Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 09:55 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times

Advertisements

I've had former residents drop by our house in northern VA. and also our house in California. Both situations were a little different than what the OP is describing. They weren't total strangers; I knew their names and that they were genuinely former residents, since I'd been getting their junk mail for years. I've always been amazed how mail for former residents keeps showing up, even if I go to the post office myself to file the forwarding address, and even after 20 or more years.

The woman who stopped by the California house enjoyed the tour and shared some really interesting bits of information with us. She stayed about 15 minutes, and I later saw her a few times in the grocery store.

The couple who stopped by the northern VA house didn't enjoy it as much. The moment they walked in the door they noticed we had taken down some wallpaper and I think they found that disturbing. Then they were embarrassed about being disturbed (because, after all, you should expect to see things like that).

I tried to make them feel comfortable, but they were embarrassed and wanted to leave, so it ended up being a very short peek in the house, handing over some mail, and that was about it. I actually was a little sad to see them go, there were things about that house I would have loved to have explained (like what certain outlets were for; never did figure all of them out, LOL).

I suppose things have gotten more dangerous in recent years and it probably isn't a good idea to let people do this anymore. Although I might, depending on the situation. I've stayed in touch with the former owners of our newest house and am Facebook friends with them. If they want to stop by, I'd be ok with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Got a postcard in the mail addressed to the first owner...

It said it has been 41 years since your last visit... please call the office to schedule...

I did drop it by the former owners and we all got a good laugh out of it.

Dental practice that changed hands and was reaching out to all past patients.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:22 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
I got to see my father's childhood home in the Hudson Valley when I was in college. My grandparents had sold it a good 35 years before and the buyers were still there! I was with my uncle and he pointed out a lot of neat things.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8C8eXaR2WM

Old 07-02-2018, 12:12 PM

335 posts, read 801,151 times
I visited my childhood home in Southside Birmingham AL in the early 90s, about eight years after we moved out. The people who bought it from us were still there and kindly showed me around. I told them how the cracks got into my old bedroom window (boiler explosion in Bessemer) but decided not to tell the ghost stories. They were far better off financially than we had been in the 70s when we lived there and they had remodeled the house top to bottom. I was glad it got the TLC it deserved even though it looked like a Laura Ashley store had exploded in there. I believe they have since sold it and now I have no idea who lives there, although I was thinking of painting a small portrait of the house and mailing it there when it turns 100 in two years. Would that be weird? Yeah, probably.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:23 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
I visited my childhood home in Southside Birmingham AL in the early 90s, about eight years after we moved out. The people who bought it from us were still there and kindly showed me around. I told them how the cracks got into my old bedroom window (boiler explosion in Bessemer) but decided not to tell the ghost stories. They were far better off financially than we had been in the 70s when we lived there and they had remodeled the house top to bottom. I was glad it got the TLC it deserved even though it looked like a Laura Ashley store had exploded in there. I believe they have since sold it and now I have no idea who lives there, although I was thinking of painting a small portrait of the house and mailing it there when it turns 100 in two years. Would that be weird? Yeah, probably.
I don’t think that would be weird - it would be cool!

Old 07-02-2018, 12:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
I have no idea who lives there, although I was thinking of painting a small portrait of the house and mailing it there when it turns 100 in two years. Would that be weird? Yeah, probably.

Wow, what a cool thing that would be to receive in the mail. To minimize any possible weirdness I would keep it just a simple rolled piece of paper, nothing too fancy. And don't ask for payment, of course.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:46 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
In the past, people would ask the current owners/renters of the homes they grew up in if they could visit and think and talk about the past, for nostalgia.

I doubt that happens often today.

If a stranger shows up at your doorstep, young or old, and tells you he/she grew up in the house you are occupying now, would you let that person in and reminisce?
No. You don't open your door and let people in without a prior appointment. Otherwise they could come in and commit a crime. Or you don't worry about that in Texas because every member of the household including the dog is armed?

Old 07-02-2018, 12:52 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
No. You don't open your door and let people in without a prior appointment. Otherwise they could come in and commit a crime. Or you don't worry about that in Texas because every member of the household including the dog is armed?
Hahahahah.

I am with you on this one! So strange to me how many people complain about having strangers in their house when its for sale but will invite everyone in when its not. And as someone says in this thread if I was intending to rob you I know just what tale I would tell. I think people throw caution out the window if they have a chance to show off.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:59 PM

335 posts, read 801,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Wow, what a cool thing that would be to receive in the mail. To minimize any possible weirdness I would keep it just a simple rolled piece of paper, nothing too fancy. And don't ask for payment, of course.
I would paint it on a 5"x7" card and keep it simple. Glad other people like the idea! As the Miranda Lambert song says, it's "The House that Built Me" so I'd like to do something special for it's 100th year. I'll include a pic in the card from the 70s so the current owners can appreciate the old paint scheme. It was...well, not as attractive as it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate