Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 09:37 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times

Advertisements

I did a search and did not find anything about this.

We are needing to replace a dishwasher, and possibly a stove, in a house that we will eventually (possibly within 5 or so years) sell in order to downsize.

We now have a white refrigerator, black dishwasher, and almond stove. lol It's a long story, which I won't bore you all with.

So, I hear white appliances are coming back into fashion. It seems to me that black's popularity is waning, and people who have stainless steel hate the fingerprints (I do know there is a kind that won't show fingerprints, but in looking at appliances in Lowe's and Home Depot, it seems that it is not common yet).

So my question in a nutshell is....what color dishwasher should I buy with an eye toward future resale value? (Keep in mind that I already have a white fridge and may have to replace the stove also in the not-so-distant future.) I saw a pic with colored cabinets and white appliances and kinda liked it, myself. The cabinets in this house would definitely need to be repainted by new owners who wanted to update the kitchen, and I don't see the trend toward colored cabinets going away anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 09:39 AM

862 posts, read 439,209 times
White is always a safe choice.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:42 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I did a search and did not find anything about this.

We are needing to replace a dishwasher, and possibly a stove, in a house that we will eventually (possibly within 5 or so years) sell in order to downsize.

We now have a white refrigerator, black dishwasher, and almond stove. lol It's a long story, which I won't bore you all with.

So, I hear white appliances are coming back into fashion. It seems to me that black's popularity is waning, and people who have stainless steel hate the fingerprints (I do know there is a kind that won't show fingerprints, but in looking at appliances in Lowe's and Home Depot, it seems that it is not common yet).

So my question in a nutshell is....what color dishwasher should I buy with an eye toward future resale value? (Keep in mind that I already have a white fridge and may have to replace the stove also in the not-so-distant future.) I saw a pic with colored cabinets and white appliances and kinda liked it, myself. The cabinets in this house would definitely need to be repainted by new owners who wanted to update the kitchen, and I don't see the trend toward colored cabinets going away anytime soon.

1. uniform color of appliances is preferable.
2. what's "in fashion" today may very well not be in 5 years
3. what color are your cabinets?

Old 07-24-2021, 10:42 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Personally, I prefer the stainless steel appliances. Many appliance stores sell sets at a discount with the same color/style. What I or you prefer can vary greatly. Most buyers will replace certain appliances if they don't like the existing ones when they buy a home from my experience as a prior Realtor who sold homes for almost 5 years.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:04 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
If you're not going to replace the fridge (or hoping not to) replace with white. I don't think it's coming back in style but if you're not going stainless I think clean white up to date appliances are best. I am not sure black was ever in style LOL. People complain a lot about fingerprints on stainless, it's never bothered me, when I had white they got dirty in a different way. If you're anal about that stuff, you just are. If you're not, you're not. If someone chooses not to buy your house simply because of white appliances, they're probably just going to be a pain to deal with anyway.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:16 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
White is an interesting color.
It is the color of the cheapest appliances. For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-in...DMWW/306258315 for $476.
It is the color of expensive appliances. For example: https://www.mieleusa.com/e/30-inch-c...ite-10752070-p for $6300.

For a dishwasher, I would get Bosch with a 3rd rack and crystal dry. 800 Series for list price of $1200.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:30 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
You can't go wrong with white.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:50 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
I hate stainless steel for the PITA it is to keep clean, but it looks so much better to me than anything else that's what we have.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:37 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
White is always a safe choice.
I guess, though in today's climate one never knows. It DOES sound like OP has checked all the necessary diversity boxes in his kitchen, though.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:01 PM

45,372 posts, read 60,546,019 times
My vote's for Harvest Gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate