Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:13 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,699,898 times

Advertisements

I think the point is many buyers (people) are stupid and they need their hands held for them. So when they walk in a house their eyes get focused on bras hanging from door knobs and not looking at the chestnut made door that you can't find in a newer home. Distractions of clutter and paint just give people the excuses to not buy the house. Very simple. If the furniture is laid out in a model home type way then the buyer may be able to invision themself their easier than say if you had two basket of laundry and a lazyboy covered in stains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 AM

973 posts, read 3,306,624 times
[quote=Sassygirl18;5470384]The problem is that clutter, flourescent colors and general MESS distract buyers from seeing what the house really is underneath. I agree with those who posted that when you see a house that is a total mess with junk and clutter all over the place, it makes you wonder how much care these people have put into taking care of the maintenance on the house. If they are so lazy that they can't clean up for listing photos, what does that tell you?

I can overlook paint colors and decor because everone has different tastes. I really don't expect a house to be magazine perfect, either. What I can't overlook a basic lack of cleanliness, though.

I've been in houses that were for sale, yet reeked of pet urine, the kitchen didn't appear to have cleaned since WWII, the shower looked like a science experiment gone wrong and badly stained carpet.

I worked my tail off to keep my house looking great when it was for sale. Although I am somewhat of a clean freak, it was a little much at times.
It was worth it though when my houses sold quickly when others in the neighborhood had been sitting there for a while.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:45 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,447,561 times
Realtors do not live in these homes it is the sellers responsiblities to make the homes attractive. Since I hope to be a buyer sooner rather than later, I do not rule out houses without interior photos but I do figure in the reason why there may not be any. As to the photos that are posted, so far my favorite was of a M. Bdrm with the toilet 2' from the side of the bed and it was of duel purpose of course, a nite stand complete with ashtray and a novel. Have to laugh it would be convient in the middle of the nite.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 AM

15,586 posts, read 40,472,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Life isn't HGTV. I'm often amazed that people will look at pictures and make a decision about a house. I'm often amazed that people will discount a house because there are clothes laying around. I can't believe some people will buy a house because of the way a couch is placed or they like how the furniture looks or there are well placed vases and candles. You're purchasing the STRUCTURE and LOCATION not someone's color of the walls or their clothes laying around. The sellers are just people, living a life. I can make suggestions to them and if they don't follow them...oh well. They are advised it may cost them quite a bit of money because some people can't get beyond it to the meat of the matter.
As for making a duplex look like a single home, to me, it's incorrect. But...they had nice pictures!
I think in theory we shouldn't judge homes without being in them, but when you are screening through 50 homes that meet your criteria, you are going to have to prioritize somehow. Junky looking homes are just lower on the priority list.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:27 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,933,426 times
Here's a story that will demonstrate the issue.

Several years ago I was showing property to a couple. Two of the homes that I showed were the exact same model. Same builder and basically the same neighborhood. One house was professionally decorated (priced 15% higher), the other was family decorated and very kid friendly.

After each showing I attempt to better understand what people are looking for by discussing the pro's and con's of the property.

The professionally decorated house was perceived to be larger, newer, great flow, a lot of house for the money.

The family friendly house was perceived to be small, poor layout, rooms too small for their furniture, over priced.

They were shocked when I pointed out that the homes were identical except for decor and price.

Perception is realty for many people, photos that don't put a property in it's best light will cause many to ignore the property. A property that is not neat and clean and staged for the showing will be overlooked by prospective buyers.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Here's a story that will demonstrate the issue.

Several years ago I was showing property to a couple. Two of the homes that I showed were the exact same model. Same builder and basically the same neighborhood. One house was professionally decorated (priced 15% higher), the other was family decorated and very kid friendly.

After each showing I attempt to better understand what people are looking for by discussing the pro's and con's of the property.

The professionally decorated house was perceived to be larger, newer, great flow, a lot of house for the money.

The family friendly house was perceived to be small, poor layout, rooms too small for their furniture, over priced.

They were shocked when I pointed out that the homes were identical except for decor and price.

Perception is realty for many people, photos that don't put a property in it's best light will cause many to ignore the property. A property that is not neat and clean and staged for the showing will be overlooked by prospective buyers.
If your clients could not tell two IDENTICAL homes (layout/size) were the same then they are morons.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:46 AM

718 posts, read 2,080,837 times
All those "dumps" you see photographed were rejected as listings by some other agent....hence the problem.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:55 AM

983 posts, read 2,775,999 times
Quote:
If your clients could not tell two IDENTICAL homes (layout/size) were the same then they are morons.
I beg to differ. Have you ever watched the staging shows on HGTV like "Designed to Sell"? When they are finished staging a house, it looks much larger, better flow and completely different (and better). It doesn't even look like the same house. I can definitely see how a person could look at two identical model homes and not realize they are the same home because one is a cluttered mess. It completely detracts from all the positive attributes of a home.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:05 PM

Not arguing that it wouldn't detract from the positive attributes of a home. BUT TO think two houses with the same structural layout aren't the same layout is just insane to me.
Now if you looked at 15 houses in a given day then sure maybe it would all blend to a degree for some people. But seriously... No staging would make me lose track of a houses core.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:21 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Our house is currently on the market so over the past couple months, I've been browsing a lot of real estate listings, keeping my eye on the inventory in several of the towns we are interested in and familiarizing myself with what's available in these areas.

I am frequently amazed by how realtors list many of the homes. First of all, they post photos of a home that is in complete disarray - beds unmade, junk all over the place, massive amounts of clutter. Why don't these realtors coach their clients about staging or if they are not staging experts, at the minimum instruct them to clean up the place and declutter? How could they snap these photos and post them in a listing and not realize that photos of a home that looks like a disaster area are not going to attract buyers? I mean, I'm not a realtor and I know this. Isn't this real estate 101?

I've seen photos of bedrooms painted in flourescent colors, photos with pets in them, homes with personal photos all over the walls (which by now everyone knows is a no-no), PEOPLE in the photos (watching t.v. or hanging around), back yards cluttered with plastic kindercrap - all things that would be easy an easy fix.

The other things that drive me crazy about real estate listings are listings that have no photo of the exterior front of the house (what are they hiding?), or instead of a photo of the exterior, they'll post a closeup photo of the front door only. WTF?

And then they list twins as single family homes ALL THE TIME. This is rampant. And it's deceiving because many twins LOOK like single family homes from the front photo.

Sorry, just had to vent. If you have any comments about why realtors do these things, I'd love to hear them.
You are right. And I like these realtors because I go after their expired listings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate