Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 05:25 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Millennials aren’t buying houses and are fed up with the housing market nonsense.
They are also fed up with the moving goal post of the American dream... Thoughts?
Millenials etc are at the pointy end of very poorly timed population bubble.

EVERYthing will be tougher because of the greater demand for X that their numbers dictate...
and the inability of so many of their generational siblings to ever afford X.
Who do you suppose those people will look to for 'basic income' in a few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 01:08 PM

4,622 posts, read 7,549,270 times
Apparently millennials are not paying their rent or utility bills either.............

More than three in 10 (35%) adults admit they still have at least one bill on their parents’ tab.

According to a new poll of 2,000 Americans, the top three expenses still paid by parents are rent (19%), groceries (19%) and utilities (16%).

In fact, almost one-quarter (24%) of millennials polled say their parents cover their rent.

About three-quarters of those respondents (72%) plan to take on these bills themselves within the next two years, but 30% admit they will be riding the wave until they’re told otherwise.

Another 31% are trying to save money, saying it is cheaper to stay on their parent’s plan.

Conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Chartway Credit Union, the survey showed that despite not managing all of their expenses, 85% of respondents consider themselves to be financially responsible.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:36 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
The oldest Millennials are now over 40. The "parents paying their bills" thing is becoming a trope.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:59 AM

3,927 posts, read 6,845,033 times
My wife and I are millenials. Bought my first house at 25, still own it and rent it. Bought my primary residence in 2019. We have 1 kid with another on the way.

A majority of my friends have homes that they own and many also have kids. I love the generalized statements about generations as if it's a generational problem/issue. It isn't.

We all know the world isn't having enough kids, check out this chart for global birth rates. Globally birth rates are declining and it's becoming a major issue in some countries.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:03 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,829,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
My wife and I are millenials. Bought my first house at 25, still own it and rent it. Bought my primary residence in 2019. We have 1 kid with another on the way.

A majority of my friends have homes that they own and many also have kids. I love the generalized statements about generations as if it's a generational problem/issue. It isn't.

We all know the world isn't having enough kids, check out this chart for global birth rates. Globally birth rates are declining and it's becoming a major issue in some countries.
You know... you just proved the point your are contenting, right? It's math

Old 02-02-2023, 11:06 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

There are way too many people in the world. Yes, I get the demographic issues, but the planet has a finite amount of space and resources.

The big issue, at least in the US, is population distribution. There's tons of work available in big cities, and not much relatively in the interior of the country. You have a lot of people chasing relatively few available properties in the areas where there are jobs.

Old 02-02-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There's tons of work available in big cities, and not much relatively in the interior of the country.
You have a lot of people chasing relatively few available properties in the areas where there are jobs.
(therefore) The big issue, at least in the US, is population distribution.
Relocate the un, under and no longer employed?
Get the deadwood out of the jobs & housing equation.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:28 PM

25,460 posts, read 9,825,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Relocate the un, under and no longer employed?
Get the deadwood out of the jobs & housing equation.
Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. Deadwood?

Old 02-03-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. Deadwood?
The 1/3 of the population that can't do for themselves...

Old 02-04-2023, 09:05 AM

4,539 posts, read 6,808,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Millennials aren’t buying houses and are fed up with the housing market nonsense. They are also fed up with the moving goal post of the American dream and are looking to retire outside the country so they can live comfortably. Also opting out of having kids. I believe America is going to look a lot differently in the future. Thoughts?
I don't agree. There are opportunities throughout the country. If someone wants to own a house they can develop a plan and make it happen. Some younger buyers are hung up on the fact that they can't buy the house they want in the place they grew up in an affluent suburb of Boston, NYC, SF, etc. Although it is more pronounced today, this is an age old problem. In the past, younger buyers bought small homes of less than 1000 sq ft that were outdated and/or in need of repair in less desirable locations and moved up as their income improved. Seemingly, fewer people are willing to take that path today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate