Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I've come to the conclusion that there must be an awful lot of realtors out my way who thought it would be a way to make a quick buck and really shouldn't be in this business.
How is this an example of making a quick buck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 02:18 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
How is this an example of making a quick buck?

Sorry to give the wrong impression, I didn't mean this to be an example of that at all. I'm just trying to figure out what sort of person does flaky things like making appointments and then blowing them off. I don't think it's the people who take it seriously and really wants to succeed in this profession. Of course, maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, to me, the explanation is it must be people who thought they would make a quick buck at it. Soon enough they'll be off trying out their the next "big" career idea, and then another after that.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I hardly EVER answer the app questions wanting feedback, it's just too cludgy and the questions never fit. But I will talk to a listing agent who calls wanting feedback.

Usually, there's not feedback the seller can do anything about anyway... client either likes it, or not.

Hmm, you've got a point there when it comes to the app questions. The app my realtor used only had 3 questions, as I recall. Did they want the property, what did they think of the price, and I think the third one had to do with if they liked the lot. I could see how someone might not want to answer it if the questions didn't really apply to what they actually liked or disliked.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that there must be an awful lot of realtors out my way who thought it would be a way to make a quick buck and really shouldn't be in this business.
No argument here.

Quote:
Also frustrating was people who visited the house and couldn't be bothered to give feedback. How long does it take to answer an e-mail or text, or return a phone call?
Feedback is highly overrated, and too many consumers have been misled to believe that it is essential or mandatory.
And, too many listing agents slam-dunk buyers agents who do give honest feedback. So, even when you get it, it is often generic stuff like, "Floor plan didn't work for this family."

To Diana's point, yes, the canned questions in the apps are useless, and I don't usually bother with them.
It is no one's business if the house made the buyers' short list, what we think of the price, etc. If my client has interest, I will ALWAYS either ignore the question on price, or mark it as, "Too High."

Give me an open field for comment, and I usually enter some thoughts.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:13 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Well, I think the OP is under the impression the seller always has to accept a showing time. If you are having dinner guests, even family, I wouldn’t ask them to leave or cancel for a showing. I wouldn’t do this all the time, but if I was tied up with something and it was extremely short notice I wouldn’t hesitate to say that it was not convenient. I understand late and no shows but yes a phone call should be made to the scheduling service if your agent uses one.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that there must be an awful lot of realtors out my way who thought it would be a way to make a quick buck and really shouldn't be in this business. It's the only thing I can think of to account for what is basically unprofessional behavior. (IMO, anyway, I mean all you have to do is call to say you aren't coming or you'll be much later than you thought) We asked our realtor about it the times a no show happened to us, and she swore upside and down that nobody ever tried to call her. She found it frustrating. Also frustrating was people who visited the house and couldn't be bothered to give feedback. How long does it take to answer an e-mail or text, or return a phone call?

Which is not to say all are like that. There are many who ARE very professional! But boy do you have to sort the wheat from the chaff.

if your location is still using some system of "call the listing agent to set up an appointment", then I can see how "last minute" and "no shows" occur frequently.

In the Triangle, we use an app, an online/internet tool (when I'm at the office) and an 800#. It seems like most sellers now are doing their showing approval by text message. That means no voicemails to the listing agent, VM from them (or the 800# service) to Seller, and a return call from the Seller.

As to feedback, I've found there's 3 main kinds:

*very interested, will show to the spouse/go back for another look since we saw so many and may write an offer. send me the disclosures, etc.

*House shows well/priced well; this particular feature of the house was a no-go for us. And sometimes it's just the 2nd half. And doesn't everyone love it when a well-presented (complete info) home with a 2nd floor master gets dinged for "well, they wanted a 1st floor master" (umm, read the info on the house!)??

* the house is significantly overpriced for the condition it is in, and/or based upon comparable sales. Sellers don't like to hear this, and I won't leave feedback for an "entry-only" or "limited service" listing for just this reason.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 10-14-2018 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 05:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
When we were selling our house the realtor was supposed to be there with his clients at, let's say 2 p.m. By 3 p.m. I called him and he told me "oh, the buyers thought your house was on a direct access canal and when they realized it wasn't they didn't want to bother seeing it". I told him that's understandable but it would have been nice to receive a phone call telling me that as I had two dogs and a cat to deal with. Like every occupation, you have professionals and then you have the people who are just in it to make money with no consideration for anybody else.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I hardly EVER answer the app questions wanting feedback, it's just too cludgy and the questions never fit. But I will talk to a listing agent who calls wanting feedback.

Usually, there's not feedback the seller can do anything about anyway... client either likes it, or not.

My favorite is the multiple choice "What do you and your clients think about the price? Too low? Too high? Just right?

Back to the original topic of being late or no-show for showing appointments. It's almost always the buyers' fault. It's impossible to know in advance how long people are going to linger in each property. If I put together a list of eight properties to see in one day and they linger an extra 15 minutes per showing we'll be two hours late for the last one even as I'm calling ahead bumping everyone's time back. Throw in kids that need to stop for a drink or to use the bathroom, diapers that need changing, Grandma wants to go back to the motel after the third showing, etc. Add the fact that some listing agents don't put their cell phone number in the listing and their office is closed on the weekend and I have no way to let someone know that everyone is too tired to see the last two houses.

Sellers need to realize that agents want to show their house but can't control the timing as precisely as they might want. Hey, we try but life happens. If you want to sell expect surprises and inconveniences.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Doesn't really matter why the clients aren't going to show up, or why they're late. Agent needs to call and smooth things over on all occupied listings. The seller/sellers broker deserves a phone call as soon as you know you're going to be late/no show.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:20 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Wow, I know how frustrating this is. My house took 3 years to sell, with very few showings. It was at the worst time, when the RE bubble burst.

Every time we had a showing, I knocked myself out getting the house perfect, and sometimes they didn’t show up. I think, many times, they might drive by, and not like the curb appeal, or the neighborhood, so they don’t bother to go inside.

Also, never getting feedback is very frustrating for the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate