Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 11:40 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times

Advertisements

My house is about 18 years old and probably due for a new roof, we have 2-3 shingles now missing.

I've had 2 different companies knock on my door and say they can have the roof replaced under insurance because of a large storm that came through within the past 2 years or something.

My worry is they'll start doing the work and insurance will back out, or it will go through insurance but then I'll be black listed or something stupid.

I also have a rental property, so I don't want my insurance to go up across the board and it end up costing me more money on the back end in a couple years anyway... anyone have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 11:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
You need to check with your insurance co.
After hurricane Harvey,many of us need new roof,so check your deductible and call your insurer.
We have to show proof the roof was damaged by the storm,not regular wear and tear

Old 04-14-2021, 11:42 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
If the roofers can provide sufficient evidence to your insurance that the damage was storm-related, it should be covered, and we did not notice a rate increase after we replaced ours.

Also, this question has been asked multiple times... try to search tool to bring up more recent threads.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:32 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Call your insurance company and get an adjuster involved. They'll make the call, not the roofing company.

I had a roof replaced on a house a few years ago, as it was nearly 20 years old and needed it. The first contractor said nothing, just gave me a quote. The second contractor spent 45 minutes going over the roof and documented numerous spots where damage had occurred. It just so happened the insurance company adjustor was there at the same time. The contractor gave the adjuster all of his documentation.

Two days later I got a letter from the insurance company saying they were paying to replace my roof. That contractor got the work.

RM

Old 04-14-2021, 03:04 PM

347 posts, read 426,850 times
I’ve had a roof replaced a couple times due to hail storms. An insurance adjuster has always done an inspection to determine if the replacement is warranted. And, at least where I live you have a limited amount of time to make a claim after a storm. So I would talk to your insurance company.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:21 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Insurance replacement of an 18 year old roof from a storm you're not sure might have happened but the roofing company can help you? It sure doesn't sound like an insurance matter to me and as an insurance payer, I don't like the sound of it.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:54 PM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Insurance replacement of an 18 year old roof from a storm you're not sure might have happened but the roofing company can help you? It sure doesn't sound like an insurance matter to me and as an insurance payer, I don't like the sound of it.
It's pretty much a racket, and has been going on for at least 5 years (as far as I know) and maybe longer. I really don't understand why the insurance companies haven't put a stop to "full replacement coverage" on things like roofs.

If you total your 18 year old car, you don't get it replaced with a brand new car, so why should a damaged 18 year old roof be replaced by a brand new roof? It doesn't make sense to me, and, of course, we all pay for it through higher premiums on our homeowner's insurance policies.

The roofing companies know how the game is played, and it's to their benefit to get a new roof paid for by the insurance companies.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
It depends on our insurance policy,replacement cost means giving you a new one,personal property is depreciated.
car is personal property

Old 04-14-2021, 04:29 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's pretty much a racket, and has been going on for at least 5 years (as far as I know) and maybe longer. I really don't understand why the insurance companies haven't put a stop to "full replacement coverage" on things like roofs.

If you total your 18 year old car, you don't get it replaced with a brand new car, so why should a damaged 18 year old roof be replaced by a brand new roof? It doesn't make sense to me, and, of course, we all pay for it through higher premiums on our homeowner's insurance policies.

The roofing companies know how the game is played, and it's to their benefit to get a new roof paid for by the insurance companies.

Yeah - that's a good analogy.... You should get a depreciated value, not full replacement.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Well, I dislike the set year lifespan on depreciation value as well. Insurance company can tag a roof life at ten, twenty, who knows how many years, which has nothing to do with what condition your own roof is in.

Mine is at 20 years, pretty much perfect condition, I would be pretty irked if a hurricane came through, tore it up, but insurance did not pay out because they say it was at the end of its life anyway, despite it being just fine condition with zero issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate