Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,453,256 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. In a repeat of 2009, or any type of recession, which types of properties or homes DON'T sit on the market for years without closing a sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 02:44 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,516,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Title says it all. In a repeat of 2009, or any type of recession, which types of properties or homes DON'T sit on the market for years without closing a sale?
In my area that is homes in good neighborhoods defined by

1) Good schools
2) A mix of ages as retirees can often weather a recession since they aren't relying on work.
3) A mix of home styles, one story and two story
4) Older and established with lush landscaping
5) Mostly homeowner-occupants rather than rentals.
6) Varied home prices and sizes.
7) Non-cookie cutter neighborhoods
8) Not on busy streets, little to no traffic noise
9) Has a neighborhood park/school within the neighborhood
10) active neighborhoods (people are out walking, riding bikes, gardening, etc)

One story homes are always better for resale since they can appeal to more buyers. Retirees generally want one story living.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:47 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,947,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

1) Good schools
2) A mix of ages as retirees can often weather a recession since they aren't relying on work.

One story homes are always better for resale since they can appeal to more buyers. Retirees generally want one story living.

How about- Not in the distant suburbs??

Old 05-20-2019, 04:10 PM

34,146 posts, read 83,178,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
which types of properties or homes DON'T sit on the market for years without closing a sale?
The property that has the features which the buyer in that spot needs.
In this sense feature includes price.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:11 PM

2,489 posts, read 1,571,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Key word: distant. We live in an established suburbia of houses that range from 1960 to the present. My neighborhood has no thoroughfare, and each street ends in a cul-de-sac. We have a little path at the end of our street to an elementary school. In fact, Silverfall above described our area surprisingly accurately. During the so-called Great Recession of about ten or eleven years back there was a slow-down. Houses were on the market here for as many as three to five months, some more. Now, houses seem to go to “pending sale” before I am even aware they are for sale.

We are within a short bike ride to farms and open fields, streams, mountains. But our town is vibrant with theatre, parks, shopping areas, both indoor and out, and restaurants as well. It’s a nice place, but expensive. Oh, and I forgot to add we get snow, lots and lots of snow.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:16 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,516,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
We don't really have that in Oregon, but that might apply to other areas with sprawl.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:17 PM

14,568 posts, read 12,238,523 times
Everything depends on the reason for the recession.

If there are jobs, and banks are still financing, then homes will sell.

If the town is closing up major employers and people are moving away.... then they won't.

I think the better question than which one will sell in a recession, is which one can I afford to stay in during a recession?

Recession is the wrong time to sell.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,972,476 times
Here is made no difference. Nothing sold. There were a few extreme fixer uppers people bought and some tax foreclosures that sold for a song were picked up by opportunists.

However you are not going to see a repeat of 2008-2010. not only did prices crash, the lending industry was in shock. You could not get a loan.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,497,223 times
I think its easier to look for what to avoid. Namely, if your reaction is "Wow, look at how much house I can get for my money," or "If we move HERE we can get a brand new house" or in "Drive-til-you-qualify" land, it's ripe for getting smacked in a recession.

Places that have great schools. Established neighborhoods where one can't buy a brand new house a mile down the road. In some areas, close proximity to Train/Subway stations. Close to major hospitals. Close to major employment centers. To a certain extent you will take it in the shorts during a recession, but some areas are far worse than others. Whether or not a house sits for years depends on how low the seller will go or can afford to go.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,276,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

1) Good schools

that's a pretty good list, although I'd also add some walkable amenities. It doesn't have to be a major shopping area, but the ability to get a cup of coffee or something within walking distance is a priority for a lot of people I know, including me. I'm in a residential neighborhood of a city, though, as opposed to a suburban neighborhood, so that might be a difference in who selects the former over the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate