Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:09 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,656 times

Advertisements

I've been working with an agent in the past few weeks. I like the guy. A lot. We've spent several hours in the car, chatting, generally feeling comfortable with one another. He's a nice guy. But he seems a little meek when it comes to negotiating (just some of the things he's said about other negotiations he's been in). I wonder if he's got the personality to aggressively go after a good deal for us.

So, I ask you more experienced buyers: what's the ideal personality in your buyer's agent? I want someone who's going to get me the best deal but I'm not sure what personality will do that. I'm a nice guy and I feel like I generally get along well. But maybe I need to have an agent who isn't such a nice guy/gal and doesn't worry about bruised feelings? On the other hand, I don't want to reward churlish behavior...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,428 times
Our buyers agent was HORRIBLE!!!(tee hee). TOO QUIET!!(tee hee again)

Seriously...our buyers agent was the perfect mix of : " friendly" combined with "knowing her stuff". If you have to play hard-ball, she's the one to do it....but with a smile. Years of expereince in the trenches but a people person also. No "bs" either....flat out honesty. She'd never make it as a car-salesperson..LOL.

If you want her name private email me..I'd be happy to recommend.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
I've been working with an agent in the past few weeks. I like the guy. A lot. We've spent several hours in the car, chatting, generally feeling comfortable with one another. He's a nice guy. But he seems a little meek when it comes to negotiating (just some of the things he's said about other negotiations he's been in). I wonder if he's got the personality to aggressively go after a good deal for us.

So, I ask you more experienced buyers: what's the ideal personality in your buyer's agent? I want someone who's going to get me the best deal but I'm not sure what personality will do that. I'm a nice guy and I feel like I generally get along well. But maybe I need to have an agent who isn't such a nice guy/gal and doesn't worry about bruised feelings? On the other hand, I don't want to reward churlish behavior...

Thoughts?
If you have a contract with this guy then express your concerns to him! He can't read your mind.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What does this button do? View Post
If you have a contract with this guy then express your concerns to him! He can't read your mind.
I don't have a contract with him (I offered to sign one early on, but he declined saying that it's done at the final stages). But I will let him know.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
I think some of it may depend on what "good deal" you are wanting him to aggresively pursue. In an earlier thread you mentioned making an offer that was $75k below the asking price on a $350k home. What if that home is priced correctly for the market, what did your agent tell you?

Some agents will refuse to make crazy offers like that(if the offer is out of line), b/c it will show their inexperience. Also, many times it will get you a non-response. Think about it this way, if you had your home listed competitively to what other homes in your neighborhood were selling for, and your listing agent was presented an offer that was way, way under your asking price, how would that make you feel?

Bottom line is, when you find the right property, your agent should pull comps to find out what you should offer. He should know when the home was purchased, what it was purchased for, and what, if any upgrades or additions were made. Then you formulate a realistic offer, not one that has been pulled from thin air.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Oh, I haven't made any offers on anything yet. We haven't even pulled comps on anything. So far, we're in the "just looking" stage. That 75k number was definitely pulled from thin air (on an inventory home) but I didn't even discuss numbers with the agent. Just posted about it here.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
Quote:
Oh, I haven't made any offers on anything yet. We haven't even pulled comps on anything. So far, we're in the "just looking" stage. That 75k number was definitely pulled from thin air (on an inventory home) but I didn't even discuss numbers with the agent. Just posted about it here.
In that case, I'd give your agent a chance first, to see what he is really made of. It sounds like to this point you get along very well, and he has been upfront and honest(though I'm surprised he didn't have you sign an agency agreement, don't tell his BIC ). Zero in on some properties, and see what he comes up with. Also, be sure to let us know what happens.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Is this the agent that you chose because he gives you a rebate???

Vicki

Old 05-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
In that case, I'd give your agent a chance first, to see what he is really made of. It sounds like to this point you get along very well, and he has been upfront and honest(though I'm surprised he didn't have you sign an agency agreement, don't tell his BIC ). Zero in on some properties, and see what he comes up with. Also, be sure to let us know what happens.
Good advice. My problem is that if he tells me that the price is fair, what do I do then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Is this the agent that you chose because he gives you a rebate???

Vicki
Not *because* of the rebate, but because the company seems down to earth (and they've been sponsoring our local NPR station forever). I didn't know about the rebate until after I contacted them.

About the contract: this is what he said (after *I* suggested we sign a contract):
"we are required to have a written agency agreement in place
at the time that we make an offer on a property. That's typically when we
sit down to do all the paperwork. Until then, I don't see the need to "lock
you in", even though it is a common practice."

See. Nice guy. Back to the original question. What do *you* look for in a buyer's agent?

Old 05-11-2008, 03:22 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Back to the original question. What do *you* look for in a buyer's agent?
I look for someone who will answer their phone or respond to voice mail/e-mail in a timely fashion. I look for someone who shows up when & where they are supposed to. If they drive around lost & can't locate a street, but tell me they have lived there for their entire life I am out of there. I expect them to be able to answer questions in a convincing manner.

Oh, and I look for an agent that does not require a contract just to show me a house. I agree, that comes at the point of making an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate