Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 01:41 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
657 Elmwood in Webster Grove. Another poster mentioned this house.

Take some time looking at the photos to get ideas for your porch ...
The interior though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 01:50 PM

327 posts, read 460,743 times
I agree, I've spent some time in St Louis, it's not really what nationally would be considered a "hot" market.

It's generally considered one of the more affordable metro regions in the US, which is why I'm a bit concerned that your pricing may be ambitious. What makes your house more appealing than those at half the price that are small and new (entry level starter homes) out in the sticks? Are the schools really much better? Is the commute to downtown and other business districts much better?

Certain neighborhoods are more appealing than others, of course, and Webster Groves may well be one of the most popular areas.

Lots of the posters have great ideas. I'd agree with the painting in neutral colors and new photos, and I'd also suggest a railing for the stairs to the basement and neutral vinyl fencing for the backyard. Backyards on small/narrow lots look oppressively narrow and unusable without fencing to define them.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:01 PM

440 posts, read 242,338 times
I notice the Zillow "zestimate" is exactly what you are asking. I have found the zestimates to often be very good indicators of what a house sells for. Generally when people go over zestimate they wait and wait and then the house finally sells for much closer to the zestimate.

Occasionally you will see a house somewhere for much more than zestimate, and then when you start looking into details it becomes apparent why the zestimate was low. Then there are the ones well above zestimate that there is just no explanation for, and they generally do not sell.

Sit tight, people are skittish about Covid.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:17 PM

139 posts, read 216,839 times
I don't see a litterbox either but picture 6 shows a cat sleeping on the table in front of the window.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:30 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,108,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
I notice the Zillow "zestimate" is exactly what you are asking. I have found the zestimates to often be very good indicators of what a house sells for. Generally when people go over zestimate they wait and wait and then the house finally sells for much closer to the zestimate.

Occasionally you will see a house somewhere for much more than zestimate, and then when you start looking into details it becomes apparent why the zestimate was low. Then there are the ones well above zestimate that there is just no explanation for, and they generally do not sell.

Sit tight, people are skittish about Covid.
We sold our home last week.

The instant we listed, the Zestimate matched our asking price. The day we sold, the Zestimate matched our sold price. Both of those numbers were higher than the Zestimate we had prior to listing.

I don't have a lot of faith in Zestimates.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:16 PM

440 posts, read 242,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
We sold our home last week.

The instant we listed, the Zestimate matched our asking price. The day we sold, the Zestimate matched our sold price. Both of those numbers were higher than the Zestimate we had prior to listing.

I don't have a lot of faith in Zestimates.
Interesting. I have not noticed that. Places where I have been looking are usually above or below zestimate on the asking price. I will pay more attention and see if I notice that. On your house, maybe it was because you lived in the house a long time, and zillow was not really keeping up? I have noticed that houses not for sale often have what seems like a low zestimate.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:40 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,108,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
Interesting. I have not noticed that. Places where I have been looking are usually above or below zestimate on the asking price. I will pay more attention and see if I notice that. On your house, maybe it was because you lived in the house a long time, and zillow was not really keeping up? I have noticed that houses not for sale often have what seems like a low zestimate.
Yeah, IDK. We were there about 3 years...but we did make several significant improvements as well.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:20 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,080,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynote View Post
Hi,

I currently have my house in Webster Groves MO listed. Webster Groves is a very hot market with little inventory and a lot of potential buyers. Houses usually move very quick here. We had a decent open house with about 15 couples dropping by. This might have been because a very popular house a few house over had an open house the same day. Since then I only had 4 showings with no feedback and the views/saves online are dropping rapidly. It’s been only 10 days on the market but should I be worried, am I overpriced, anything else wrong? I would love to get some feedback

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...8d&view=public

Thanks,

Tony

no offense but the photos are terrible. the realtor took them with a cellphone

Old 07-06-2020, 11:44 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,153,815 times
I agree that you need new photos.

I think your house looks nice but a bit bare. When buyers walk in they see an empty room with nothing to catch their eye. There's nothing colorful, and the couch pushed against the wall does not define your space. Maybe put a colorful rug and move the couch up? Also, repaint the red and black walls. Those are a total turnoff. And I agree with getting new bedding. Having a comforter stretched across like that looks low-rent. Remove the two pictures you have in your dining room (two men's faces) as they are creepy. Buy some cheap artwork to replace. Declutter and put things away (like some printer you have on the cart in the dining room looks bad).

For those saying that buyers aren't that picky you haven't dealt with today's younger buyers. HGTV has trained people to have no ability to see beyond decor.We sold our house four years ago. I repainted and staged everything except I did not remove a drape that was on the front window. Removing it would have meant me repainting all of the hardware holes, and finding matching paint was going to be a challenge. I figured buyers could overlook that.

But I was wrong. Our house was on the market for two weeks with no offers and the feedback was "nice house but dated". That morning I ripped the drape and hardware down, managed to find matching paint for touchups, and that night we had two offers over full price. I believe that silly drape made all the difference.

Last edited by Coloradomom22; 07-06-2020 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-06-2020, 11:56 AM

17,030 posts, read 12,649,584 times
Take it with a grain of salt or not. Just from a regular person with a family. If I were looking in the area and I am assuming your price is neither high nor low.
Cute enough curb appeal.
Detached garage is a bit of a downer.
Cheapo appliances. No the stainless did not fool me.
Kitchen is functional and smallish. Not overwhelmingly small but my wife has an industrial scale collection of kitchen stuff.
Im assuming part of the 1947 sq ft is basement and will be that way in many peoples minds.
I really like the downstairs/ main floor (living room with piano and hardwood)
The whole clawfoot tub and curtain thing is chic but impractical for a family.
The other bathroom with black tile looks like it was crammed into an existing spot.
You are in bible country. Lose the booze. Yes a tiny thing, but a thing.
Nice deck
Nice yard.
Looks like you may be on a semi busy street.
Is that a giant shared driveway? Looks like you live next to a 3 generations in 1 house family or a duplex / triplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate