold diggers"

This live-in sounds like a " house digger"

Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
In this case the LIG hasn't gotten to an attorney it sounds like because if she had things would have ended differently once those attorney's smell money they latch on like a pit bull. They love these things because the more they are able to fire up the emotions they more money they can extract.
There's no money to smell. She was just a roommate, a tenant, legally.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 PM

13,245 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
There's no money to smell. She was just a roommate, a tenant, legally.
That's not true she can prove she had a relationship with the person easily I forgot what state this happened in but all kinds of case law that supports this stuff. She can contest a will and tie it up in court yes there is money 800k home. Her attorney can depose people to prove she was in a long term relationship most people are afraid to commit perjury they will tell the truth about what their relationship was. I saw it happen in the end it was far cheaper to settle for a small portion of money to get rid of them then fight in court.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:37 PM

643 posts, read 329,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
That's not true she can prove she had a relationship with the person easily I forgot what state this happened in but all kinds of case law that supports this stuff. She can contest a will and tie it up in court yes there is money 800k home. Her attorney can depose people to prove she was in a long term relationship most people are afraid to commit perjury they will tell the truth about what their relationship was. I saw it happen in the end it was far cheaper to settle for a small portion of money to get rid of them then fight in court.
most states don't honor common law marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate