Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 10:40 AM

95 posts, read 162,214 times

Advertisements

What is my commission responsibility under the following scenario:

I have a contracted buyer's agent, but I find a FSBO on my own and negotiate a sale without the help of the agent. Let's say the FSBO does not want to deal with real estate agents or pay any commission to them. I recognize the actual contract will dictate, but how is this typically handled in a buyer's agent contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 10:41 AM

347 posts, read 427,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post

I have a contracted buyer's agent, but I find a FSBO on my own and negotiate a sale without the help of the agent. Let's say the FSBO does not want to deal with real estate agents or pay any commission to them. I recognize the actual contract will dictate, but how is this typically handled in a buyer's agent contract?
You will need to check the language of your contract, but at least everyone I’ve signed indicates that in that type of situation you would be responsible for paying your agent their commission.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:19 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
The the buyer agency and also with you buyer agent. The best thing to do is not go behind your agents back. If you find one and resolve it with the buyer agent you'll have your answer.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:31 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
You will need to check the language of your contract, but at least everyone I’ve signed indicates that in that type of situation you would be responsible for paying your agent their commission.
This.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:11 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post

Then you already know the answer. Either you get the agent to release you from the contract, pay whatever is required from the contract, or work out a compromise. Don't sign a contract that binds you to such a situation.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:14 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The the buyer agency and also with you buyer agent. The best thing to do is not go behind your agents back. If you find one and resolve it with the buyer agent you'll have your answer.
Resolve it with the agent as many of them will find a way to make you pay. It is in their nature. They feel they own you once you sign with them.

If you cannot resolve it, I can give you the number of "A Guy" in NYC. He will resolve it in your favor.........LOL

Old 04-10-2021, 08:35 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Resolve it with the agent as many of them will find a way to make you pay. It is in their nature. They feel they own you once you sign with them.

If you cannot resolve it, I can give you the number of "A Guy" in NYC. He will resolve it in your favor.........LOL
Perhaps a more accurate statement is once the agent makes a commitment and starts investing their time and knowledge to help a client, the agent simply expects a commitment back from the buyer to honor any contractrual obligations? Hence, don't try to go behind the agents back. Many "tough guy" FSBO's will tell a buyer they won't pay a commission but once an offer is on the table change their tune anyway.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:05 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Perhaps a more accurate statement is once the agent makes a commitment and starts investing their time and knowledge to help a client, the agent simply expects a commitment back from the buyer to honor any contractrual obligations? Hence, don't try to go behind the agents back. Many "tough guy" FSBO's will tell a buyer they won't pay a commission but once an offer is on the table change their tune anyway.
I've done a number of FSBOs over the years and clearly stated in the listing that we would not pay commissions. We never have, and the one time a buyer (with an agent) tried to strong-arm us, we told them to eat it or walk.

They ate it.

I would assume this would be likely in the present market, too. You want it bad enough and already have a contract with an agent? Not my problem.

RM

Old 04-10-2021, 09:28 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I've done a number of FSBOs over the years and clearly stated in the listing that we would not pay commissions. We never have, and the one time a buyer (with an agent) tried to strong-arm us, we told them to eat it or walk.

They ate it.

I would assume this would be likely in the present market, too. You want it bad enough and already have a contract with an agent? Not my problem.

RM
If you went to contract at $500,000, and your buyer said, "Hey, can we increase it to $510,000 so I can finance 80% of the commission I am paying to my agent, if I guarantee to pay the 510 price regardless of appraisal opinion?" would you play along with that?

Old 04-10-2021, 10:14 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you went to contract at $500,000, and your buyer said, "Hey, can we increase it to $510,000 so I can finance 80% of the commission I am paying to my agent, if I guarantee to pay the 510 price regardless of appraisal opinion?" would you play along with that?
Mike, our mantra is, "Everything is negotiable." You want to fluff the price to cover your costs? Be our guest if you can make it work.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate