Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 06:09 AM

14,969 posts, read 9,871,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
$70 is poverty level. Silly me, I looked at your name.

Help your kids to buy their homes, Dave!

C'mon, bust open that wallet of yours!
Already have. I believe in generational transfer of wealth without being taxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 02:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 8,619,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My daughter lives in CA (San Ramon)...and makes well into six figures and rents.
I know the area well. Are you going to help her get a house there?

Old 12-05-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I know the area well. Are you going to help her get a house there?
She doesn't want a house... there, she wants to move. If she'll move, then yes.

I have two adult children in Florida, another one on his way to Utah (currently in WV) who also wants to 'eventually' be in Florida. So, out my four adult kids, two have homes and two do not. They all want to move back to Florida.

If they do... then yes.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 12-05-2022 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-05-2022, 08:45 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,278,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Look at the bright side.

Higher housing prices will keep the dregs of society from moving into your neighborhood.
Haaahahaha they'll "move in" on the streets as homeless.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:48 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,278,437 times
The situation has massively changed so much in just a few years. I bought my first house in 2014 and it cost me 130k. Purchase price was 100k and it was a fixer requiring 30k of updates/repairs.

Same house today is worth 350k. That town no longer has working class/starter housing.

Something is wrong.

At the same time homelessness has exploded into a statewide crisis. Does no one see the connection?

Old 12-06-2022, 08:58 PM

10,383 posts, read 6,953,751 times
Quote:
Already have. I believe in generational transfer of wealth without being taxed.
I do too.

But, the various gov't entities have made this a more complex process than it needs to be. But, with proper guidance, it CAN be accomplished.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I do too.

But, the various gov't entities have made this a more complex process than it needs to be. But, with proper guidance, it CAN be accomplished.
I do annual gifting. 16k is the 2022 limit.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:56 PM

10,383 posts, read 6,953,751 times
Quote:
I do annual gifting. 16k is the 2022 limit.
Yup, $16k is the current limit, per person.

It's hardly anything though. I was thinking a bit more...

Old 12-07-2022, 05:58 PM

74 posts, read 28,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Millennials aren’t buying houses and are fed up with the housing market nonsense. They are also fed up with the moving goal post of the American dream and are looking to retire outside the country so they can live comfortably. Also opting out of having kids. I believe America is going to look a lot differently in the future. Thoughts?
However many Millennials it applies to (probably still a minority, though a significant minority), it's definitely a major trend. Why do you think they're bringing in so many immigrants in the West?

For a microcosm, look at NYC, Toronto, or London. Massive percentage of foreign-born residents. Officially around 40-45%, often feels like 75-80% (since many of them have US-born children, even if parents don't speak English / have accent, so seems like a foreign family). Yet in spite of such shallow roots, these places still function well enough - in a practical, mechanical sense; not going to get into cultural questions.

So, the real question is, is there any shortage of foreigners - the 7.5 billion who live outside of the US - who will serve as the 'new blood' that the Millennials will not provide in the same measure as prior generations? Having been to a few dozen countries and lived in several, I'm going to say no way is there a shortage of them, not a chance.

Even if the American dream is over or changing dramatically, there are billions of foreigners who haven't yet gotten the memo. And if you're a doctor or engineer or teacher earning $20k / $10k / $5k per year respectively abroad, the US still looks damn good, even if you're aware of the cons of living here, which most aren't. If all 330 million of us perished tomorrow, there are probably 330 million Chinese (or Indians, etc.) who would move here the next day if given the chance.

The US is much better positioned to handle a slow-growth population crisis than most/all of Europe is, due to the size/geographic diversity of the country, the English language, and the American Dream / Land of Opportunity branding.

Last edited by pleg1; 12-07-2022 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-25-2023, 03:14 PM

119 posts, read 233,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Millennials aren’t buying houses and are fed up with the housing market nonsense. They are also fed up with the moving goal post of the American dream and are looking to retire outside the country so they can live comfortably. Also opting out of having kids. I believe America is going to look a lot differently in the future. Thoughts?

As a millennial, I agree with everything said here. This phenomenon has already started with older generations leaving for a better standard of living. I'm meeting older folks who are purchasing retirement homes outside of the US and saving up as much as possible with plans of saying farewell to America within the next 10 years. I'm already looking for potential locations outside the US for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate