Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Legally. They can’t. It’s actually the real, legitimate, law.
No it isn't. Where'd you read that, on the back of a box of Cracker Jacks? LOL!

Looking for a DIVERSE neighborhood is not disallowed by the anti-discrimination laws pertaining to real estate.

What is not allowed is for realtors to refuse a minority person access to certain areas with the intent of keeping them OUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:25 AM

478 posts, read 417,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Yes I can. Though that is not actually what I said. It's close enough.

What I said was I expect the buyer's agent to deal with me and not with my son. Whether or not I take his advice on OTHER ISSUES is beside the point.

I can say anything I want. Your inability to UNDERSTAND what has been said is not my responsibility.

Giving the realtor a list is only half the process of house hunting. Realtors are always going on about how buyers must use them because they can show us more than just the houses that make it to a posting on the internet (and not all houses get listed online, either). Using a realtor is supposedly advantageous because they can guide us to new listings, houses that haven't been listed yet, etc.

And I DO expect the realtor to guide me through the legal process of getting the contract written up properly. THAT IS THEIR JOB.

Realtors lecture over and over again about how home buyers who don't go through a realtor are idiots because of all the protections and wonderful help a realtor gives. Either that is true, or it is not.

In any case NONE of that has anything to do with what I asked - which is HOW the HECK do you get a realtor to pay more attention to the wishes and desires of the BUYER instead of trying to sell me on junk I don't like and don't want.
You do that by NOT being bat**** crazy.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
No it isn't. Where'd you read that, on the back of a box of Cracker Jacks? LOL!

Looking for a DIVERSE neighborhood is not disallowed by the anti-discrimination laws pertaining to real estate.

What is not allowed is for realtors to refuse a minority person access to certain areas with the intent of keeping them OUT.
No. They cannot guide based on racial makeup. There’s too much potential liability.

I see now why you always have problems.

You obviously know exactly what you want, go find it - that just seems way easier than your constant gnashing of teeth.

Enjoy your crackerjack *******.

Last edited by CalTex Ranger; 01-31-2019 at 12:36 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
No. They cannot guide based on racial makeup. There’s too much potential liability.

I see now why you always have problems.
I don't care about "racial makeup". I care about diversity. I care about being DISSUADED from areas because they are more diverse than the realtor is comfortable with. If its against the law for a realtor to do that (and it is), they routinely break that law.

I have problems because realtors WILL NOT hew to MY requirements. They insist they know better than I do what I will be happy with in a house.

I always get my way. I'd just rather not have to fight to do it.

The idea that I am not allowed to look for a diverse neighborhood because it is somehow against the law is ludicrous. I DO NOT ASK my realtor where I should look, and I don't like it when they try to talk me out of an area solely because the population of the area is not primarily white.

I also don't like it when they insist on showing me homes in certain areas I've already told them are unacceptable because they are not diverse enough. It is not against the law for me to insist upon diversity.

Last edited by Pyewackette; 01-31-2019 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I don't care about "racial makeup". I care about diversity. I care about being DISSUADED from areas because they are more diverse than the realtor is comfortable with. If its against the law for a realtor to do that (and it is), they routinely break that law.

I have problems because realtors WILL NOT hew to MY requirements. They insist they know better than I do what I will be happy with in a house.

I always get my way. I'd just rather not have to fight to do it.
Then quit fighting. Go. On. The. Internet. And. Find. Your. House.

Call the listing agent. Go there to view. Make your offer, and have an attorney draw up the contract (maybe $250) Hire your inspector. Go there for the inspection.

Seriously. I don’t understand how this is so hard.

ETA: ok. I see you’re looking at Far West TX (Lubbock). Good luck finding a diverse neighborhood.

Last edited by CalTex Ranger; 01-31-2019 at 12:45 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 01:40 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What's funny is that agents cannot "steer" clients - cannot talk about any protected classes at all - ever.
Really? I believe you probably mean they cannot legally steer clients or talk about protected classes.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:00 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as an "inordinate value on diversity".
Period paragraph.
Eating "green" bologna, trying to get friendly with an attack dog, and knowingly moving in to a neighborhood rife with bigots are ALL things I know better than to do. Clearly our values are very different. When it comes to where *I* am going to live, my values trump yours.
You don't appreciate my values? Fine. I could not care less. But my realtor had better take them seriously.
Okay, I'll bite. Certainly there is such a thing as worrying too much about "diversity", if it makes you blind to more important aspects of living in a certain place. Note that I stated MY preference on how diversity fits into a hierarchy of priorities, not YOURS, it's just not that important to me, and, I think, "overblown" by the PC SJW's. But I have to ask how is it that residents of a particular neighborhood are automatically "bigots" if people of other races (or demographics that constitute your definition of diversity) have chosen not to move into that neighborhood? Or do you believe that all primarily white neighborhoods are full of people who burn crosses on front yards? Did it ever occur to you that YOU may the extremist? I'm automatically a "bigot" because I didn't marry outside of my race, and you have somehow earned "diversity points" because you did?

Since its inception as a country, as I'm sure you are aware, people of European ancestry have constituted the majority of its occupants. People of African descent have held a constant 12-14% for the past 3-400 years, primarily due to the impacts of slavery. People from "Hispanic" cultures have gone from a population less than the traditional black race, to overtaking that percentage, in a relatively short period of time (maybe 50 years?). The Native American presence has gotten continually smaller since Columbus. And there has always been a small minority of other ethnic groups in the country, which is getting larger by the year. But my point is, even if the country's population was completely homogenous, every neighborhood would still be dominated by people who identify as "white" on the census. How does that make them "bigoted"? Because they exist? And because people of other races, ethnicities, and cultures, tend to self-segregate because they place a high value on not watering down their voting power, culture, etc.? Double-standard, much?

Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times
Quote:
EVERY single time I've ever had to deal with a realtor, they annoy the he!! out of me.

I am a buyer, and I hear you.

Our very first realtor, when selling our house in NY, gave carte blanche to anyone who called her to head over to my house (alone or with a realtor) to see it any time of day or night, even though we told her do NOT do that. It was a house with a narrow pathway between us and the neighbor's house. I was taking a shower and unfortunately our bathroom faced this narrow pathway and I heard voices in the alley on a Sunday morning - there was a family at eye level with me when I peeked through the blinds staring back at me and banging on my back door to come in. We had people knocking on the front and back door, one time both at once!! She also argued with our RE attorney about receiving her commission on city transfer taxes (she wanted that extra $100 and in her mind, that was part of the commission). Yeah no. He told her to pound sand, she tried to complain about him to me and I told her to pound it twice.

In CT - we sought out our own house, used a realtor. She wasn't much on negotiating our requested items, she just wanted to close the deal. She said it was because she was a sellers realtor. Ok. 4 years later, she has kept loosely in touch so we sell with her hoping for a better outcome and when I had people coming at us left and right for our place (market boom, 2004) and tried to call her, she screamed into the phone that she was "with her DAUGHTER AND HER NEWBORN GRANDDAUGHTER and don't bother her again, she'll call ME when she has time."

Moved from there to NC, where we told the realtor - we want to see this (farmhouse). Nope you don't want that, you want this here, this new stuff. NO, we want to work on a house. And don't want outside this county. Takes us to the next county over, and harps on this horrid subdivision that is in concept stages and still dirt piles, with just a few houses available for show. We said NO, take us back to our desired county and stop redirecting the search. Turns out, he bought a house in that dirt pile subdivision and got a discount on his upgrades for every client he steered there.

I won't bother with the drawn out story about our last realtor who forged an email to get our buyers anything they wanted in the negotiation stage, and said we'd pay anything they wanted (land re-grading, new garage doors, new garage door openers, steam clean the whole house, etc)...

Yeah so we haven't had any luck either.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I caught that too, but only thought "LOL, how can a neighborhood be "too white"?" But maybe the buyer is a person of color who would feel more comfortable with a shared culture, who knows. On the other hand, they could be someone who places an inordinate value on having "diversity". Personally, I never understood that point of view, I'm way more concerned with things like crime, appreciation, taxes, services, etc.. Discrimination is not always a bad thing, it's what keeps you from eating green bologna and trying to kiss strange Dobermans on the nose.
You assume diversity brings crime and automatically reduces property values and services?

OP, choose the houses you want to visit. Don't let the realtor decide on the list. That's the benefit of the internet.

As to the OP saying the neighborhood is too white, folks are free to have their authentic reactions.

If discrimination isn't a bad thing, are you signing up for it?

Last edited by charlygal; 01-31-2019 at 06:53 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 06:34 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Just had this conversation with a co-worker yesterday, some people look for ways to be annoyed and offended. And it's always obvious when someone falls in that category. Especially when they put it in writing and you can go back and read it over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate