Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 01:51 PM

478 posts, read 418,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
You can fit the same number of people, regardless. Walls or no walls. But do you want to HEAR 25-30 people talking at once?

If you don't have them over often, it might be fine. You don't like hearing your one.other.person banging pots and pans... imagine when it's regularly many. My siblings and our families go over there and there are easily 40 people. Forty people at the same noise level.

It's horrific, I promise. It's worth it to have smaller rooms within the same space to accommodate you and a single, noisy, pots-and-pans banger AND accommodate letting 25-30 people separate themselves and their 8-12 conversations in relative peace. That's my reality so I can't advocate for open concept. It would never work for us. But if it works for you, fine. I would just never buy such a place and it's hard to imagine wanting a large, open space for few people. Or many people. lol
I think you're wrong about it being "horrific" (hyperbole much?) I love the huge room I have that opens onto the back deck via french doors. When I'm pulling all the meat off the grill, I can still watch the game and prep and talk to everyone.

My life is different - who knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 02:27 PM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
I think you're wrong about it being "horrific" (hyperbole much?) I love the huge room I have that opens onto the back deck via french doors. When I'm pulling all the meat off the grill, I can still watch the game and prep and talk to everyone.

My life is different - who knew.
You did/do. I'm glad it works for you.

I set my laptop on the patio counter, grill, and am removed from 4-100 people. People who join me are welcome. But we're not ALL present, together. I don't want to have 4-100 people talking over me and my show or over me and 2-8 people who comfortably can chat without interference.

My husband puts the game on his phone, a tablet, or a laptop, when he's doing it. When my 40+ close relatives of 10 adults, some aunts/uncles/cousins, and 20-30 children are roaming and audibly and/or physically intrusive, I can tell them to go away and there is SOMEWHERE TO GO AWAY. When my dad is pontificating about his life experience and being loud and demanding and bombastic, he gets to keep his dignity when I tell him that he's too loud for us common folk and needs to find a better room for the conversation. He's used to having the ENTIRE HOUSE if full rapture, you see? Not at my house. Find your place and thankfully, there's a place for everyone at our house. Everyone can find their place but it won't DEMAND everyone's attention. There are places to slip away and places to blend in. Find your crowd.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 PM

478 posts, read 418,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
You did/do. I'm glad it works for you.

I set my laptop on the patio counter, grill, and am removed from 4-100 people. People who join me are welcome. But we're not ALL present, together. I don't want to have 4-100 people talking over me and my show or over me and 2-8 people who comfortably can chat without interference.

My husband puts the game on his phone, a tablet, or a laptop, when he's doing it. When my 40+ close relatives of 10 adults, some aunts/uncles/cousins, and 20-30 children are roaming and audibly and/or physically intrusive, I can tell them to go away and there is SOMEWHERE TO GO AWAY. When my dad is pontificating about his life experience and being loud and demanding and bombastic, he gets to keep his dignity when I tell him that he's too loud for us common folk and needs to find a better room for the conversation. He's used to having the ENTIRE HOUSE if full rapture, you see? Not at my house. Find your place and thankfully, there's a place for everyone at our house. Everyone can find their place but it won't DEMAND everyone's attention. There are places to slip away and places to blend in. Find your crowd.
Hmmm. I use "outdoors" for that.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:22 PM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Hmmm. I use "outdoors" for that.
Great!

Old 03-18-2019, 03:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I never have 20-100 people at my house. That's sounds horrible to me and not at all a life I have or want experience with. I'd rent a hall if I had to host those numbers.

My house is for me and my family only, 95% of the time. That's why I like what I like I guess. Plus I'm REALLY obsessed with floorplans.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:32 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Maybe open concept is better for extraverts and smaller rooms for introverts. If you can filter out sounds and multitask, fine but I like to concentrate on what I am doing in a room, and when I need quiet I need it or I'll get a headache. We could not have done all the holiday gossiping in the kitchen at my parent's house if it was all open and exposed. lol.

My house is set up with a kitchen that I am taking down a half wall to open up, and has a door to a sun room, but it is a nice stained glass panel door. The living room has wide French doors to a family room, open those doors and that is one large space with lots of light. So it doesn't have to feel closed in although they are all separate rooms. I like having the choice to open or close off the rooms, also for heating and cooling purposes.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:57 PM

732 posts, read 390,877 times
Open = big honkin' kitchen in the living room? No thanks.

I'd make an exception with this.

https://cdn.remodelista.com/wp-conte...emodelista.jpg

I like the idea of a small, hidden kitchen.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:53 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
There's nothing to realize, sweetie. "strange" is your opinion. Cool.

It's not what you prefer. Meh, that's cool. To each their own. Many couple probably prepare for bed differently and might have a different opinion.
Like I said thin skins. Really the claws come out because I dated to say a double sink was strange. The horror!!

Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Like I said thin skins. Really the claws come out because I dated to say a double sink was strange. The horror!!
Strange to YOU. Easy fix and completely benign and understandable!

I sense a mild persecution complex. there were no "claws" LOL. Just actually agreeing that your opinion is cool...but it is your opinion, not a factual correction of some sort.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:35 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I'm looking forward to the day someone realizes that a double sink is strange and writes about that. I don't think I have ever wanted to watch the mate floss while I do my nightly skin care regimen. Sometimes you can really know too much about the person you love..... privacy is golden.
We have just one sink in the master bathroom, but I still floss in front of my husband and we do whatever to get ready for bed together some nights. There's no privacy; it's never even occurred to me to want privacy for that type of stuff. I sometimes wish for two sinks, but our cat likes to sit in the sink and I'm always wiping cat hair out of it, so that would just double the chore, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate