Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Everyone is free to like and buy whatever home they want. .

Until you try to find a house at a reasonable price that hasn't been mutilated in the attempt to chase this trend. If, like most people, you have a finite supply of money, the advice "well, just spend twice as much to have a house to your specific taste built, custom" is not really helpful.

The urgency with which open-plan supporters promote their ideas implies to me that they really wish they didn't live in a warehouse-sized version of their first crappy apartment, but they have so much invested in it that they have no alternative but to claim that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I mean, really, who even wants to be in the same room with their children CONSTANTLY with NO ESCAPE? Who really, really, in reality, not in their fantasies, "entertains" so often that serving that function should be the overriding design consideration of their house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:09 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Open concept has been around a long time, even in mobile homes dating back to the late 60s and it was so they can use the space better and have more room and not have to block out an area that would be wasted. I saw a cheap new build home model and the living room area was a long rectangle with the kitchen in an L shape in one corner, it looked awful, but builders now take advantage of it to save money. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start the whole fad to save on building cost.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:12 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
I really don’t think that’s actually the case, I think what has happened is some builders but not all have went too far with it. Almost everyone with any sense of good taste in homes likes certain aspects open concept, and that’s specifically the kitchen, dining area, and living room really should be all one large open area ideally with a view out the large windows with high ceilings. Where it goes too far is it’s completely impractical for the entire house to feel too open concept, where the thing has 20 foot ceilings and upstairs is all in earshot of the living room, there’s a bonus room with no walls, none of that makes any sense. I don’t get these people who must all be on the exact same “schedule” every single day that they’d be ok with that. I want a large amount of separation between any fun space and any bedroom, I should be able to play a TV at normal volume and it shouldn’t be audible to bedrooms. If that can’t happen it’s too small of a house and / or poor home design.

Open concept doesn’t need to mean the entire house, it just should be the primary common area and there should be in a nice house another large closed off space (bonus / hobby room / theater) for enjoying something that can’t be heard elsewhere.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:09 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Until you try to find a house at a reasonable price that hasn't been mutilated in the attempt to chase this trend. If, like most people, you have a finite supply of money, the advice "well, just spend twice as much to have a house to your specific taste built, custom" is not really helpful.

The urgency with which open-plan supporters promote their ideas implies to me that they really wish they didn't live in a warehouse-sized version of their first crappy apartment, but they have so much invested in it that they have no alternative but to claim that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I mean, really, who even wants to be in the same room with their children CONSTANTLY with NO ESCAPE? Who really, really, in reality, not in their fantasies, "entertains" so often that serving that function should be the overriding design consideration of their house?
lol, yes, so much urgency, they start thread after thread after thread explaining why open plan is better and non-open plan is bad.

Oh, wait, that's right, they don't. It's only the open plan haters doing that.

Get what you want, let the rest of us get what we want and stop trying to convince open plan lovers they are wrong just because you don't like them.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:14 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Are people really trying to say that there is some giant conspiracy that is forcing open concept on the unsuspecting masses? Okay then.

Anyway my new house is open concept for the main living spaces and I am really enjoying it. I personally hate to leave dirty dishes or other food or clutter around the kitchen, so that part is not an issue for me. I live alone, so I do not need to close off spaces because of noise and I like that everything is close at hand. So this layout is really suiting me. It's also a small house, so I appreciate the breezy openness and natural light throughout. Oh yes, and I am in the Northeast -- imagine that! Anyway, it works for me and that's all that I care about.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:49 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I did a thread on this years ago and now the chickens are coming home to roast. I've always HATED open concept homes!"

The same geniuses that designed open concept houses designed open concept schools where children could browse from place to place to learn. Teachers quit in droves to teach in more traditional schools. The open concept folks have open concept marriages and now they want open concept borders.

There are a few traditional families left in America and they are moving to rural America.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:18 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I makes me cry to see some of the old classic housing being "flipped" with all the nice spaces, separated by archways and practical walls or built-ins, being opened up and looking like a loft with a bedroom and bathroom doors opening into it. The layout of many places just don't lend themselves to being open and I've had fantasies of buying one I know about and putting the damn walls back up!

Old 03-17-2019, 06:08 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No chickens are coming home to roost. People who don't like open floor plans are bizarrely invested in trying to convince the people who do like open floor plans that they are wrong.
Not to get philosophical here but I think you nailed it for both this conversation and just about every other conversation, opinion, feeling, etc. in our country these days.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:32 AM

307 posts, read 256,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I makes me cry to see some of the old classic housing being "flipped" with all the nice spaces, separated by archways and practical walls or built-ins, being opened up and looking like a loft with a bedroom and bathroom doors opening into it. The layout of many places just don't lend themselves to being open and I've had fantasies of buying one I know about and putting the damn walls back up!

Me too! When we were house hunting we came across SO many of these types of homes. I wanted an older home and found it frustrating. I can understand that some of the homes that were "flipped" needed to have certain things replaced but I seriously doubt that any of them needed to have walls removed.

Here's an example of a home in my area that was flipped and sat on the market for at least 8 mths before being bought....after the seller lowered the price by about $15k.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...oog_sse/0_mmm/

Old 03-17-2019, 10:39 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I find it really odd to have such strong feelings about home floor plans, and even odder to drag in politics.

I mean, I like what I like, and figured other people liked what they liked, and we all bought those things that matched us.

That would be like me talking smack because I like tennis shoes, so there must be something wrong with women who like heels.

Variety is good, and everyone runs their homes differently.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate