Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 02:26 PM

24 posts, read 21,665 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! We are about to close on our house here soon.. It is a 2000 Sq ft house. I called our local energy provider to get an estimate of how much our monthly bill would be and was told for both gas and electric, the average over the last 12 months was $300 a month. Does that sound accurate to you?. I know obviously it goes off the previous usage from the previous owners.. but everything I'm seeing online says it should be around $200 a month so $300 seems a bit high.. I know it can vary by state, I'd assume, but if you have a 2000 Sq ft house, how much do you pay for both gas and electric?

I live in upstate, NY (for reference)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 02:41 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,411,654 times
I live in NY state too, and have only a slightly larger house- 2,600 sq. ft. It's much higher than that. In the winter the heating bills plus electric could top $900, and in summer, electric alone would be over $400. Average, including the lower shoulder months, is probably $400ish, maybe a bit more.

It depends very much on who your utility company is. Con Edison, in our area, charges nearly double per KwH compared to what some neighboring states pay, and even neighboring counties.

It also depends on whether you have city sewer and water- my well and septic both use electricity, but if you have public water and public sewer, you wouldn't have that. The age of the home matters too- if yours was built with 2x6 instead of 2x4 it will be more energy efficient.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times
We are in the Seattle area, and in a 3,000 sf house with 3 people. This winter our highest gas/electric bill was $275, and in summer the lowest was $76. It does depend on how many people, how you use it, insulation, and the rates. We tend to have low electric rates (about 10 cents/kWh) but high gas rates. We keep it at 72 in winter, AC on at about 76 in summer, and may not use either in June and September, just other uses like lights, cooking and hot water. We also have triple pane windows which has saved us close to $100/month in the coldest part of winter, and ll lights are now LED.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:03 PM

24 posts, read 21,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I live in NY state too, and have only a slightly larger house- 2,600 sq. ft. It's much higher than that. In the winter the heating bills plus electric could top $900, and in summer, electric alone would be over $400. Average, including the lower shoulder months, is probably $400ish, maybe a bit more.

It depends very much on who your utility company is. Con Edison, in our area, charges nearly double per KwH compared to what some neighboring states pay, and even neighboring counties.

It also depends on whether you have city sewer and water- my well and septic both use electricity, but if you have public water and public sewer, you wouldn't have that. The age of the home matters too- if yours was built with 2x6 instead of 2x4 it will be more energy efficient.
Omg wow!!

Old 05-27-2021, 06:12 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,443,532 times
I just locked in my nat gas price at 42.9 cents per Therm for the next two years.. That would be like paying 39 cents per gallon of LPG or the equivalent of 29.3 Kwh of electricity.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,585,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I just locked in my nat gas price at 42.9 cents per Therm for the next two years.. That would be like paying 39 cents per gallon of LPG or the equivalent of 29.3 Kwh of electricity.
Damn, I pay $1.18+ per therm. I need a better pipeline!

Old 05-27-2021, 07:15 PM

22,695 posts, read 36,884,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znil28 View Post
Hey everybody! We are about to close on our house here soon.. It is a 2000 Sq ft house. I called our local energy provider to get an estimate of how much our monthly bill would be and was told for both gas and electric, the average over the last 12 months was $300 a month. Does that sound accurate to you?. I know obviously it goes off the previous usage from the previous owners.. but everything I'm seeing online says it should be around $200 a month so $300 seems a bit high.. I know it can vary by state, I'd assume, but if you have a 2000 Sq ft house, how much do you pay for both gas and electric?

Gas what? Electric what? Cooking, water heater, dryer, heat, central air v wall units and where in NYS???

$400 in NYS in the summer for electric is excessive for a 2000 square foot house. I have a 2900 square foot house in NC and my highest ever summer electric bill was $300. We have an electric dryer and of course central air and it's above 90 most of the summer.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:03 PM

10,370 posts, read 6,923,101 times
Quote:

Same size house (pretty much.)

A mile from the beach, so I get "A/C" by opening windows. (I do have real A/C tho.) I plan on trying it this Summer. First time w/A/C!

Anyway, my gas/electric bill is currently $86.45.

Gas is $18.49 (10 Therms)

Elect is $67.96 (208kWh)

Old 05-27-2021, 10:36 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,443,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Damn, I pay $1.18+ per therm. I need a better pipeline!
TBH, I haven't had a gas bill in 9 years... but I just started with Black Hills Energy and they have a choice program. Well see what the delivery charge is...

Old 05-28-2021, 05:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,074,957 times
Quote:

They’re only giving your information based on the usage of prior residents. Your bill (usage) might be the same or higher or lower...you won’t know until you move in and and get a bill for a full months usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate