Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:03 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acevaz View Post
The advice and tips given with respect and in good taste will be pondered on. As for the sarcastic comments mentioned in the posts... You wasted your time in posting. Next time someone posts in the forum seeking for advice, remember this.. It is seeking for an opinion not a tongue lashing.
I hate to tell you this but you're hubby is right on and you're wrong on this one. This is not the market to "test the waters." If you want to sell, you're going to have to get over what your house "might" have been worth a year, two, or even three years ago.
It's a whole different ballgame now. Trust me, I know. The people that responded to your posts know. You need to know so you will know what lies in store for you trying to sell in this dump of a market.
You're taking all this way too personal, and the advice given is solid. If you don't follow it, I predict you will be on this very board three months from now complaining why no one is coming to see your house or why you can't sell it.

Good luck, though whatever you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
When I see an ad for a house that states, "price reduced $________," the first thing I wonder is what the house is really worth.

I think it's just human nature for a potential buyer to feel that the house may still be overpriced and the reduction is a sign that the seller is getting desperate.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 AM

138 posts, read 369,670 times
PotterGeek- After viewing the advice (not the sacarstic ones) and more discussions with my husband, we have decided to sell @ the RE suggestion. We won't be walking away with $ I had hoped for but the market is in bad shape right now.

Here's my main concern... We sell the home but we won't be able to get another house due to some debt we accumlated but we have never defaulted on our mortgage, payment has always been on time. It's not a lot of debt but now more companies are tougher when approving applications.

Does anyone know of mortgage companies giving second time home buyers a hard time?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 AM

CouponJack-

I don't need Dr.Phil type of therapy on this forum. All I asked for was some advice.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,387 times
Acevaz--

If you're concerned about debt right now (or soon after selling), you may want to consider renting for a bit. It would give you time to pay down your debt and chances are, home prices will drop further, so when you do jump back in, you'll be getting more bang for your buck.

That said, do your own thorough research on LOCAL market trends where you're looking to buy and see if the further price declines look likely.

You could still come out okay, even if you take a hit on the selling price.

Good luck. I wish you a speedy sale. Now go stage the heck out of the place and get it CLEAN. Make sure your realtor gets good pictures, too-- show flow of one room to another, light fireplaces, lots of light everywhere, etc.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 AM

Cohdane-

Thanks for positive advice. Lucky for us, this home was only used as a vacation home so there is not a lot of clean up other than the usually dusting and cleaning.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 AM

995 posts, read 3,931,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acevaz View Post
PotterGeek- After viewing the advice (not the sacarstic ones) and more discussions with my husband, we have decided to sell @ the RE suggestion. We won't be walking away with $ I had hoped for but the market is in bad shape right now.

Here's my main concern... We sell the home but we won't be able to get another house due to some debt we accumlated but we have never defaulted on our mortgage, payment has always been on time. It's not a lot of debt but now more companies are tougher when approving applications.

Does anyone know of mortgage companies giving second time home buyers a hard time?
1. Smart move on your part with the selling price.
2. Check your debt-to-income and mortgage-to-income ratio. If they are not within the required levels, then forget buying a house. For most ppl, buying another house before selling the existing one is almost impossible.
3. From my experience, who is a second time buyer, I had no trouble getting finance just because I'm a second time buyer. Qualification matters more these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate