Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 08:59 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times

Advertisements

Yes, there are plenty of odors that would affect buying. If anyone grew up back east, the smell of paper mills might come to mind. That is one foul stink, some of my cousins worked there, and it’s a mystery how. Definitely no refineries or industrial smells.

Don’t care for pot smells, but my neighbors do and I have to put up with it. When doing barn chores, I smell it a lot, but can’t see them, they’re screened by surrounding trees. Wood smoke is a nice smell, burning trash isn’t. Manure is a smell that is ok, digested hay doesn’t have much of an odor. No feed lots, but farms are fine.

Cooking smells are generally ok, in a densely populated tract, it wouldn’t be, you’d smell them all the time, but in a sparsely populated area, a whiff of someone grilling can make you hungry. If one of my neighbors was making Indian curry and the smell carried, it would be nice. This neighborhood could use that kind of diversity.

If you’re going to buy, maybe drive or camp around the neighborhood and see what’s going on. Lots of smells/sights/sounds you won’t know about until the papers are signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 09:37 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Would extreme odors in a neighborhood prevent you from buying a house that by itself would be a good deal or suit your needs?
Your title asked about a neighborhood near a potential house. But here it sounds like you're asking about a house in that particular neighborhood.

So, it isn't the same question.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:49 AM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
I looked at a house and walked outside and smelled pot. The neighbor was relaxing on his terrace with a joint. The houses were close enough that it was very noticeable.

Turned to the agent and said nope and we left immediately.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:17 AM

781 posts, read 743,426 times
A development in the next town over from me gets landfill smells. This is a neighborhood of McMansions, so no I would not spend a lot of $ to smell garbage.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:08 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Cooking smells, probably not. We do have a neighbor who uses a smoker in his driveway. Sometimes when the wind is just right it blows into our front windows and we have to shut them.

I did find a house online once that I drove by to check out the area. Everything seemed nice and I noticed the house was already empty so I parked with the intention of walking along the sidewalks (corner lot). The moment I got out I smelled sewage. It was pretty bad. I thought maybe someone was having work done.

Went home and looked closer to the map online. Yep, couple blocks away was a waste water treatment plant.

Pass.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:00 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Don't move there if little things bother you and if you are extremely intolerant.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:18 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Transient smells of cooking? No. Pervasive background smells from wastewater treatment, mills, factories, feedlots, big tidal saltmarsh definitely.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:38 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Transient smells of cooking? No. Pervasive background smells from wastewater treatment, mills, factories, feedlots, big tidal saltmarsh definitely.
Yep, I have no issues with the smell of most ethnic foods. However, I've been in areas that smell like manure. Pass.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
My neighbourhood has a mushroom farm next to it. We only smell it occasionally, the wind has to be from the east. It's not awesome but it's wasn't a deal breaker when we bought our house.

Pot is legal here, and our next door neighbour indulges. Which is way less pungent than when the occasional skunk lets one go in the middle of the night near my bedroom window (which happens a few times every summer). Now that smell is truly eye-watering. It usually wakes me up and I have to shut the windows.

We have a cafe behind our house that smells amazing some days.

Being a prairie city, at certain times of the year the winds bring in manure smells from outlying farms.

I live in the city, it smells sometimes, and that's okay. I admit to finding people's issues with smell a bit amusing, some of you sound really really precious.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Yes. Even really strong smelling flowers can be annoying. Jasmine and orange flowers can even be overpowering. I wouldn't want to live next to an orange orchard, for instance. Plugs me up immediately - allergies.

Any smell that drives you nuts to the point where it would drive you inside or make you want to close your windows would make your life miserable and wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion. Not for me, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate