Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 12:44 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times

Advertisements

I was talking with a woman at the gym. She's a realtor. English is her second language, but she does very well with it. So I think I understood her correctly to say that our city/county (we're in Gwinnett County in metro Atlanta) will not allow homes with the same facings close to each other since it will look too cookie cutter. ????? I am sure I've seen neighborhoods where all the homes look alike from the outside. I live in a condo complex that's pretty much like this. When I reminded her of this, she replied that neighborhoods with an HOA can all match, but not those without an HOA that aren't true subdivisions/developments.

Has anyone ever heard of this where they live? I know our county has a Quality of Life/Code Enforcement section where they look for violations in neighborhoods like cars on the lawn. But why would they care if every house looks the same?

I really don't think I misunderstood her. She was saying that she fell in love with a house that was just completed and sold the very day it was put up for sale. I asked her why she couldn't have the builder build another one just like it and that's when she replied about the rule about facings not matching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 01:39 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
I’ve heard of a stock floor plan seller or a custom build having restrictions to how nearby an identical, or materially similar version of it can be built by the seller or designer of the house for another client thereby theoretically ascribing and maintaining a certain “custom design” level value to it for the previous client but rarely of a municipality having the same restrictions.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I was talking with a woman at the gym. She's a realtor. English is her second language, but she does very well with it. So I think I understood her correctly to say that our city/county (we're in Gwinnett County in metro Atlanta) will not allow homes with the same facings close to each other since it will look too cookie cutter. ????? I am sure I've seen neighborhoods where all the homes look alike from the outside. I live in a condo complex that's pretty much like this. When I reminded her of this, she replied that neighborhoods with an HOA can all match, but not those without an HOA that aren't true subdivisions/developments.

Has anyone ever heard of this where they live? I know our county has a Quality of Life/Code Enforcement section where they look for violations in neighborhoods like cars on the lawn. But why would they care if every house looks the same?

I really don't think I misunderstood her. She was saying that she fell in love with a house that was just completed and sold the very day it was put up for sale. I asked her why she couldn't have the builder build another one just like it and that's when she replied about the rule about facings not matching.
Even in HOA communities they often build the same plan with several slightly different facades and color schemes so they are not "the same". I would contact the builder and see if they offer this - plus they'd be knowledgable about any local zoning restrictions.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:37 PM

167 posts, read 359,336 times
When we bought a new home the builder allowed the same floor plan to be built beside/across from another but they would not allow the same colour brick so the houses didn't look exactly the same.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:45 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
Some city's ordinances can be as restrictive (or more) than an HOA. We didn't buy in one city because of how overly nitpicky that city was.

But I will say if I built a custom home and my neighbor built exactly the same home with the same facade and color I'd be really annoyed. Why be a copycat, be original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate