Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 11:39 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,751,529 times

Advertisements

To be fair to #1, the 22 y/o college student with zero experience as a tenant, he'd be better off in an apartment.

A SFR is a sort of "advanced" from of housing/renting. The screening is much less strict in a large complex and the tenant duites/responsibilities are much less. Utilities alone are night and day with most apts including water/garbage.

SFR's to rent are for experienced tenants, not so much for newbies on their maiden voyage into adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 12:55 PM

868 posts, read 447,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In home visit? First off we're in a pandemic. Secondly, as a renter I would NEVER allow a potential landlord to come visit my apartment and inspect me. I'd find another apartment. Plenty of them out there.
That would automatically disqualify you from renting from me. Every quality tenant I’ve ever had is more than open to an in home visit. In fact they appreciate that I am very selective. I have been doing the landlord thing since 1986 and have been through dozens of tenants with very little issues. When you maintain and care about your properties the way I do it pays to be very selective, otherwise you set yourself up to having your heart broken.

I remember my insurance company once forced me to let them do inspections on six of my houses. After we entered the fourth one the inspector said, “I can’t believe these are all rentals.” I said, “Yeah, I know scary isn’t it? I’ve gotten good at picking them, makes me want to leave them the houses in my will.” Why did he say that? Every house was spotless and looked like it had been staged to sell. Are all of my several dozen properties like that? At least 75% of them are, the other 25% keep theirs as good as I keep mine, so they qualified.

And it’s not an inspection but it does need to pass the smell test. If the doors are shredded by your dog, it stinks of litter box odor, your kid drew all over the walls, etc....that’s how you’ll treat my place and as such you wouldn’t qualify to rent from me. If you are a clutter bug but don’t live in filth, no problem.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:45 PM

30,750 posts, read 18,432,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In home visit? First off we're in a pandemic. Secondly, as a renter I would NEVER allow a potential landlord to come visit my apartment and inspect me. I'd find another apartment. Plenty of them out there.
I agree. I think that such a tactic is rude and assuming. But that's me

Old 03-10-2021, 05:02 PM

8,193 posts, read 8,423,480 times
Concern about her job is that she works in a law firm. I have never had any trouble with the one tenant I have who is actually a plaintiff’s attorney but I have known other Landlords who have had a lot of issues leasing to attorneys.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:52 AM

30,750 posts, read 18,432,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Concern about her job is that she works in a law firm. I have never had any trouble with the one tenant I have who is actually a plaintiff’s attorney but I have known other Landlords who have had a lot of issues leasing to attorneys.
I see. You know, I won't knock you for that concern as many legal types (and I'm an attorney myself) can be very litigiously-minded, more so than others in my admittedly anecdotal experience. In my experience, though, if your place is on point and your lease legally sound, they aren't a problem. It's when your place starts to have habitability issues, etc., that they can become a pain in the butt. Of course, this may be overly simplistic, but this is just my experience.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:22 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,694,286 times
So, pretty sure if you're looking at sexuality, gender, age, you're being discriminatory. Look at income, rental history and credit. That's it.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So, pretty sure if you're looking at sexuality, gender, age, you're being discriminatory. Look at income, rental history and credit. That's it.
I’m just providing that information for this game. I have had every color of the human rainbow and every combination of human relationships as tenants in my 30 years as a Landlord. But each time I do evaluate applicants based on my assessment of best ability to pay, to take care of the house, and to become long term residents.

By the way, what I didn’t provide.....

#1 is a white male
#2 is a Black female
#3 is a Hispanic couple

The departing tenants are buying a new house and exiting their lease a month early. We agreed if I found new tenants, I would release them from their lease commitment and they have been doing the showings on the house. They are an African American couple and hav been withholding their impressions on all they have shown the house to; no favorites! I haven’t met #1. #2 or #3 but of course will before we execute a lease agreement.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 03-11-2021 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-11-2021, 08:54 AM

UPDATE: We are processing the application for party #3.
Because... Highest credit rating, two income earners, longest term rental history (current apartment for 3 years) and the reason they want to move ASAP is because the pipes burst in their Dallas apartment during the terrible freeze last week and they are staying with family waiting to get back into the apartment. The apartment management knows they are looking for a new place to move to.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:03 AM

868 posts, read 447,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
UPDATE: We are processing the application for party #3.
Because... Highest credit rating, two income earners, longest term rental history (current apartment for 3 years) and the reason they want to move ASAP is because the pipes burst in their Dallas apartment during the terrible freeze last week and they are staying with family waiting to get back into the apartment. The apartment management knows they are looking for a new place to move to.
Smart move, that was the best choice for the reasons stated. My immigrant tenants are among my best tenants. They bend over backwards to do things right and not jeopardize their situation. Also more hardworking than many and they value this country more than many native borns who take it for granted.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:14 AM

797 posts, read 3,588,271 times
I can see your user name and this post do not go together, nor do you manage a bunch of rentals. I have over 25 rentals so am used to going on both "paper info" and "gut instinct" and I can tell you gut instinct is way more important than paper info. That said, all 3 of these applicants would be absolutely fine for any of my houses or apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'd eliminate #1 because of his age. As a 22 year old, he might be extremely responsible - but he and his friends might get very drunk and unintentionally cause significant damage - more than puking on the carpet.

I'd only take #2 if she gave me a year's rent in advance.

I'd eliminate #3 because of the potential for indoor smoking and because I'm not OK with pets. Note that it is reasonable to expect this couple to start pumping out babies, which grow into toddlers and then children who can cause a fair bit of wear-and-tear and damage.

I'd keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate