Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM

33 posts, read 119,529 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of agents who take coloring books strictly for that purpose.

I prefer to just wait until their parents aren't looking and tell them If they don't behave I'm going to cut Santa Claus's head off and leave it under their bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 04:24 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brytanica1 View Post
I know a lot of agents who take coloring books strictly for that purpose.

I prefer to just wait until their parents aren't looking and tell them If they don't behave I'm going to cut Santa Claus's head off and leave it under their bed.

Awesome!
yeah and if the little dearies say somethign, you can do that innocent, who me look right????

Old 08-14-2008, 04:39 PM

33 posts, read 119,529 times
Honestly, toddlers and babies don't bother me at all, because they honestly don't know what they are doing etc...

Now teenagers on the other hand..

A few years back I was working with a lady who was a single mother with a 16 year old son who was a bit of a problem child, had been in trouble with the law, and was just a rude, obnoxious little crapstain.

Which I don't get, because his mother was one of the nicest people ever. So we were up at the office writing an offer and he got into an argument with his mom over something and said " F__ you, bi_ch" at which she promptly burst into tears.

I got up, and was like we are going to have a little talk out side, and he was like "F___ you too, f__got!"

So, after I dragged him outside by his neck we had a little talk about respect for our mothers and how not acting like a civilized human being can lead to grievous bodily harm. I like to think I made a difference as he sat the rest of the meeting in utter silence.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Quote:

I hope you're joking.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I hope you're joking.
I'm sure she is, no one is that cruel.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I don't mind kids at showings. When I know I plan in advance for a stop at a playground after 3 or 4 properties- it gives the kids a chance to blow off some energy and it gives me a chance to take the temp of the parents.

I hate it when we have to bring grandpa/grandma/mom/dad/aunt/uncle/friend/co-worker/neighbor... back to the house for the forth time in order for the buyers to make a decision. There are many way to get out of a real estate contract; there is only one way to get in one.

My other pet peeve is kids at closing. It easily adds another half hour to the already longer than necessary, closing.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Which I don't get, because his mother was one of the nicest people ever. So we were up at the office writing an offer and he got into an argument with his mom over something and said " F__ you, bi_ch" at which she promptly burst into tears.

I got up, and was like we are going to have a little talk out side, and he was like "F___ you too, f__got!"

So, after I dragged him outside by his neck we had a little talk about respect for our mothers and how not acting like a civilized human being can lead to grievous bodily harm. I like to think I made a difference as he sat the rest of the meeting in utter silence.
Tears? The kid would have been picking himself up out of the corner after I smacked him a good one upside the head! I often hear kids being obnoxious to their mothers when we are out shopping. You have to know they learned it from somewhere.......their fathers????? I did some substitute teaching in a vo-tech school and it was horrible what they thought they could get away with. One kid harrassed me and then literally taunted me to hit him because "I'll sue your a$$ off". Needless to say, I didn't renew my contract the next year.

My biggest concerns with taking toddlers to showings is that my house has no babyproofing whatsoever in it, and cleaning supplies under the cabinets and in closets. Plus there are two sets of stairs with no gates over them. Kids can get into something so fast that it would be over before the parents realized what was happening. No matter how well behaved kids are, something could catch their eye and off they go. I also have a couple cabinets with glass doors and one whack of a toy or hand could shatter them with disastrous results. I have no toys in my house, either, to occupy them.

And as a seller, I would not be happy that the agent spent all the time babysitting the kids instead of extolling the "virtues" of my house! That's what I'm paying him/her for. If you must take them along, then please allow the agent to do her job, and then after doing it if she wants to babysit while you walk through again (maybe jotting down questions), that's fine. But you are taking your, her and my time and need to make the most of it.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:24 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post

And as a seller, I would not be happy that the agent spent all the time babysitting the kids instead of extolling the "virtues" of my house! That's what I'm paying him/her for. If you must take them along, then please allow the agent to do her job, and then after doing it if she wants to babysit while you walk through again (maybe jotting down questions), that's fine. But you are taking your, her and my time and need to make the most of it.
I was referring to a buyers agent. They work for the buyer, not the seller

Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 AM

222 posts, read 1,054,234 times
If it is an option, get a good baby carrier like an Ergo. I can even wear my 5 yo, but she knows to keep her hands to herself. There have been times when DH and I tag-team the house - he goes in and I stay with the 1 year old and then we switch. If our agent has already been in the house, she is often willing to stay in the car or yard with the baby if DH and I want to look at something together.

It certainly is easier w/o the kids. We usually take them to a second showing. Often my mom will watch them, or we will go when the kids are still at daycare (take off early one day).

GL

Old 08-17-2008, 07:16 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
My biggest concerns with taking toddlers to showings is that my house has no babyproofing whatsoever in it, and cleaning supplies under the cabinets and in closets. Plus there are two sets of stairs with no gates over them. Kids can get into something so fast that it would be over before the parents realized what was happening. No matter how well behaved kids are, something could catch their eye and off they go. I also have a couple cabinets with glass doors and one whack of a toy or hand could shatter them with disastrous results. I have no toys in my house, either, to occupy them.

NONE of this applied to my case. First, my children are by my side, holding my hand NOT touching anything. Second, if any watching went on by an agent, it was by MINE, the buyer's agent, not the selling agent.

And for the person who show said closings take longer when kids are along, that's not always true either. Never had a problem with bringing my son. He's probably been to more closings than a lot of adults and he knows the drill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate