Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times

Advertisements

The high price of homes 10 minutes down the road is irrelevant BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 PM

516 posts, read 1,887,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acevaz View Post
We have had two real real estates gives us suggested prices. Both were a low in my opinion and one price was actually insulting.
What's insulting about an honest opinion?

Quote:
I say place the home on the market that I want to sell it for and see what happens & reduce in 30 days if no one bites. My husband says place it on the suggested price or rent.
Our neighbor across the street bought her house a year ago for $495,000. Comparable homes (and I mean exact same model in the same tract) are sitting on the market for months today at $320,000.

The question you have to ask is, do you really want to sell it?

Quote:
I don't like to idea of renting and dealing with tenants. As for suggested price, that won't give us enough to place on the second home.
Welcome to the real world. You are in the same position as just about everyone who purchased during the boom.

If you REALLY want a good picture of what the home is worth, follow 2bindenver's advice: Call an appraiser. For a few hundred dollars, you will get an accurate picture of what that house is worth in the current market. Then you can make an informed decision.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:33 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Actually, I would be careful calling in an appraiser right now. An appraisal tells us what the mortgage company is willing to loan, not what the market value is. Which may be different. and if she doesn't put on the market for a couple of months... then the market could be down even more. Chasing a market down is not a good idea.

Sorry you didn't like what the experts told you your house would sell for. Sometimes the truth hurts. and what you need to get money wise has zero to do with what someone else will pay for what you have now.

shelly

Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 PM

525 posts, read 1,297,596 times
Yeah don't bother with an appraisal. Our home appraised (we clearly stated we wanted the appraisal for selling purposes, not financing) for 275k. We have it on the market right now for 249k (just recently lowered again). Listed since April.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
The Hubby and I want to relocate to NC in August 2009 but first we need to sell our home in PA. We purchased our home in 2006. It's a new construction and very modern home (4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, approx. 2700 sq ft). Only used as a vacation home. We have had two real real estates gives us suggested prices. Both were a low in my opinion and one price was actually insulting. The home is located in a really touristy place and million dollars home down 10 mins down the road.

I say place the home on the market that I want to sell it for and see what happens & reduce in 30 days if no one bites. My husband says place it on the suggested price or rent. I don't like to idea of renting and dealing with tenants. As for suggested price, that won't give us enough to place on the second home.

Advice anyone?
Advice? Get over the fact that your home is not the Taj Majal you think it is.....

Millions of sellers thought the same way as you and now after several price reductions are kicking themselves by saying "Why didn't I start out w/an aggressive price to begin with?"

Bottom line, if you don't have enough to cover your new house, lower your champagne tastes and cut back.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
The high price of homes 10 minutes down the road is irrelevant BTW.

Agree. The million dollar houses around the corner from me aren't doing me a bit of good . If they were, I would have sold months ago at original list price.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
I agree with those that told you that your strategy won't work.

Even if you decided to put it on the market for the price you want and someone made an offer for that price, if they are not buying cash, they will need an appraisal done by their lender. If it doesn't appraise, you would be looking at dropping the contract price to the amount it appraised at, or just not sell.

I also agree that other homes if they are not comparable to yours in size, age, amenities, they would be irrelevant.

Lastly, your serious buyers will be those that will come and look at it when it is first on the market. If you drop it, and they may like it, they will hang around hoping that you would drop it even further or they would think that you are desperate to sell and they will lowball you.

Listen to the professionals and study the comparables they gave you.

Good luck,

Naima

Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
The pennies I have to add to this...

I usually tell people to go to realtor.com, go to the advanced search, put in your zip, bedrooms & baths. Pick a wide price range.. with us, we'd be in the $150k to $250k - I needed to see the lower houses and how they compared to mine. This will give you a ballpark of where you're going to list.

Next, look to see what agent has the best ads on realtor.com. For someone like you selling a vacation home, chances are you need someone that advertises a lot on the web. You want someone with good pictures.

Pick 3 agents and interview them. I have a seller's interview question list and can paste it in here if you'd like.

Hard to say if the agents were right or not. Some like to go in low hoping to sell it quickly. No matter what you list for, chances are buyers are going to lowball you by $10k to $25k

Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 PM

138 posts, read 369,368 times
The advice and tips given with respect and in good taste will be pondered on. As for the sarcastic comments mentioned in the posts... You wasted your time in posting. Next time someone posts in the forum seeking for advice, remember this.. It is seeking for an opinion not a tongue lashing.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
. Next time someone posts in the forum seeking for advice, remember this.. It is seeking for an opinion not a tongue lashing.
Wrong.

Did you come here to hear what YOU want to hear, or do you want the "wake up and snap out of it" truth?

I didn't realize you were that thin skinned.....sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate