Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 06:53 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times

Advertisements

When we lived in a condo in Queens, NY, the neighbor down the hall used to stink up the whole floor with her kimchi; she opened the door of her condo to let it out for all of us to smell. But that was an apartment type setting. Can't imagine any cooking smells that would be that strong if the homes were detached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 06:57 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I think it's kind of funny the number of people who get their knickers in a twist over other people's cooking smells.

I lived next to the Italian restaurant for a while. I found I was always hungry. For many years there was a big bakery just down the road from where I lived, and every time you went that way you got to smell fresh bread. Nice! When my wife and I go walking on a summery afternoon we try to guess what people are grilling ("Do you think that's steak or chicken?")
And being vegan for three years now those grilling smells, that I used to love, now make me heave. Our homes are close together and it is awful when the smoke from the guy next door's grill comes into my garage. But I realize that it is something I just have to put up with, unless I move to one of those tiny home, vegan communities in Asheville.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:04 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Would extreme odors in a neighborhood prevent you from buying a house that by itself would be a good deal or suit your needs?

Live in an area where many cook some extremely spicey and smelly food. To the point where you can't open a window if you are a house or two away or across the street. Also there are places where potheads go out in their backyards and smoke that poop with regularity again unable to open windows or be outside when they're doing it. Used to be one only had to worry about apartment buildings but many neighborhoods of houses experiencing the same issues.

But along with things like noise, extreme colors would the odors of a neighborhood affect your buying decision
Most definitely. A few years back I had the choice of two identical spec homes; one in a quiet neighborhood and one a block in from a main road that had restaurants all over. That last house had that fast food smell wafting from the restaurants. I chose the first one. The only thing I want to smell when I open my door is flowers, rain or cut grass.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:11 AM

111 posts, read 91,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Would extreme odors in a neighborhood prevent you from buying a house that by itself would be a good deal or suit your needs?

Live in an area where many cook some extremely spicey and smelly food. To the point where you can't open a window if you are a house or two away or across the street. Also there are places where potheads go out in their backyards and smoke that poop with regularity again unable to open windows or be outside when they're doing it. Used to be one only had to worry about apartment buildings but many neighborhoods of houses experiencing the same issues.

But along with things like noise, extreme colors would the odors of a neighborhood affect your buying decision
If it bothers you then don’t live there. For me it would actually be a plus because I love the smell of spicy pungent food smells

Old 04-06-2021, 07:41 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I think it's kind of funny the number of people who get their knickers in a twist over other people's cooking smells.

I lived next to the Italian restaurant for a while. I found I was always hungry. For many years there was a big bakery just down the road from where I lived, and every time you went that way you got to smell fresh bread. Nice! When my wife and I go walking on a summery afternoon we try to guess what people are grilling ("Do you think that's steak or chicken?")

In this thread people have expressed distaste for all sorts of smells and a desire not to live where they would have to smell them. You mock them as having their "knickers in a twist" while comparing their preferences to smells that you apparently enjoyed. You don't see the difference there?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:47 AM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Lived in Wisconsin for a number of years in a beautiful lakeside home. In the spring and fall the surrounding dairy farms would spread manure. While it was a seasonal thing, it didn't bother me, in fact, I sort of liked it.

Cooking smells from an adjacent property (SFH) would be bearable, as I like all sorts of different foods. Living near an industrial concern that produced unpleasant smells would not be acceptable.

Funny story regarding northwestern Indiana for the previous poster that mentioned the area:

I was driving across I-80 late at night with my oldest son in the car, he was 4-5 at the time. He had been sleeping, but woke up when we started to pass through Gary, East Chicago, etc. As he was looking at the post-apocalyptic landscape with the refineries flaring gas and the coke plants with their furnaces going full blast, along with all the accompanying odors, he says, "Dad, is this what Hell is like?"

"No, son. Hell smells better."

RM

Old 04-06-2021, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Absolutely! It has, in fact, years ago when we lived in the Bay Area CA. We looked at a new development in Tracy, beautiful, inexpensive new homes but they were near a big farm and the smell of fertilizer or pesticide (who knows what it was) put us off.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think if there was a feedlot or a pig farm, that would affect my decision. Mushroom farm - yes.

Pot smoker? No.
Just curious but when was the last time you smelled pot? I asked my daughter one day if someone had hit a skunk in the apt parking lot, she told me the smell was the downstairs neighbor indulging his habit. It was really, really strong and horrible, not like anything I've smelled people smoking before.
But you really never know when someone is going to move to the n'hood with their smells, it's probably not something I would worry over unless it was a business causing the odors.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:39 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Just curious but when was the last time you smelled pot? I asked my daughter one day if someone had hit a skunk in the apt parking lot, she told me the smell was the downstairs neighbor indulging his habit. It was really, really strong and horrible, not like anything I've smelled people smoking before.
But you really never know when someone is going to move to the n'hood with their smells, it's probably not something I would worry over unless it was a business causing the odors.
Actually my neighbor grows it outside - quite a garden - so when it’s blooming in the summer it definitely smells like a skunk outside :-) the first summer he did it I thought we had a skunk around until I realized what it was! :-)

But smoking it? You’d have to have a pretty big party before there would be enough smoke for there to be a constant flow of smoke or smell from a house next-door. This is where I make a difference between an occasional whiff of some thing and actually being bothered by it.

I live out in rural acreage so we’re further apart than some neighborhoods of course, but sometimes that means the smells get bigger! :-) still most things are occasional and not constant. A burn pile of sticks from last winter storms or the occasional spreading of manure on hayfields… And that can be very strong! But it dissipates in a few days. :-)

Old 04-06-2021, 08:51 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

I agree - it is a FOUL smell. A car driving by with it inside is easily whiffed on the street. The smell is putrid, to me. I would not tolerate that smell on my property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate