Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times

Advertisements

I have never lived under an HOA before. I'm wondering what HOA rules you have encountered that took you by surprise. Things to look out for, things that you might not expect someone to actually make a rule about.

A couple of examples:

-A coworker of mine said that in his sister's community you are not allowed to have your garage door opened for more than 15 minutes at a time. A fine "welcome to the neighborhood" when they got in trouble for this while moving in

-A friend said that in his townhome community all vehicles had to be parked head-in, a policy that was aggressively enforced by a contract towing service

I know everyone is responsible for reading and understanding the HOA rules before moving in. I'm just curious what some of the more unusual and/or overly nitpicky requirements are that people have experienced that might have caught you off guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 12:30 PM

724 posts, read 530,125 times
Those are two definitely picky ones!

There's also a myriad of "porch/balcony" rules that I'd pay attention to. At my condo, you couldn't have a grill visible, no more than 4 items of furniture, no cat boxes or doghouses and no plants.

Of greater concern to me would be the health of the HOA as a whole. I'd be more interested in the Reserve study than a parking rule.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 PM

201 posts, read 199,424 times
No garbage/recycle container visible overnight after truck pickup.

I was in non-HOA community and they have police who checks for expired license vehicle. I could not park it in visible space even it is in front of my garage driveway. It has to be inside the garage.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM

43,085 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Read over the rules and see if they are rules you can live with.
If not, then move on.

"Watch out" for rules that you cannot live with.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:27 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
No commercial vehicles parked overnight. No boats. No RVs. Fences to be of a certain type, and must be X number of feet behind the front of the house. All manner of landscape and exterior paint rules. No real estate signs. In places with balconies, nothing to be hung over balcony rail (towels, rugs, etc).

Old 05-29-2019, 03:30 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
I'm on an HOA Board and we're pretty reasonable. I agree with reading the rules yourself and asking about the finances. Low annual assessments and minimal reserves may mean a big special assessment if the parking lot or roof need to be replaced.

You may also be able to get minutes of the HOA Board meeting; in fact, I'd be concerned if you can't. That would give you a good feel for how well the Board gets along and whether they're dealing with the important stuff or being picky.

I know HOAs can be bad. My niece lived in an HOA neighborhood in SC and they installed metal "eyes" in the ceiling of their front porch so they could use a baby swing hanging from them. They always took the swing back in the house when not in use. An HOA Board member must have snooped on their porch and the HOA wrote them a letter telling them they had to remove the eyes they'd installed in the ceiling of the porch.

They sold the house.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:01 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Read over the rules and see if they are rules you can live with.
If not, then move on.

"Watch out" for rules that you cannot live with.
Thank you very much for basically repeating part of the OP Very helpful

Old 05-29-2019, 04:30 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Look into their financials. Pretty scary stuff.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:21 PM

43,085 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Thank you very much for basically repeating part of the OP Very helpful
If you did your due diligence then nothing should be a surprise.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:57 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you did your due diligence then nothing should be a surprise.
Well, it can be. Example: we have an Architectural Review Board and they have to approve any exterior changes, even if you're replacing something outdoors with a similar product. Let's say you're repainting your home. They don't have a list of "approved" colors. I'm pretty sure lemon yellow, royal purple, etc. would be rejected because they'd stand out like a sore thumb. So would any projects that go on forever or use inferior materials. A picky ARB could give people a lot of trouble with that kind of leeway but ours just doesn't. The only flat rejection I've seen is for a CB antenna because it was clearly against the Restrictions. (A law may be enacted soon which requires HOAs to allow them because they act as part of an emergency network but that's not a law yet.) The plans we submitted to enclose our screened-in deck to make it a 3-season room was approved immediately with a nice note thanking us for improving our property.

That's why the minutes of meetings may help. If you do have plans to improve your new place, it's best to ask before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate