Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM

13 posts, read 34,880 times

Advertisements

Please, help me out.
I am a seller. It is A/C related issue.
The inspector indicated that the interior evaporator coil and exterior condenser coil sizes do not match, but appear serviceable. However, recommend evaluation by a qualified licensed contractor and repair or replace as needed.

This coil is expansive, $400-$1500.

The 1st owner lived for 2 years. I am the 2nd owner and lived for 1 year. When I purchased it, my inspector didn't point this out. AC is functioning. No one noticed this. I had no problem while living there.

Do I need to replace size-mismatched coils at $1,000? I assume that a contractor will say "replace it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 04:29 PM

106,687 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by withus View Post
Please, help me out.
The inspector indicated that the interior evaporator coil and exterior condenser coil sizes do not match, but appear serviceable. However, recommend evaluation by a qualified licensed contractor and repair or replace as needed.

The 1st owner lived for 2 years. I am the 2nd owner and lived for 1 year. When I purchased it, my inspector didn't point this out. AC is functioning. No one noticed this. I had no problem while living there.

Do I need to replace size-mismatched coils at $1,000? I assume that a contractor will say "replace it"
No one can say without actually checking system pressures and performance

Old 09-16-2019, 04:33 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Please, help me out.
AC is functioning. I had no problem while living there.
What's the problem?
Oh yeah, the BUYER might decide or has no choice but to pass (too little in cash reserves)

Don't volunteer to do the work before you have an offer contract...
but be prepared (70:30; 80:20) that you'll have to do it then.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:16 PM

289 posts, read 224,743 times
Default U8

Quote:
Please, help me out.

Is the inspector saying they don’t match because there is no AHRI number for evap/OD unit combination? I doubt a home inspector knows what an AHRI certification number is much less can figure out if the coil and OD unit are matched. If the inspector is correct, the mismatch is probably because one or the other failed and the repair contractor used whatever they had available rather than doing an exact match mostly likely due to cost. You said the previous owner had it for 2 yrs and you had it for 1 yr - is the system only 3 years old? Hard to imagine a mismatched coil/OD combination for a system that new. What I am thinking is, if the buyer makes a big deal about, get a competent HVAC contractor out to verify what the issue is (if there is an issue) and go from there. Also if is an old R22 system, you have a bigger issue on your hands than if it is 410A.

If it is functioning, I would hold the line on replacing, repairing or frankly doing anything to start with until I see what the buyer does. Also, consider pushing some cost back to your agent if you can .. agents will sometimes take care of smaller repair issues with a commission credit to the buyer from their commission depending on how badly they need the deal. I just had one last month where the seller refused to fix anything - told the buyer you inspect all you want but if you buy it is coming to in “AS IS WHERE IS” condition. The buyer agent came out of pocket $1500 to get the deal done.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
How does it work? Does it get the house cold? Does it cycle constantly?

I am at a loss to understand how a house inspector, unless he also had a history of expertise in AC system design, would be able to tell that there are "mismatched" components. For one thing, the evaporator coil is in its case. Did he take the covers off to check it? That's not something I've seen a house inspector do. And I would expect that to be able to determine the heat exchange capacity of an evaporator, you'd have to take the model number and serial number and look it up.

My guess is that he felt he had to find something, and the evaporator "looked big" or "looked small".

Old 09-17-2019, 06:36 AM

106,687 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How does it work? Does it get the house cold? Does it cycle constantly?

I am at a loss to understand how a house inspector, unless he also had a history of expertise in AC system design, would be able to tell that there are "mismatched" components. For one thing, the evaporator coil is in its case. Did he take the covers off to check it? That's not something I've seen a house inspector do. And I would expect that to be able to determine the heat exchange capacity of an evaporator, you'd have to take the model number and serial number and look it up.

My guess is that he felt he had to find something, and the evaporator "looked big" or "looked small".
the tonnage is usually on the evaporator nameplate as well as the model number usually has the size embedded in the digits of the model number

Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Please, help me out.

No, the buyer can take it or leave it.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:01 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Unless you are selling it as a new house, buyer expected to be buying a used house with used components. A working AC system satisfies the "functioning component" expectation. It's an attempt to get a little bit better deal. Depending on other circumstances of the deal I'd either refuse outright, agree outright or offer a nominal amount to continue towards closing.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
"However, recommend evaluation by a qualified licensed contractor and repair or replace as needed."

The key word is "recommend". If the unit works and isn't at end of life (i.e. 15+ years old), and the electric bills aren't outrageous then I'd say no to offering any concession on this.

The system works.

Where a "matched" set is important is for determining an actual SEER rating. How old is the system? You can usually tell from the outside condenser serial number.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
Quote:
...The inspector indicated that the interior evaporator coil and exterior condenser coil sizes do not match, ....Do I need to replace size-mismatched coils at $1,000? I assume that a contractor will say "replace it"
What are the sizes?
In some cases a 3-ton coil can be put with a 2.5-ton condenser and INCREASE the efficiency/performance!
Did inspector take temp measurements (incoming/outgoing air) differential? THAT'S his job.

If the buyer & inspector wants to play 'ac-engineer' let them do it on their own dime.
If the temp differential is adequate, it works; done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate