Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times

Advertisements

If the buyer is paying attention and has seen several houses he knows roughly what properties are worth. So the potential for persuading him to pay more than market is not very great, maybe 5% or so. As noted the amount gained by the agents is not great and the chances of blowing the deal are not small.

Now conspiring to hide defects- this could come back on the buyer. The buyer does not want to lie on disclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 AM

63 posts, read 78,684 times
I have been involved in well over 300 Realtor based real estate transactions and have not ever witnessed such a thing. Not even a hint of something like that has happened. What does happen all the time is agents reducing the commission in an effort to get both parties to the closing table in the event of a lower than contract price appraisal or even a repair on the home as a condition of financing on the appraisal. I have witnessed that a bunch of times.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
OP: why the paranoia? Do you think this is happening to you?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena222 View Post
Does this ever really happen? Do buying and selling agents ever work together behind the scenes to dupe a buyer so that they can get an increased profit to share, or is this just paranoia? Anyone ever experienced this, or heard of it?

thanks

I would say this occurs no more or less than when two divorce attorneys hired from the same city know each other. Most would never risk their licensure and ability to earn a living, but some people get bold when they get a little too comfortable and bad apples make themselves known.

Not to minimize this behavior, I'm certainly not implying the occurrence is a fraction of a percent or smaller. In a small town, litigation between two residents using two local attorneys may very well have a standard "song and dance" or course of action regardless of how many billable hours actually go into each case.

At the end of the day, if the services rendered have mutually helped both (all 4?) parties involved to get a better outcome than would result without representation or agency, would anyone cry conspiracy?

Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
In the age of Zillow, why do you even need a "buying agent"? You can find your own houses online and, especially if it's not your first rodeo, negotiate the deal yourself.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:59 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
In a purchase transaction, it turned out our agent and the seller's agent were in the same office. The seller's agent was the "Alpha Dog." Our agent rolled over and played dead all the time. I don't think it was conspiring to maximize sales price; I think our agent was afraid of getting on the wrong side of the seller's agent. Our transaction was just a transaction to her - but she has to work with the Alpha Dog seller's agent for years to come.

During negotiation, we'd tell our agent "ask for XYZ" and our agent would respond "Alpha Dog won't go for that." We'd say "Alpha Dog is just the seller's agent; we want the question to go to the seller." "Alpha Dog won't go for that," she would repeat.

Sigh.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In the age of Zillow, why do you even need a "buying agent"? You can find your own houses online and, especially if it's not your first rodeo, negotiate the deal yourself.
Sorta. But you have to realize the agent who might appear to be working for you since they are handling paperwork, etc. is actually NOT working for you... and is working for the seller.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Sorta. But you have to realize the agent who might appear to be working for you since they are handling paperwork, etc. is actually NOT working for you... and is working for the seller.
Meaning what? That they might purposely mess up the paperwork if they weren't representing you? I don't think anyone could legally/ethically do that. In fact, buyer and seller can totally make a deal on their own, hiring a realtor JUST to handle the final paperwork.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-11-2019 at 03:21 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 04:05 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Every time I see one of these goofy threads, I wonder if many of the participants actually have ever bought or sold a property.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Every time I see one of these goofy threads, I wonder if many of the participants actually have ever bought or sold a property.
Bought five, sold four. Used a realtor for only a couple of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate