Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 AM

183 posts, read 686,184 times

Advertisements

We've been on the market about 65 days, have had a steady amount of showings (but no offers), we are leading the pack in pricing and live in an area that isn't drastically affected by the housing bubble (Austin) My gut tells me to leave our house on the market thru the holidays when inventory is low, and people have fewer choices, but my brain is telling me that by Spring, when the mkt picks up, we will have been on the mkt for 130+ days, we will have a lot more competition and our listing will be stale. WWYD?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:18 AM

392 posts, read 1,374,774 times
....and cue the people telling you that you AREN'T priced right...

in 5...4...3...2...1...

Old 11-20-2008, 08:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
In even the hottest of markets there are very few reasons to have your home on the market during the holidays. This year, with the economic conditions, the coming inaugeration/party switchover, real estate glut I think you are dead-on that an "aged listed" is going to scream for a big cut in the spring...

Without knowing why you want/need to sell my basic advice is to shelf it for now. Very few people NEED to move right know, and unless things are way different in Austin, those that do are going to be bargin hunting...

Old 11-20-2008, 08:34 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
If your house isn't on the market, it won't sell. Keep it on.

Showings are nice, but since you AREN'T getting legitimate offers from qualified buyers, (Read this again, OFFERS FROM QUALIFIED BUYERS), then you ARE NOT priced right (no matter what anyone tells you).

Lower your price drastically and the MARKETwill tell you what your house is worth.

Only follow this information IF you want to sell.

Its up to you.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In even the hottest of markets there are very few reasons to have your home on the market during the holidays. This year, with the economic conditions, the coming inaugeration/party switchover, real estate glut I think you are dead-on that an "aged listed" is going to scream for a big cut in the spring...

Without knowing why you want/need to sell my basic advice is to shelf it for now. Very few people NEED to move right know, and unless things are way different in Austin, those that do are going to be bargin hunting...
This is TERRIBLE advice because there ARE potential buyers out there. Serious one's too. If your house is not on the market IT WON'T sell.

If the sellers LOWERS his price aggressively, it will go back on the hot sheet, AND then the market will determine if its PRICED RIGHT.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
What price range are you in? Overall, RRE has 5.11 months of inventory on the market right now, and RRW has 4.64, but there's a pretty big range depending on price point. That information (how things are moving in your area in your price point) would help determine the answer.

Also, what does your agent (who has all the facts that we don't) say?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 AM

392 posts, read 1,374,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
This is TERRIBLE advice because there ARE potential buyers out there. Serious one's too. If your house is not on the market IT WON'T sell.

If the sellers LOWERS his price aggressively, it will go back on the hot sheet, AND then the market will determine if its PRICED RIGHT.
I agree with Jack...leave it on. People are still buying, and just because its the holidays, doesnt mean that all buying stops. Let the other people take their houses off the market because they dont want it to interfere with their holiday festivities.

I did peg it on the price reduction though

Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavs View Post
I agree with Jack...leave it on. People are still buying, and just because its the holidays, doesnt mean that all buying stops. Let the other people take their houses off the market because they dont want it to interfere with their holiday festivities.

I did peg it on the price reduction though
There were 1527 SINGLE FAMILY HOMES sold in November '07 per the Austin MLS.

I'll guarantee you not one of those sellers followed that guy's advice.

Again, there ARE homes selling.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
65 days doesn't seem like a disaster that totally indicts your price.

That said, as you make your decision, please consider this possibility: That the economy will get progressively and perhaps dramatically worse by spring. If that happens, how will it effect your listing price? How will it effect buyers' reaction to that price?

I have no idea what the answer for you is. But I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 AM

422 posts, read 1,365,775 times
What is the point of taking it off the market? Keep it on! Ya know how many out of town family member will be in town over the holidays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate