Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 13,636 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently have my house in Webster Groves MO listed. Webster Groves is a very hot market with little inventory and a lot of potential buyers. Houses usually move very quick here. We had a decent open house with about 15 couples dropping by. This might have been because a very popular house a few house over had an open house the same day. Since then I only had 4 showings with no feedback and the views/saves online are dropping rapidly. It’s been only 10 days on the market but should I be worried, am I overpriced, anything else wrong? I would love to get some feedback

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...8d&view=public

Thanks,

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 03:18 PM

558 posts, read 436,592 times
I'm not a real estate agent but rather a potential buyer if I lived in your area. I'm already a homeowner, and I would consider your house a fixer-upper in a lot of ways. Your choice of paint, for example, is rather taste specific. I don't like your choice of finishes in the kitchen. It is rather dark and dreary. Pedestal sinks mean the bathrooms are small with no storage. And there is no staging.

None of the above is meant to deliberately hurt your feelings. And I might buy your house, anyway, if it is was priced competitively enough, allowing me to make the type of changes that would make it appeal to me. But if I was a typical cash-strapped buyer, I'd keep looking. The hardwood floors, by the way, are beautiful.

Personally, I'd get out a paint brush and neutralize those paint colors. That alone might be enough to make a difference.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:22 PM

Thank you for your comments. Are you referring to the red paint in the two bedrooms and basement or is there other colors you don’t like? What price would you think would be fair?

Old 07-03-2020, 03:25 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,385,903 times
Wow, Kansas is a lot more expensive than I would have imagined. And what's the average days on market? I wouldn't sweat it if average days on market is a lot longer.

If this is longer than average days on market, then consider dropping the price, or repainting as suggested. I always repaint interior before sale of home, with a neutral light color. One of the best bangs for the buck you can do to make a home feel fresh and newer.

Also, the pictures of the kitchen are fuzzy...did a professional photographer take the pictures or was it from an iPhone? I advise professional photographers as more people are looking online and better pictures make all the difference.

PS - remove all of the pictures as well...they may not be to everyone's taste.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:28 PM

Thanks for your reply. It’s actually in Missouri :-). My realtor took the pictures. I’ll have her look in to that en take new ones. I’ll definitely consider repainting. All pictures and paintings have been removed already

Old 07-03-2020, 03:42 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,385,903 times
I'm curious, is there a reason the realtor didn't hire a professional photographer? I would never use a realtor that didn't pay for a professional photographer, for any decent house listing.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
In my experience, barring any obvious environmental factors nearby, that many showings and NO repeats or offers means it's overpriced.

How did you decide to price it?

Old 07-03-2020, 03:51 PM

I’ll definitely ask my realtor why she didn’t hire a professional photographer. I was kind of surprised by that too.

We decided on this price based on similar listings in the neighborhood and average price per square foot. We didn’t have many showing. only 4 :-(

Old 07-03-2020, 03:56 PM

440 posts, read 241,093 times
I looked at the listing and would not consider it a fixer upper at all. True, some of the colors are not my cup of tea. I always repaint before I move in, so not really an issue for me unless there is wallpaper somewhere. I hate wallpaper. My guess why so little apparent interest is the Coronavirus.

There are two houses just renovated down the street from me been on the market literally since the Coronavirus started. So 3 months? This is a super hot area, and usually sold in 2 weeks at most. Not sure they are even having open houses, because people still living there-- and there are (Covid) rules about that. Come to think of it, driving around I cannot recall seeing any "Sold" signs anywhere in the city. Probably some, I just have not seen them.

Is everything in home sales and open houses completely back to normal in MO, otherwise?

Last edited by oldcarguy49; 07-03-2020 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 04:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynote View Post

We decided on this price based on similar listings in the neighborhood and average price per square foot. We didn’t have many showing. only 4 :-(
I was combining showings with the open house viewers.

Ask your agent about comparable SOLD prices, not what the other houses are listed at. The recent sold prices should determine your market value because it shows what buyers are willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate