Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:08 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,369 times

Advertisements

I find all the houses I want to see, my realtor is a friend...I bring him a long so he can make some money on his commission. He is a lazy realtor though and makes mistakes in his contracts that I catch....yes, ME. Little things like that. Anyhow, I want to make an offer on a house. Can I just contact the sellers realtor and put in an offer ? I have heard that since the commission only goes to the sellers realtor now, that the owners can negotiate more on the price since they don't have pay another realtor involved. The less realtors = more money for the seller which means more of a possible discount for me. Right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:17 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,588 times
hey dude, not necessarily so. you go in with NO representation. NO idea what the comps are and what you should negotiate for.. etc. and the work really starts AFTER the offer is accepted.

Now, the commission structure is between the seller and the sellers agent. Why should the seller pass on the savings to you? why should the agent allow it? It has already been set in the listing agreement what the seller will pay the agent. If the agent is now doing the work for both the seller and the agent, he/she doesn't have to pass his commission on to either one of you....

Do yourself a favor and go get a GOOD real estate agent, have them pull comps and help you craft an excellent offer. One that would be good for everyone, and get you the home you want.

JMHO,

Shelly

Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,369 times
good advice..thanks shellytc

Old 09-05-2008, 05:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
You no more need an agent when buying a house than you when buying a car or a new suit. I bought several houses without agents.

Selling yeah, buying no.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:24 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,588 times
Hey dude, I just reread my answer and I want to make sure ya'll know I am not being a smart aleck... I just see so many come in to make an offer and you actually pay MORE than you should. The home could be over priced. You want the best deal possible... and there is NO guarantee you will get the benefit of the commission currently offered to a buyers agent.

Thanks for understanding : )

Shelly

Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You no more need an agent when buying a house than you when buying a car or a new suit. I bought several houses without agents.

Selling yeah, buying no.
Really depends on the experience level of the buyer. If you,ve done it 5-6 times you may be competent to put together a decent offer.

Still a Good agent can help guide you through the other issues like inspection, repairs, closing documents.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:26 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,663 times
Your location is Coral Springs, are you purchasing in Florida? If so, then Shellytc is incorrect. When you call the listing agent, ask if they have that listing as a transaction broker. If so, then you do have representation, someone that legally has to treat both you and the seller fairly and honestly and not reveal anything about your situation you don't want them to reveal.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:42 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
If you know so much, you can use it to your advantage....if you think you need advise than use a buyers agent or a real estate lawyer.

I buy the houses myself without a realtor and I'm very confident doing so and I learned that I can easier get prices down since there is only one agent involved.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I find all the houses I want to see, my realtor is a friend...I bring him a long so he can make some money on his commission. He is a lazy realtor though and makes mistakes in his contracts that I catch....yes, ME. Little things like that. Anyhow, I want to make an offer on a house. Can I just contact the sellers realtor and put in an offer ? I have heard that since the commission only goes to the sellers realtor now, that the owners can negotiate more on the price since they don't have pay another realtor involved. The less realtors = more money for the seller which means more of a possible discount for me. Right ?
If you don't have confidence that your friend is a competent Realtor then you should keep the relationship as a friendship and keep business out of it.

You can work directly with the seller's broker. Be sure you understand how the seller's broker is representing the seller. If they are working as a transaction broker then they should be working with both sides without representing either sides interests.

Your incorrect about the "less realtors = more money for the seller" the contract with the listing broker is probably a fixed percentage of the sales price. So if you don't have your own Realtor, the seller's broker will not be splitting the total sales commission with another broker.

While you don't need a Realtor to make an offer, I would recommend that you find a Realtor with the experience to represent your interests. A Realtor that will do what is necessary to get the contract to closing. Most of the problems in a real estate transaction occur after the contract has been signed. Without the experience of working through the issues, most people can't see the significance of many of the terms of the contract. There are 2 primary contracts that are used in Florida - which one would you use and why? Would you elect to pay for and choose the title company? How could that choice help or hurt you? Would you be making an "as is" offer or an offer where the seller warranties the house? I could go on with stories of what I've seen and heard in my years of working as a Realtor here in Florida, but honestly most real estate transaction do involve willing and honest sellers and willing and honest buyers. And despite what you may hear, honest and hard working Realtors.

The choice is yours. Good Luck

Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
A couple of things.
First, you are never required to hire a real estate agent to represent you if you don't want one. Yes, you can contact the sellers agent and have them write your offer for you, and present it to the seller.
Second, having one less agent in the process does NOT necessarily mean more money for the seller. The fee to be paid to the listing agent is agreed to before the property is put up for sale, and does not change based on the number of agents in the process. That listing agent either pays out part of his fee to an agent who brings a buyer, or keeps it all for himself. (Actually, that's all to the BROKER, but let's not worry about that distinction for right now.)
The question you need to ask yourself is; Can I somehow convince the seller to take the offer I want to make? Remember, the agent is not going to help you in that negotiatiating process, as he is the agent of the SELLER. Is it possible you can convince the sellers agent to cut his commission in order to make the deal work? Sure, it's possible. I'm not sure how likely it is. Can you save enough money to make up for the additional time & effort you will have to put in, and for the lack of represeantation you will have? Again, sure it's possible, but I don'r know how likely. That depends on you.

And for the record, a GOOD real estate agent can help you to save time effort & money. The guy you say "is a lazy Realtor," who "makes mistakes in his contracts" is probably not going to save you much if anything. If you are going to look for someone to represent you, don't let it be this friend. If he screws something up for you, you'll have a screwed up transaction AND you'll lose a friend.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 09-06-2008 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate