Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 04:09 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
My house is about 18 years old and probably due for a new roof, we have 2-3 shingles now missing.

I've had 2 different companies knock on my door and say they can have the roof replaced under insurance because of a large storm that came through within the past 2 years or something.

My worry is they'll start doing the work and insurance will back out, or it will go through insurance but then I'll be black listed or something stupid.

I also have a rental property, so I don't want my insurance to go up across the board and it end up costing me more money on the back end in a couple years anyway... anyone have any experience with this?
Just pay out of pocket for the roof. No need to have your insurance clip you.

What's a roof in your area? $7500? (No clue what country ur in.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 04:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
after Hurricane Harvey ,many of us need a new roof and we get different roof companies knocking on our door,some will go up to the roof and show damages they took with their phones,it turned out they are not from our roofs.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
many of us got new roof,these roof companies manage to get the job done without us paying an extra dime,they find out how much the insurer paid us and they just either hire subcontractors ,who hire workers who appear to be illegal immigrants,work all day and probably get $50-$75.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:32 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I had my homeowners insurance replace my roof and siding.

I highly recommend it. You will save a lot of money.
The way you wrote that makes it sound like you just called them up and "had them" replace your roof and siding.

Obviously there must have been more to it than that, since normal wear and tear is NOT something that insurance companies will pay for.

I wish posters would specify the company that so generously paid out on these claims and what, exactly, the actual damage was (and from what). I paid $15,000 for a new roof on a 1,520-square-foot ranch house back in 2012 ... a month after I turned that house into a rental. Yep, $15,000 right out of my pocket for a house that I would never live in again.

I think agents in New England must not be as gullible as those elsewhere. Then again, those of us who don't live on the coast rarely have storms that cause enough damage for an entire roof to be replaced. If only ...

Old 04-15-2021, 09:25 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,553,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I think agents in New England must not be as gullible as those elsewhere. Then again, those of us who don't live on the coast rarely have storms that cause enough damage for an entire roof to be replaced. If only ...
I’m in the midwest, and in 12 years I had two roofs replaced due to hail and another that was borderline.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:32 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
The way you wrote that makes it sound like you just called them up and "had them" replace your roof and siding.

Obviously there must have been more to it than that, since normal wear and tear is NOT something that insurance companies will pay for.

I wish posters would specify the company that so generously paid out on these claims and what, exactly, the actual damage was (and from what). I paid $15,000 for a new roof on a 1,520-square-foot ranch house back in 2012 ... a month after I turned that house into a rental. Yep, $15,000 right out of my pocket for a house that I would never live in again.

My homeowners insurance is Travelers. And yes, I literally called them a few months after a hail storm. They had an associate come out and determine that it caused enough damage that my insurance would cover the entire cost of replacing my roof and siding minus the deductible.

Actually, they included replacing gutters and downspouts too. The house is a 2200 square foot split colonial. I know many others in the area that did the same with their insurance.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:35 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My homeowners insurance is Travelers. And yes, I literally called them a few months after a hail storm. They had an associate come out and determine that it caused enough damage that my insurance would cover the entire cost of replacing my roof and siding minus the deductible.

Actually, they included replacing gutters and downspouts too. The house is a 2200 square foot split colonial. I know many others in the area that did the same with their insurance.
Thanks -- those were the kinds of details that we need in order to understand the circumstances under which an insurance company will pay (because frankly, where I live, they just don't -- that may be because we don't tend to get many storms that cause lots of damage).

I AM surprised that you called them "a few months" after the storm and they still paid? Why wouldn't they require being told about damage very soon after a storm?

Old 04-16-2021, 11:46 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,271,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Short answer is the insurance company and the insurance company ALONE decides whether they will pay for a new roof - or pay to replace missing shingles* - regardless of what 1 or 2 or 15 roofers tell you.

<snip>

I don't work with contractors who knock on doors for business. I research and contact them.
I agree with both these points. Some policies have replacement cost coverage regardless of the age of the roof. In some areas such as TX, where windstorms are a major risk, they sell coverage that gives you only the non-depreciated value of the roof if it needs replacing so if you have a 15-year old roof you'll need a lot out of pocket unless you get the type of operator mojo101 mentioned- hiring desperate people at below-market wages and probably off the books.

Hiring someone who knocks on doors to solicit your business rarely ends well.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:52 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Thanks -- those were the kinds of details that we need in order to understand the circumstances under which an insurance company will pay (because frankly, where I live, they just don't -- that may be because we don't tend to get many storms that cause lots of damage).

I AM surprised that you called them "a few months" after the storm and they still paid? Why wouldn't they require being told about damage very soon after a storm?
They seemed to have a grace period and I guess I was able to contact them in time.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:20 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
I have travelers too...we had the water pipe break under ground under our porch where it enters the house ....the water found it’s way in and the basement was flooded ....

The adjuster said he can pay us for the basement but the pipe replacement isn’t covered ...

While he was there he said he noticed we had some storm damage and some shingles missing ...I didn’t even know , and he gave us some money towards it too...I couldn’t even tell you which storm and when
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate