Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 10:41 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Mike, our mantra is, "Everything is negotiable." You want to fluff the price to cover your costs? Be our guest if you can make it work.

RM
So you would pay a commission because you are smart enough to care more about how much you net than how much you spend. Good for you. I find most FSBO's, like yourself, are smart enough to do the same, even if we have to explain it to them sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 12:03 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
So you would pay a commission because you are smart enough to care more about how much you net than how much you spend. Good for you. I find most FSBO's, like yourself, are smart enough to do the same, even if we have to explain it to them sometimes.
True. It's all about the bottom line, it's not an issue of principle. If the buyer can find a way to get me to the net dollars I expect out of the transaction I don't care how they do it. If they want to pay more and front load the costs on their side of the ALTA that's fine with me.

RM

Old 04-10-2021, 07:39 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The the buyer agency and also with you buyer agent. The best thing to do is not go behind your agents back. If you find one and resolve it with the buyer agent you'll have your answer.
Couldn't have put it better. This is exactly it. OP signed a contract stating they would commit to their agent and their agent committed to spending their time/knowledge/money to help them. OP agreed they would pay a commission in exchange for that assistance. If the OP had not gone behind their agent's back this kind of issue is usually pretty easy to resolve. Doing it after the fact can be a bit more sticky.

Quote:
I've done a number of FSBOs over the years and clearly stated in the listing that we would not pay commissions. We never have, and the one time a buyer (with an agent) tried to strong-arm us, we told them to eat it or walk.

They ate it.

I would assume this would be likely in the present market, too. You want it bad enough and already have a contract with an agent? Not my problem.

RM
Quote:
Mike, our mantra is, "Everything is negotiable." You want to fluff the price to cover your costs? Be our guest if you can make it work.

RM
Quote:
True. It's all about the bottom line, it's not an issue of principle. If the buyer can find a way to get me to the net dollars I expect out of the transaction I don't care how they do it. If they want to pay more and front load the costs on their side of the ALTA that's fine with me.

RM
These comments from Morton are a perfect example of why you should contact your agent if you find a FSBO you'd like to buy. If you committed to pay your buyer's agent, it can usually be worked out with the FSBO seller for them to pay the commission even if at first they say "no way am I paying a commission!" Plus, it's a lot easier to do it up front and you get the benefit of the agent that you're paying for either way.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:36 PM

95 posts, read 162,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Couldn't have put it better. This is exactly it. OP signed a contract stating they would commit to their agent and their agent committed to spending their time/knowledge/money to help them. OP agreed they would pay a commission in exchange for that assistance. If the OP had not gone behind their agent's back this kind of issue is usually pretty easy to resolve. Doing it after the fact can be a bit.
As the OP, let me be clear on one point: This was strictly a hypothetical scenario (hence the use of the word “would”). I have not gone behind the agent’s back. I don’t have even have an agent and certainly no contract. I was just trying to understand my options and obligations as I intend to be quite active in exploring properties that are not in the traditional market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate