Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
who better to ask than the seller?
And if there is a child predator 3 doors down do you think they'll tell you? Or about the drunk who lives next door who likes to come over and discuss world events?

Nothing worse than going into a home with a buyer on a Saturday morning and there are 3 kids sitting in front of a blaring TV eating cereal for breakfast while mom is in the kitchen.

This is usually when a buyer bolts for the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 06:09 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
dogmom, you're the reason I posted this! I wish you would not sit in your car while people are in your house; I would feel terrible if I knew the seller were doing that for me. I was out in the back yard about 50% of the time for my last house sale, and it seemed to be the best solution, but of course it wasn't that hot.

I would try never to be inside and wouldn't follow the potential buyer around. If they want to come out and chat I'm available. But if anyone thinks I'm being "rude" by staying in my own house, they can look elsewhere. "privacy" you "deserve?" No.
I so agree!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:12 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And if there is a child predator 3 doors down do you think they'll tell you? Or about the drunk who lives next door who likes to come over and discuss world events?

This is usually when a buyer bolts for the door.

I disagree with this statement. You can usually tell when someone is lying or purposely evading the truth. I don't know any buyers who "bolt" for the door.

I actually had a buyer cooking in the kitchen for a party when I was looking at their house. It didn't deter me at all. They were pleasant and nice. If I was interested in the house, I would have bought it.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:13 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I have to disagree with the OP, as a buyer I never want to see the seller while I am looking at the home. It makes me uncomfortable and I think that it is very rude that the seller cannot give me the privacy that I deserve while shopping for a home. I have had my realtor cancel showings when I find out that the seller plans to be home and I will not hesitate to drive right past a house if I see that the seller has not left prior to my arrival.
That is rather crass....let me reword it

I have to agree with the OP, as a buyer I always want to see the seller while I am looking at the home. It makes me comfortable and I think that it is very polite that the seller allows me to make myself at home, while I am shopping for a home. I have had my realtor order pizza when I find out that the seller plans to be home and I will not hesitate to drive right up in the driveway of any house I see for sale in hopes that the seller appears to be home, so I can call my realtor and say they are home, get me in!!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Isn' there a happy medium for sellers and buyers? As a seller, I appreciate the buyers need for seeing our home and all it's nooks and crannys. I don't understand coming for the 5th time and staying an hour and a half, but I digress, that's another thread (can you tell I am still ticked off?)..

As a buyer, I appreciate that it IS someone's home and I don't mind if they hang around, but maybe out back or take a little walk. I don't need to spend an hour in a house the first go around. I know as soon as I come in if I get a good feel of it, if it feels good to me, if it's going to work for us. Before and after we look, we will check out the neighborhood, and before we make an offer we might drive around at different times of the day and on the weekend to check the place out. We can always find crime stats from the local PD and sex offenders online. IF I need to see the house a 2nd time it would be to confirm that it's the right place. Twice is enough. Offer always contingent on inspection passing, the measuring and close up stuff can take place a little later on..I will know if my sectional will fit in the family room by looking at it. Nothing is perfect. Not even brand new homes.

And I refuse to sniff anyone's grass.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Do you think ANY realtor will tell you, buyer's or seller's? That's why you revisit the neighborhood Saturday night, and check the internet molester page. I told my last realtor to pass on molester-next-door information to my buyer. Do you think he did? He pretended right in front of me it was the first he'd heard.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I agree with you about buyers checking the internet molester page. Even as an agent we do'nt know where they live at any given day.

A buyer and their agent should do their own homework.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:34 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,964 times
Well said. Obviously people are split on the issue (of owners present, not molesters). I think if the owners are on the premises but not tagging along, that's fine.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times
Oh dear, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the "big slobbering dog" comment. It was actually anecdotal, I just neglected to share the anecdote. One time, as my agent and I were pulling up to a home for our pre-arranged appointment, the owner was in the driveway, literally shoving the butt of her HUGE dog in the car. And yes, there was slobber-evidence all over the house. Near the dog dish (which was still on the kitchen floor), on the lower parts of the sliders to the deck, on the glass fireplace doors. For me, as a non-doglover, it was a major turnoff factor.

And this was a fairly new (not quite 10 years old), upscale home in an exclusive neighborhood. Because of the dog wear and tear, the house's interior looked much older than it should have.

As I said, I've been both a seller and a buyer. I am currently both. Like many of you other sellers, we work our tails off to make our home show-ready. Then, we vacate to allow lookers to look and speak without worry of offending us. Once we have a deal underway, I love meeting the sellers or buyers. Until that time, I prefer to have everything be as impersonal and unemotional as possible.

When I am selling, as I am now, the moment the sign goes up on the front lawn, it ceases to be my home and becomes a property on the market.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Oh dear, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the "big slobbering dog" comment. It was actually anecdotal, I just neglected to share the anecdote. One time, as my agent and I were pulling up to a home for our pre-arranged appointment, the owner was in the driveway, literally shoving the butt of her HUGE dog in the car. And yes, there was slobber-evidence all over the house. Near the dog dish (which was still on the kitchen floor), on the lower parts of the sliders to the deck, on the glass fireplace doors. For me, as a non-doglover, it was a major turnoff factor.

And this was a fairly new (not quite 10 years old), upscale home in an exclusive neighborhood. Because of the dog wear and tear, the house's interior looked much older than it should have.

As I said, I've been both a seller and a buyer. I am currently both. Like many of you other sellers, we work our tails off to make our home show-ready. Then, we vacate to allow lookers to look and speak without worry of offending us. Once we have a deal underway, I love meeting the sellers or buyers. Until that time, I prefer to have everything be as impersonal and unemotional as possible.

When I am selling, as I am now, the moment the sign goes up on the front lawn, it ceases to be my home and becomes a property on the market.
No offense taken, Nelly...we have the three dogs, but they aren't big slobberers (is that a word). We remove the water and food dishes out of the house, clean all the windows from those nose prints and make sure when you walk in it doesn't smell doggy. Aside from the doggy door you would not know we had dogs, I would hope.

Anyway, there are extremes on both ends, and you are right, once the property has a for sale in front it ceases to be a home and becomes a sale item...later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate