Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fridge, or no fridge?
Of course you sell a house with a fridge! 66 83.54%
Who the heck leaves a fridge in a house they're selling? 13 16.46%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:10 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Are you SURE you want an extra refrigerator? They are hard to get rid of.
They're also super clutch when you're entertaining - or just when you don't want to go back in the house to grab another beer.

They're really not that hard to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 11:17 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
In San Diego? Nope - Just get a decent stainless kitchen suite and skip the fridge. Super common
Agreed. My sister in Lakewood (Long Beach) was told by her realtor that she needed to replace her missing dishwasher or the house wouldn't sell. Problem was that the house was older with a smaller-than-usual spot for the dishwasher, and it wasn't easy to find a new one that would fit.

Not to worry, the house sold within the week for the full price, in cash, to someone who immediately ripped out the entire kitchen and remodeled anyway. I simply can't imagine that a missing refrigerator would cause an otherwise desirable condo in San Diego not to sell for a very good price.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:18 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
People buying a new house probably don’t expect a refrigerator to be provided. But people buying a previously owned condo in the price range you described would probably expect that one would be provided.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:19 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
When I sold my house, the fridge wasn't listed as conveying but I really didn't want or need it. I had planned to sell it or give it away if the buyers didn't want it but they actually did so I sold it to them for $1. The expectation is usually that unless specified, the fridge doesn't come with the house.

Getting rid of the old one sounds necessary - have you looked to see if you could rent one? That might be a cheaper option. There are too many variables at play with purchasing a new one. She buyers might already have one or they might want a nicer one than what you end up buying. Tough call.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
So, we're selling a condo soon. The fridge needs to be replaced... the water dispenser got rusty, and it's black and we're going to do a quick reno with stainless. So I'm going to take the fridge for our garage, and was looking at new ones, and my wife is like WTF, you don't sell a house with a fridge, they never come with fridges! And I'm sitting here thinking, I've seen some houses that come without, but it seems to me that they usually do!

So, the battle begins!
My house had a newly renovated kitchen when we moved in. There was a Microwave, Range, and dishwasher, but no fridge.

We looked at another place that had a new kitchen, and it had an obvious scratch-n-dent fridge in the kitchen that I assume would have come with the place given that it was a flip. In that case, the fridge (and other things about the workmanship) were a turnoff. This fridge looked like it had gotten way behind on his payments to Vito, and Vito sent Fat Sal to have a conversation with his baseball bat. It seriously looked like someone had whipped it with a bat.

Anecdotally, I've talked to a few friends that have bought or sold houses and the Fridge was left. At least twice, the buyers asked the sellers to leave it.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:37 PM

524 posts, read 574,821 times
I always leave the fridge. Leaving it has more to do with not wanting to move a fridge than anything else. And then there is the question of will your old fridge fit in the new place or will the new place come with a fridge. I also like a refrigerator to fit well, so buying one specifically for a given kitchen works best for me.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:24 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
If everything else is going to be replaced, then I’d say replace the fridge too. I’d find it a bit offputting to have all new appliances and no fridge. It’s one thing if nothing was new and it seems like a new set was needed anyway, but particularly at the condo price point, I think people would rather have a full set of new appliances than to have to hire someone to put in a new fridge.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:58 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
So, we're selling a condo soon. The fridge needs to be replaced... the water dispenser got rusty, and it's black and we're going to do a quick reno with stainless. So I'm going to take the fridge for our garage, and was looking at new ones, and my wife is like WTF, you don't sell a house with a fridge, they never come with fridges! And I'm sitting here thinking, I've seen some houses that come without, but it seems to me that they usually do!

So, the battle begins!
Actually they do more and more lately. Years ago this was true but nowadays because moving expenses are so high, people leave not only the refrigerator but washer and dryer as well. Look at other condo listings in your area and see what appliances are included.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:05 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Every co-op and condo that we looked at had a refrigerator. The unit that we ended up buying had a fully renovated kitchen with brand new stainless stove, microwave mounted over stove and refrigerator. Interesting thread. I had no idea that it was a thing to not include a fridge.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:14 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
If it's broken, replace it and you could say it is negotiable in the listing. It typically would stay with the home in my market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate