Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 03:20 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,029,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I just bought a new fridge from Lowes. It was in stock and could have taken it with me, but I have no hope of getting into the house and removing the old one on my own. 2 weeks to deliver. Not sure what the heck is going on, but I think we just don't have enough people wanting (or maybe more accurately, incentivized) to work right now.
Not necessarily a contractor's issue, but my sister in NEPA waited 3-1/2 mos to have her new washer delivered. They 2-wks-for-delivery'd her every 2-wks when she called for an update. In fact, I kept telling her to cancel the order & get her money refunded, as I was thinking this small furniture store might go out of biz & she'd never see her appliance.

The furniture co said they let their drivers go due to Covid & they had to wait for a local mover to contact them when he was available, as he was slammed with requests. The store was a couple of miles away, but she also had to pay $100 for delivery... the store usually offers delivery & hookup for free, but they conveniently pass on current costs to customers.

As an FYI, for those looking for work with a strong back & 1-2 friends, local deliveries might bring in decent money for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 05:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,453,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
I'm at the stage of the home buying process where I need to find a reliable contractor and it just might be the hardest part. I do not understand why it is this hard to find a contractor who is reliable, honest, and hardworking. I can't think of a more unprofessional group of people who actually hold a license. I just don't get it. It's wintertime, it's not like it's even the busy season. Any tips on locating a good one beyond asking family and friends?
This is not limited to your area. At least in my area they disappear and no-call/no-show before they get a chance to ask for any money. Like, was I just a double booking out the gate, or did you get a last minute call for a bigger job?

Old 03-02-2021, 06:57 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,029,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This is not limited to your area. At least in my area they disappear and no-call/no-show before they get a chance to ask for any money. Like, was I just a double booking out the gate, or did you get a last minute call for a bigger job?
That was so common in Boston when the condo craze began (2008 onward, when developers were buying/flipping multi-tenant apt bldgs like mad) that, no kidding, I had to schedule appts with 13 plumbers & 8 electricians, before someone finally showed up. Made me wait 1-wk or more in-between each appt... everyday they'd push the appt to next day, next day. Wanted to tell them all off, but... you need their services, so you have to twiddle your thumbs & wait.

Contractors showed up quickly for estimates, but $30K jobs that they considered small were put off over & over (no shows) to the point that I got how-to & design & inspection books & did all the work myself... save for electrical & plumbing. Cost me $6K total. Of course it took 10-times as long, but the way appts were going, I don't think they'd have finished any sooner.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:08 AM

870 posts, read 2,114,585 times
It does seem, in this COVID environment, that supplies are limited and the demand greatly elevated. So, if you have a smaller job, you basically will need to wait until things slow down, however long that takes, or try to do it yourself. Perhaps you can create a small co-op of friends who will take turns working together at smaller projects at each other's houses.

If you have a large job and know of a reputable contractor, just get on the wait list. There's really nothing else you can do.

Finally, if you can, focus on smaller projects such as decluttering, painting, and yard work. Those are all things that can be done now that will improve the look and enjoyment of your home.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:21 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,222,797 times
There was a cute CitiBank commercial called, “Wouldn’t it be great if everyone said what they meant?“ A contractor told his clients he would be disappearing for 6 months, and leaving their house in shambles.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:43 PM

119 posts, read 233,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not sure why you don't want to ask family and friends.

I never said I didn't want to ask family and friends. I already tried that.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
COVID = busy season for all good contractors. Most are overloaded with work. I'm in the queue for dormer/window work, but I won't expect anything until late spring/ early summer. At least he told me to expect it to take a long time.

Interesting, I did not think that would be the case. OK.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
^^This.^^

We have a nationwide contractor shortage that isn't getting any better. 80% of construction companies can't find the workers they need.

1) They are aging out.
2) Millenials and Gen Z aren't interested in those jobs
3) Many, many contractors left for other jobs during the recession.
4) Immigrants can be hired, but we have issues with the number of work visas allowed and then language issues.

All of this means, you need to get into a contractor's queue, wait a long time, and then pay them a high sum. Going into the trades is great money right now. Hard work, but good money.

I disagree, with point #2. It's not that they're not interested. Diana Holbrook is right, they've all been discouraged from the trades and instead encouraged to go to college and get a degree. It would be difficult for Millennials to return to school to learn a trade now when they're drowning in student debt. Something needs to change to get the younger generation into the field.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Question: Have you talked to a contractor and had them bid on the job

If you are calling trying to find a contractor and no one is interested in doing your job, you are not offering them something they want to take on, or you are trying to find a cheap contractor and there is no such thing today.

Today, good contractors want professional wages, just as a Computer engineer wants professional wages.
I don't know if the job is too small or too large because I cannot get a return call or text to let me know. And, yes, I have them come out to the property to bid on the job. I think it's unprofessional not to let me know what the issue is. I cannot address an issue if I don't know what it is.

No, we haven't discussed wages. Some are willing to come out and look but when I ask where the bid/estimate is at I don't hear back. Again, I don't get it.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I'm unfamiliar with NextDoor, so thank you for that info.

Houzz.com is another resource, which is free to join. The benefit is you can see pics of the work the company has done, some have vids, as well & read reviews.

Good luck with your new home.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've heard of some people actually having luck getting hardwood floor installers and painters off of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Anyone have good experiences there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate