Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 11:00 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
All of this reminds me of why, many many years ago, I adopted the mindset that I trust no one in any business transaction that is not legally representing MY interests. Cheat me once, no one has ever done it since because I trust no one from the “other side”. People think I’m difficult, hard nosed, and a few other names I cannot mention here, but they will not cheat me. I have walked away from transactions several times when it was apparent I was being set up, lied to, and taken advantage of and won’t hesitate to do it again.
Exactly. I trust no one except myself.............and sometimes i have doubts about him.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 11:42 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
At this point, the OP needs to speak with a Real Estate attorney and not their agent. A seller's agent is not qualified to offer advice in this situation. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.
I was referring to their buyer's agent. Contacting them is a way to get started that doesn't cost any more money. An attorney is going to cost more than the repairs they are seeking, so there's no point in doing that. They could go to the seller's agent's broker or possibly submit a complaint to the board or Realtors. Those things will sometimes light a fire under someone's behind to get something done.

But as I said in my first response, they may just be out of luck because I bet there is a clause somewhere in the 150 pages of documents they signed that says they accept the house as it is.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:48 AM

903 posts, read 583,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
This is why it is so important to do a walk-through before closing AND NOT SIGN CLOSING PAPERS UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED.

I know it is no help now to say the above, but wanted to warn others that this last thing is their only recourse. As to suits, anyone can sue anyone for anything so you can certainly sue your agent, the Seller, or anyone else if you think you can prove your case in court.

I am sorry this has happened to you. It seems people will only do what they think is needed to get their money, and apparently there are plenty of unethical people around in the real estate world, both buying and selling.

We had something similar with a brand new house. We were promised something. It wasn't done, they promised it would get done so we closed. Years later and in an Arbitration hearing we were awarded 1/2 of the cost to fix the problem.

If you aren't satisfied, never close.

cd :O)

Old 04-13-2021, 12:05 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You should just let this one go.

You'll spend thousands of dollars and may end up with nothing here.

From what you wrote, neither the sellers agent or buyers agents are at fault.

The seller SHOULD have fixed those items but didn't and you already closed.
But the buyer's agent told him the repairs were done. That said, I personally would not take anyone's word on something like a closing for home - I would need to see things for myself. Or, as someone suggested, have the inspector return to determine if repairs were made.
$2-3K may be the cost of learning the lesson not to sign off on anything until you are 100% satisfied.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:58 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
All of this is why I (the seller) would not agree to make any changes or repairs. If he likes, the buyer may back out after inspection, but no changes will be made and no price adjustment will be made.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Yea, this is why I never agree to any repairs at all, only if it is a matter of the appraiser for loan approval, maybe, but that is it.

I honestly will never understand this concept of "can the seller fix this or that" when it has nothing to do with getting the home approved for the loan for purchase. Buy the house and fix it yourself, damn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate