Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:41 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Inclusionary zoning is typically applied to large developments. In exchange for including a certain percentage of moderate income units the developer will typically get a higher density than the property was originally zoned for.

It's usually not used for high dollar developments (whatever that means where you are) but most commonly for those with mid - range prices.

The new name for the housing is "work force housing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalystTherapist View Post
Inclusionary Zoning

Does anyone know of places where mandatory low-income construction does not exist? I'm particularly interested in Texas and North Carolina since they're relatively low in total tax burden.
Very few areas of USA mandate inclusionary zoning, at least state wide.

New York City for instance only requires it when developers get something from the city (zoning variance for instance) or land/area was rezoned and as part of that process inclusionary housing is required of a portion or all new development.

Balance of your query can be answered here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclus...ng#In_practice

Old 03-09-2019, 09:36 PM

79 posts, read 68,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Anywhere in rural NC.
And, you will only have county taxes. No city taxes.
Yeah, but the lack of zoning basically means inclusionary zoning. So, you can build a big, beautiful and expensive house and expect someone to pull in a trailer on the lot next door...

Old 03-10-2019, 06:11 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrailertrash View Post
Yeah, but the lack of zoning basically means inclusionary zoning. So, you can build a big, beautiful and expensive house and expect someone to pull in a trailer on the lot next door...
The OP did not ask about the neighbors.
The OP asked about zoning.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I doubt it exists here. None of the newer housing developments here seem to have it, at least.
Some of them have CC&Rs and HOAs to keep the riff-raff under control. They can't keep them out, though. Riff-raff are too wealthy these days.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:38 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't think it is actually zoning. In Central Oregon, it isn't zoning, but in order to get the building permits for a large apartment building, the building has to include a couple of low income units. Otherwise, the permit process doesn't seem to ever get finished.

It's social engineering rather than zoning.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM

114 posts, read 212,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Are you planning to build a building? NC rents are cheaper than average.
Nope. Simply looking for like-minded people and hopefully stumble upon my definition of a unicorn: low taxes, good employment base, educated (and wealthy) populace, and low crime.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:54 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Problem around here is old landowners who were here before 'gentrification' and still want to keep a few hogs and two trucks on blocks beside a slowly collapsing barn next to 750K to million dollar homes. And given the county has a 'right to farm' ordinance they can keep doing it forever. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining I just find it funny that people move to the 'country' and then complain about the noises and the odors. I'm somewhat in the middle and just watch both sides.

Last edited by Marka; 03-15-2019 at 05:08 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 PM

114 posts, read 212,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Problem around here is old landowners who were here before 'gentrification' and still want to keep a few hogs and two trucks on blocks beside a slowly collapsing barn next to 750K to million dollar homes. And given the county has a 'right to farm' ordinance they can keep doing it forever. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining I just find it funny that people move to the 'country' and then complain about the noises and the odors. I'm somewhat in the middle and just watch both sides.
Interesting scenario. I would have to say that the old landowners would be in the right in this case since they own their property and have been living that way before the newcomers. The newcomers should have more sense / consideration as to where to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate