Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,525 times

Advertisements

My house was listed about a week ago and it seems like it's been getting decent traffic (both online and in-person). If the views decrease, does that mean its ranking position will also decrease and lead to fewer views (online and in-person)? I'm worried since the view counts are slowing down (I obsessively watch it ) so most of the potential buyers might have already seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 01:56 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,792 times
You’re overpriced.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:30 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
There is no ranking position that I'm aware of. The default might be how "new" the listing is. But in Zillow at least you can sort the results by price, lot size, house size, etc. how ever the person viewing wants to order the houses that meet his selection criteria.

Only if all the other houses are selling really fast, while yours is not, would you get concerned. When I sold my place probably half the views were me wondering if I should re-word the description or put in new pictures.

But a really good picture of the front of the house is quite valuable to getting a lot of views.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:27 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
On another thread, someone wrote in that many views are from Ukrainian bots.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:55 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanita View Post
My house was listed about a week ago and it seems like it's been getting decent traffic (both online and in-person). If the views decrease, does that mean its ranking position will also decrease and lead to fewer views (online and in-person)? I'm worried since the view counts are slowing down (I obsessively watch it ) so most of the potential buyers might have already seen it.

Every listing gets the most hits when new and fresh.
View always taper down, starting nearly immediately.

Redfin is a brokerage with a good brokerage site. Zillow is a crummy site.
Redfin will only show you traffic at that brokerage site. No one knows what Zillow is doing.

Get your agent to send you the MLS stats on views and emails from MLS, which is where most sales are generated.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:51 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Every listing gets the most hits when new and fresh.
View always taper down, starting nearly immediately.

Redfin is a brokerage with a good brokerage site. Zillow is a crummy site.
Redfin will only show you traffic at that brokerage site. No one knows what Zillow is doing.

Get your agent to send you the MLS stats on views and emails from MLS, which is where most sales are generated.
Seems to me that Zillow is bad when the real estate agent is careless (as in I could care less) when they put in information about the listing so there is no information to carry over to Zillow. Agents won't look up HOA information or check county records or even do a heating/cooling check. They don't want to be responsible for anything.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:58 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
it is true that Zillow cannot be better than the information they get. It is also true that unless they choose to get all the information, Zillow can't be as good as consumers deserve.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:17 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
the only thing that really matters is how many people are physically coming to your house, and how many are making offers.

Zillow carries all listings, and appeals to viewers - both serious and looky-loos, across the nation and world. They report 79M unique visitors; we sell about 6MM homes a year. You do the math on looky-loos. As MikeJ said, they both report views on their website.

Plenty of people get "New Listings" sent to their inbox from every real estate website. Some of those are actually interested in buying a home where yours met their criteria. On Zillow, many are not. Either way, they received your listing day 1, and either looked online or didn't in the first several days

Old 09-15-2019, 07:44 PM

416 posts, read 408,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanita View Post
It's meaningless in my experience. Every house I've sold (personally; i'm not a realtor) was due to the open houses. We ran them frequently and pulled out all the stops (house super clean, remove clutter, baked cookies, you name it). Every buyers we've had over the years had attended an open house. Sure, did they maybe find the house online but "zillow rank" had nothing to do with it.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:21 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
Seems to me that Zillow is bad when the real estate agent is careless (as in I could care less) when they put in information about the listing so there is no information to carry over to Zillow. Agents won't look up HOA information or check county records or even do a heating/cooling check. They don't want to be responsible for anything.

Actually, many agents don't release their listing data to Zillow.
That doesn't help Zillow's accuracy either.

But, Z energetically makes stuff up, too, and that also hurts their appraisal accuracy.
My personal home is posted on Z in the wrong subdivision. Correct subdivision location is readily available (and cited in the county records which they quote as a source), if they cared to be accurate.

They also say it has 1.5 baths instead of 2.5 baths. That error exists nowhere but on Zillow.
It goes on and on.
How can their appraisals possibly be accurate?

Then there is their 1.5 stories instead of 2 stories, 6 rooms instead of 9 rooms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate