Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,211,903 times

Advertisements

You learned a lesson renting long distance. Its not worth going after him , instead raise the rent and you will get your money back with increased rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 05:01 AM

600 posts, read 756,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Before we all waste our time, did the tenant have a security deposit? Also, what did the PMC tell you about Florida's landlord and tenant regulations regarding rent payment as damages and the burden of proof regarding those missing items?
Yes, there was a security deposit of $1,200, which I will be keeping since the tenant didn't pay the last month's rent. The PMC said that the damages can be referred to an agency.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 PM

10,997 posts, read 22,040,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
Yes, there was a security deposit of $1,200, which I will be keeping since the tenant didn't pay the last month's rent. The PMC said that the damages can be referred to an agency.
What sort of agency, for what ends, and for how much expense to you?

Old 09-11-2019, 05:35 PM

6,504 posts, read 10,420,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I would guess it is a collections agency.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
It is a collections agency. I don't know the specifics yet. I'm still waiting for the property manager to get back to me with an estimate on the costs of the damages.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 4,029,977 times
Quote:
So here the update:

I hired a property management company, and the tenant has moved out. However, he did not pay the last month's rent and caused some damage to the property. Some LED lightbulbs, a light fixture, and the TV rack are missing (stolen).

The property manger took pictures and a video. He is currently working on getting an estimate for the damages.

What should I do now? Should I file a police report for the damages and missing (stolen) items?
Was there a security deposit? Keep enough of it to cover those items. If there wasn't, charge one in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I can't imagine the LED bulbs, light fixture, and TV Rack (do you mean a mount on the wall for a flat screen TV?) cost more than $300 to replace.

So you're down $1,200 in rent that could be worth pursuing. Someone has to undergo the effort on your behalf to try and collect, and effort = money.
And then, even if there's a judgment in your favor, you get to figure out how to collect the money (from someone whom you didn't even get rent from).

Old 09-11-2019, 11:22 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,108,056 times
Quote:
Did you or the PMC comply with Florida's laws regarding the notice of intent to deduct from the security deposit? If so, you will want to sue for the balance of damages so you have a judicial judgement to protect you. If you have not met the timelines for the notice, you may have forfeited your ability to use any of the security and must return it in full to the tenant or face a lawsuit.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Did you or the PMC comply with Florida's laws regarding the notice of intent to deduct from the security deposit? If so, you will want to sue for the balance of damages so you have a judicial judgement to protect you. If you have not met the timelines for the notice, you may have forfeited your ability to use any of the security and must return it in full to the tenant or face a lawsuit.
Yes, the PMC complied with Florida's laws regarding all the notices.

I would need a lawyer to sue since I work overseas, which costs money

What about filling a police report and pressing criminal charges?

Old 09-12-2019, 04:08 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,271,041 times
You consider it theft (criminal) and so do I but, AFAIK, an incident like this, involving tenant/landlord is considered civil

Old 09-12-2019, 02:05 PM

354 posts, read 276,355 times
Quote:
Just use the security deposit to cover the lost rent and damages, eat the balance, and move on to the next tenant (or sell it while prices are up).
I agree and I would just be happy that tenant left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate