Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 6,480 times

Advertisements

I know the saying that 'you don't get to pick your neighbors'.... but here is a question contrary to that...

Say the house next door to you was for sale. You notice one afternoon some very unsavory looking individuals (for whatever reason, insert your favorite bias here) are looking at the house. Knowing full well at that moment that you wont be able to live next door to those people if they decide to purchase, you need to nip it in the bud.

For example, say you knew of a deficiency in the property or the area that might deter a buyer, would you initiate a conversation with the individuals at that moment and warn them of this? Would you make something up in hopes of sabotaging their interest? What other way would you attempt to derail the situation immediately?

Surely someone will say a person has no right to do such a thing and the answer is to move. However, if that is not possible and your comfort, sanity and safety are on the line by these unsavories, what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 10:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon432 View Post
I know the saying that 'you don't get to pick your neighbors'.... but here is a question contrary to that...

Say the house next door to you was for sale. You notice one afternoon some very unsavory looking individuals (for whatever reason, insert your favorite bias here) are looking at the house. Knowing full well at that moment that you wont be able to live next door to those people if they decide to purchase, you need to nip it in the bud.

For example, say you knew of a deficiency in the property or the area that might deter a buyer, would you initiate a conversation with the individuals at that moment and warn them of this? Would you make something up in hopes of sabotaging their interest? What other way would you attempt to derail the situation immediately?

Surely someone will say a person has no right to do such a thing and the answer is to move. However, if that is not possible and your comfort, sanity and safety are on the line by these unsavories, what would you do?
Why not just go outside and [insert your favorite hate crime here]?

Old 11-23-2018, 10:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon432 View Post

So you don't want Black, Latino, or gay people living next to you? You have no evidence that these people would be problem outside of your own bias. Such detestable behavior.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:12 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
Is this the same poster who thought that the people looking at the house next door were casing it or his house and so he called the police? Now I know why he was so upset by them. It had nothing to do with them looking at the house...

Old 11-23-2018, 10:24 AM

I better clarify before it turns into a race riot.

For the sake of the hypothetical, both parties are white. If you prefer, both parties can be black ... you choose.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:26 AM

ps- Latins and Gays are alright too for the sake of argument.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
It doesn't matter. You have no evidence that these people are going to be any trouble except for your biased thinking. People have a right to live anywhere they wish. You don't get to decide.

You believe your safety is at risk? Why? You don't know these people.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:49 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
LMAO I did this once, actually.

Raleigh Court neighborhood in Roanoke, VA. Nice family oriented 'hood, very desired in that city.

A neighbor/friend from a few doors down was over my house once when an agent showed up with a couple to show the house right next door to me. Neither of us liked the look of the folks.

We ran outside and started yapping away at them, as though we were bored Desperate Housewives and nosy as hell.

We carried on, saying how "friendly and close" all on "the block/in the 'hood" were, how we all would be visiting them and getting all up in their business (so to speak), we asked inappropriate/rude qs, we came off as horrid busybodies. We made crass comments. We made comments that would make them not want us for neighbors.

They didn't go in the house for the showing after that! I was thrilled. The house was later purchased by an attorney, a prosecutor for the city. *sigh of relief*

#noshameinclassism

Old 11-23-2018, 11:01 AM

Charleygal-- Please don't call be biased or racist. The only color that matters here is green. Like the money that will be used for a down payment.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
LMAO I did this once, actually.

Raleigh Court neighborhood in Roanoke, VA. Nice family oriented 'hood, very desired in that city.

A neighbor/friend from a few doors down was over my house once when an agent showed up with a couple to show the house right next door to me. Neither of us liked the look of the folks.

We ran outside and started yapping away at them, as though we were bored Desperate Housewives and nosy as hell.

We carried on, saying how "friendly and close" all on "the block/in the 'hood" were, how we all would be visiting them and getting all up in their business (so to speak), we asked inappropriate/rude qs, we came off as horrid busybodies. We made crass comments. We made comments that would make them not want us for neighbors.

They didn't go in the house for the showing after that! I was thrilled. The house was later purchased by an attorney, a prosecutor for the city. *sigh of relief*

#noshameinclassism
Hysterical. And, I don't blame you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate