Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 06:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,335,572 times

Advertisements

To be honest, if I was buying a house for myself to live in, if it had an appliance, I did not like it wouldn't prevent me from making an offer or buying the home. Generally speaking, if I didn't like the appliance, I would replace it with one I preferred. We don't need to debate which is better than another and we are all entitled to our own opinions/preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 06:23 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
To be honest, if I was buying a house for myself to live in, if it had an appliance, I did not like it wouldn't prevent me from making an offer or buying the home. Generally speaking, if I didn't like the appliance, I would replace it with one I preferred. We don't need to debate which is better than another and we are all entitled to our own opinions/preferences.
The sticking point for me would be the fact that my preferred type of appliance (gas) is not an option or is an expensive retrofit, not the nature of the current appliance that is in place.

A gas cooktop on an existing hookup is like $1200 which is a drop in the bucket compared to the purchase price of the house.

Last edited by albert648; 07-24-2023 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-24-2023, 06:43 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
I grew up with gas stoves. In NYC, gas is very common.

Wasn't a fan of it since the stove was temperamental and the flame would shoot out.

We have a gas stove and don't really think of it as an upgrade. We actually don't think much of it at all, other than that's what the house came with.

Having a separate cooktop and oven was more important to me than whether it was gas or electric.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:12 AM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
To be honest, if I was buying a house for myself to live in, if it had an appliance, I did not like it wouldn't prevent me from making an offer or buying the home. Generally speaking, if I didn't like the appliance, I would replace it with one I preferred....
Fine if you have money to do that; however, although I like luxurious kitchens, the price range for larger, high-end Viking gas ranges runs very high, sometimes as much as cars, so that raises the price of the house so much that a new buyer (such as me) is unlikely to just switch out one of those, even if one prefers electric.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:54 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Fine if you have money to do that; however, although I like luxurious kitchens, the price range for larger, high-end Viking gas ranges runs very high, sometimes as much as cars, so that raises the price of the house so much that a new buyer (such as me) is unlikely to just switch out one of those, even if one prefers electric.
Perhaps not you, but generally a buyer who is buying in that price range can afford to replace a Viking stove with something else if they do not want a gas stove. If you can't afford a gas stove, you probably can not afford a million plus dollar house that comes with $30,000 appliances. A nice 3 bedroom 2 bah place in a tract of middle class home is not likely to be decorated with the sort of high end kitchen that revolves around a $30,000 range.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Perhaps not you, but generally a buyer who is buying in that price range can afford to replace a Viking stove with something else if they do not want a gas stove. If you can't afford a gas stove, you probably can not afford a million plus dollar house that comes with $30,000 appliances. A nice 3 bedroom 2 bah place in a tract of middle class home is not likely to be decorated with the sort of high end kitchen that revolves around a $30,000 range.
I already live in a house worth more than a million dollars, and that's well after the market peak, but I am not wasteful and I prefer to find a house that already has a lovely electric kitchen or at least does not contain a $30k Viking gas range that I don't want to pay for.

A separate sitting room in the master suite? Now that I'd gladly pay for.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:51 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
I already live in a house worth more than a million dollars, and that's well after the market peak, but I am not wasteful and I prefer to find a house that already has a lovely electric kitchen or at least does not contain a $30k Viking gas range that I don't want to pay for.

A separate sitting room in the master suite? Now that I'd gladly pay for.
Well, if you're in the Bay Area that probably means a 2 bedroom bungalow built in 1940, hardly "luxury".

Old 09-13-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, if you're in the Bay Area that probably means a 2 bedroom bungalow built in 1940, hardly "luxury".
Depends on the city. My house is larger and newer than that, but there are some unique and charming little bungalows in some very nice areas of the Bay Area, and they usually get snapped up quickly when they go to market.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:28 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
My cooktop is gas, but it has a glass surface around the burners. I really dislike it. You can't just wipe the glass clean. For it to look good, it has to be polished. It needs daily polishing to keep it looking nice.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:46 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Depends on the city. My house is larger and newer than that, but there are some unique and charming little bungalows in some very nice areas of the Bay Area, and they usually get snapped up quickly when they go to market.
I sold my house in the second worst ZIP Code of Oakland a year and a half ago. Multiple bids some were “insulting”, but I got 40 over asking.

It was in fine condition, but cosmetically, it needed work. At the end of it, my choices were between a flipper, or the guy who has been telling me for years that when I moved, he wanted to buy my house. I sold to …. the flipper!

No, I didn’t, I sold to the guy wanted to buy my house. Which is nice because he keeps sending me updates on the things he’s done.

Monetarily, it was a wash. I sold my house to the guy who wants to be in that neighborhood, and make it better. I not only made that guy happy, I made my neighbors happy because they knew this guy too, and they loved him.

I was moving away, cross country, but I still care about that neighborhood. I was there a long time. Lots of good memories in that place. Now somebody gets to raise his own family in it and create his own memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate