Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 PM

6 posts, read 16,179 times

Advertisements

I put an offer on a house in late November 2018, completed inspections, couldn't come to an agreement with the seller (who is also the broker, the house was flipped), and sent the signed papers to cancel the sale around December 15, 2018. The seller refused to sign the paperwork (and sent some immature text messages to my realtor), and said he will 'drag this out as long as possible' so I wouldn't get my earnest money back from the escrow account. He also disputed my demand to the escrow company to release the funds, but did not provide a reason. He then relisted the property for sale, while refusing to sign my cancellation. The property then went pending, and I waited for 8 weeks for him to sign the cancellation to release my earnest money.

On 02/01/2019 I filed a small claims suit requesting the funds be released, as well as $1000 for not having a good faith reason for not signing it (which is in our contract). On 02/04/2019, he magically signed the document to cancel the sale, and to release my funds (the paperwork had not yet been served to him). I later found out that on 02/04/2019 the house officially sold/closed to someone else.

Because I already have this lawsuit filed and paid for, I figure I might as well go to the court date and follow through. I am wondering if in addition to the $1000 for not having a good faith reasoning for not signing, I am also thinking of adding another $4k for breach of contract. He was still under contract with me, while he went through with the other sale. Any advice on this? Any chance I will win in SCC? Any statutes or laws that he violated in regards to the contract would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 12:13 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Once you accepted the return of your escrow funds, your purchase cancellation was completed and you no longer have a claim against the buyer. There is nothing to sue for and all a seller will do is show you have already got your money and the basis for the suit no longer exists.

Just cancel your court date, and forget it.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:09 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
?? YOU decided to cancel, not the seller. The reason you gave was that you and the seller "couldn't come to an agreement" of terms. You were never "under contract", you were still negotiating. So, the seller was free to consider the other offer and accept it. Despite your accusations of "dragging this out", you also did get your earnest money back. But that's not enough...you want even more money for breach of a contract you did not even have. Drop it and move on.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-09-2019 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 05:18 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
It ~might~ help to say where you are.

Everything depends on the contract you signed, and the form and procedures vary quite a bit by locale.

Have to say oldtrader's post rings with a certain clarity and simplicity.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_With_Lima_Beans View Post
I put an offer on a house in late November 2018, completed inspections, couldn't come to an agreement with the seller (who is also the broker, the house was flipped), and sent the signed papers to cancel the sale around December 15, 2018. The seller refused to sign the paperwork (and sent some immature text messages to my realtor), and said he will 'drag this out as long as possible' so I wouldn't get my earnest money back from the escrow account. He also disputed my demand to the escrow company to release the funds, but did not provide a reason. He then relisted the property for sale, while refusing to sign my cancellation. The property then went pending, and I waited for 8 weeks for him to sign the cancellation to release my earnest money.

On 02/01/2019 I filed a small claims suit requesting the funds be released, as well as $1000 for not having a good faith reason for not signing it (which is in our contract). On 02/04/2019, he magically signed the document to cancel the sale, and to release my funds (the paperwork had not yet been served to him). I later found out that on 02/04/2019 the house officially sold/closed to someone else.

Because I already have this lawsuit filed and paid for, I figure I might as well go to the court date and follow through. I am wondering if in addition to the $1000 for not having a good faith reasoning for not signing, I am also thinking of adding another $4k for breach of contract. He was still under contract with me, while he went through with the other sale. Any advice on this? Any chance I will win in SCC? Any statutes or laws that he violated in regards to the contract would be much appreciated.
Over and done.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Those reading this thread who are in Florida, this is why you want your escrow held in a real estate broker's escrow account, NOT the title company's or with an attorney. In the event of a dispute, if the escrow is in a broker's escrow account, the state has a free dispute resolution process to determine to whom to disburse the escrow. No lawyers or legal fees required to get your money back.

Those in any state other than Florida can disregard this. Do any other states have a free escrow dispute and disbursement process?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:22 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Those reading this thread who are in Florida, this is why you want your escrow held in a real estate broker's escrow account, NOT the title company's or with an attorney. In the event of a dispute, if the escrow is in a broker's escrow account, the state has a free dispute resolution process to determine to whom to disburse the escrow. No lawyers or legal fees required to get your money back.

Those in any state other than Florida can disregard this. Do any other states have a free escrow dispute and disbursement process?
Not in North Carolina.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:55 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
“Couldn’t come to an agreement with the seller” - on what? Repairs?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:48 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
If I had the spare time to harass the realtor/seller, I'd let it go through the small claims court process and at least recover the filing fee and interest/penalty on the escrow. Any judge is going to rule that 8 weeks is unreasonable.

If that isn't enough, I'd file a complaint with the state licensing bureau and I'd make a call to the consumer affairs office in the state attorney general's office to see if they care. A realtor needs to have a license. They need to follow the law and not F with consumers. You're not going to get any money out of it but you can make them miserable if you're willing to press the point.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 16,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
?? YOU decided to cancel, not the seller. The reason you gave was that you and the seller "couldn't come to an agreement" of terms. You were never "under contract", you were still negotiating. So, the seller was free to consider the other offer and accept it. Despite your accusations of "dragging this out", you also did get your earnest money back. But that's not enough...you want even more money for breach of a contract you did not even have. Drop it and move on.
I disagree that we weren't under contract. He signed paperwork and agreed to our offer, took the place off the market, and we had several inspections completed which we provided to him. We then sent our request to repair (a LOT, giant hole in ceiling, water under house found upon inspection, sewer line in yard was busted and had tree roots growing through it which needed replacement), and credits we wanted, to which he denied almost everything. I believe we were under contract once we signed all the paperwork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It ~might~ help to say where you are.

Everything depends on the contract you signed, and the form and procedures vary quite a bit by locale.

Have to say oldtrader's post rings with a certain clarity and simplicity.
Right, sorry! This is in California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
“Couldn’t come to an agreement with the seller” - on what? Repairs?
Correct, repairs. We paid for several inspections which found numerous items (obvious giant hole in roof which caused a huge bubble of water in ceiling, standing water under the house, plumber found the sewer pipe was disconnected from the city line and had tree roots growing into it, along with several items not up to code with the city, AND numerous open permits on the house that were never finished). We sent a request to repair and credits wanted to close on the house, which he denied almost all of. We then cancelled the contract, and he refused to sign paperwork in order to release funds, relisted the house, and only signed the paperwork once the house closed to someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If I had the spare time to harass the realtor/seller, I'd let it go through the small claims court process and at least recover the filing fee and interest/penalty on the escrow. Any judge is going to rule that 8 weeks is unreasonable.

If that isn't enough, I'd file a complaint with the state licensing bureau and I'd make a call to the consumer affairs office in the state attorney general's office to see if they care. A realtor needs to have a license. They need to follow the law and not F with consumers. You're not going to get any money out of it but you can make them miserable if you're willing to press the point.
I filed a complaint right away with the Dept. ofReal Estate, however they said it is a civil issue. I guess I can go just for the $50 SCC filing fee I paid, and ask for more to see if the judge agrees. In CA, the seller is supposed to release ALL disclosures on the property. I am wondering if he let the new buyers know everything WE found wrong with the house (we paid for general house inspection, plumbing, pest, fireplace, and appraisal). I may just give the new owners our inspections, to see if they are aware of all the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate