Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,854,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhoc View Post
No garbage/recycle container visible overnight after truck pickup.

I was in non-HOA community and they have police who checks for expired license vehicle. I could not park it in visible space even it is in front of my garage driveway. It has to be inside the garage.
That makes no sense. There is no law requiring a car to be tagged, only if you drive on a public road. You said this was non-HOA, so who exactly has the police come, and where would the police have the authority consideirng it is not illegal to have a car without tags on private property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I have never lived under an HOA before. I'm wondering what HOA rules you have encountered that took you by surprise. Things to look out for, things that you might not expect someone to actually make a rule about.

A couple of examples:

-A coworker of mine said that in his sister's community you are not allowed to have your garage door opened for more than 15 minutes at a time. A fine "welcome to the neighborhood" when they got in trouble for this while moving in

-A friend said that in his townhome community all vehicles had to be parked head-in, a policy that was aggressively enforced by a contract towing service

I know everyone is responsible for reading and understanding the HOA rules before moving in. I'm just curious what some of the more unusual and/or overly nitpicky requirements are that people have experienced that might have caught you off guard.
I generally view that the higher priced the HOA is, the more issues there potentially is. Some are very basic, $30/mth and all they do is some maintenance of a few areas, and they offer no amenities. $500/mth, have a host of amenities like a pool and community building, off landscaping, etc.

I would look for rules that makes them seem like micro managers. it is one thing to say you need to have two trees and 10 plants out front, it is another to say that then dictate the exact kind, color flowers, etc. It is one thing to say you need blinds/curtains and nothing like garbage bags, but it is another to dictate color, style, etc of them. Little things like this should clue you in the type of HOA and neighborhood it will be to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 06:24 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,278,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I would look for rules that makes them seem like micro managers. it is one thing to say you need to have two trees and 10 plants out front, it is another to say that then dictate the exact kind, color flowers, etc. It is one thing to say you need blinds/curtains and nothing like garbage bags, but it is another to dictate color, style, etc of them. Little things like this should clue you in the type of HOA and neighborhood it will be to live in.
Really good distinction. In an interesting coincidence, I was reading a clickbait article with "nightmare HOA" stories and one couple replaced their window blinds with curtains after their little girl nearly strangled to death on the cord to the blinds. It was a front-facing window and the HOA told them they HAD to have blinds on those windows. They sold the house. Another guy ended up in legal trouble for planting pansies because they weren't on the list of approved flowers. The level of detail in the Restrictions can give you an idea of how picky they are.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,978,933 times
"Rules to watch out for?"
every single one of them.
read the contract or hire
someone who will.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:46 PM

23,601 posts, read 24,139,882 times
In our HOA::

Window coverings must be all white, no other colors.
BBQ units in patios must be covered.
Guest parking in marked spots only.
No overnight parking in guest spots, unless a permit is granted.
Trash cans must be moved and placed back in the garage 24 hours after trash collection.
Noise rules enforced, especially after 10:00 PM.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 PM

6,494 posts, read 10,390,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In our HOA::

Window coverings must be all white, no other colors.
BBQ units in patios must be covered.
Guest parking in marked spots only.
No overnight parking in guest spots, unless a permit is granted.
Trash cans must be moved and placed back in the garage 24 hours after trash collection.
Noise rules enforced, especially after 10:00 PM.
Oh the horror !!!

Such unreasonable rules.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 PM

686 posts, read 725,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Oh the horror !!!

Such unreasonable rules.

Sounds like Hell to me

Old 05-29-2019, 09:44 PM

23,601 posts, read 24,139,882 times
Not so bad, actually. The rules exist to keep the community nice, livable and orderly for all residents.

Quote:
Oh the horror !!!

Such unreasonable rules.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 PM

6,494 posts, read 10,390,522 times
I was only kidding. Can you smell the sarcasm?

Old 05-30-2019, 05:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,702,267 times
Quote:
Oh the horror !!!

Such unreasonable rules.
Permit for overnight guests seems a bit extreme, particularly since people may have relatives coming to stay for holidays or kids coming to stay for summer breaks, winter breaks, etc. I know they have hashed this out a few times in my parents’ community, but since people there have larger homes and not everyone has a functional driveway, they can’t even necessarily fit everyone living in the home’s cars into the garage/driveway.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,462,543 times
Let's see..... what have I heard or experienced....

Window coverings have to be the same type and color
Paint
colors for exterior must be approved or are limited to a certain palette

Plants can't be changed or moved except by the HOA

No grilling except in designated areas

No furniture allowed on balconies in one condo we owned unless it was a very specific type that you had to purchase through the condo board at an inflated markup

Dogs had to poo in a dog poo zone and were not allowed to go anywhere else even if owners picked it up

You could only have one car park in front of your house at a time in one place. All vehicles needed to be in garages otherwise or in a lot at the edge of the community.

Some of these are pretty common but others are not as much. We currently only own one property with an HOA and it's a vacation rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate