Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Tambre-make a list of pros/cons and see what outweighs what.

Yes I'm in MN and lonely, unhappy with being sofar away. Kids were dead set against this move. Mr. L has 2 sisters out here and we thought he would be able to spend time/enjoy thm but it hasn't turned out that way as they are very cold and distant-so much for family.
Sounds familar Lacey. We do have my fantastic bil and sil and boys in NH though and they are the greatest. We also have my cousin in Conn but she has new grandbabies and her dh also has cancer but it spread to his lungs. My bro and my SIL lives now in SC but have 8 grandkids and never have time to visit. We had better friends in CA.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Painter I'm sorry but you never know. Must've been the lookers from h-ll weekend.

Lorrie-it's just yesterday really was aggravating and realtor offices are closed on weekends-not even a receptionist who could advise you they're running an hour late.

We will stipulate new rules tomorrow that even tho they have a window of time they call if they're being delayed and preferrably 10 min before arrival.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
[quote=dogmom;7266546]Lorrie, I know how you feel...we screwed up real bad leaving California for southern Utah..I knew it as soon as we got there...but it was too late. What we should have done when we decided to sell our house out in Newcastle (east of Sac) was downsize to just a city place..we had 3 acres out there heavenly acres...but the plan was for my folks to move in with us..wish i could rethink that scenario again, too..anyway, it took us a while and a few thousand miles and a ton of $$..but hopefully it happens..

Like the Bon Jovi tune "who says you can't go home again?" That has been my mantra for the past couple years..

this is what we left in NorCal...

Can you buy it back!!? It is gorgeous dogmom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love it.

Tex-I didn't realize the status doesn't change! Bummer!!!
Crazyma-our schools--I think it's a county thing here. That is the only thing that is a positive here!!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:53 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Painter I'm sorry but you never know. Must've been the lookers from h-ll weekend.

Lorrie-it's just yesterday really was aggravating and realtor offices are closed on weekends-not even a receptionist who could advise you they're running an hour late.

We will stipulate new rules tomorrow that even tho they have a window of time they call if they're being delayed and preferrably 10 min before arrival.
Lacey- I do the 1 hr. rule--or at least 30 min. rule..My kids were at home before school started in Sept. All the toys and stuff around I had to high tail lol it....and rush...I had a 1 hr. rule because of the kids...Now it'll be 30 min.
I hate buyers at times. They think the world revolves around them and nothing else matters.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 PM

NJ-we always get the 1 hr window-it's if they're running exceptionally late have the courtesy to call.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Hey Chatty cathies

WOW here's a miniature congrats to Hammy---I know you will let us know you've ACCEPTED!!!
Hammy that is disgusting about the house. I have always always cleaned houses completely upon moving out.(even ours we were prepping to rent out) And the new owner/renter literally only had to move in.

BUT I tell you a secret. I just counted in my head. I think I have done a complete detailed cleaning at least 17 times since '94. And that's the ones we/renters moved OUTof...not to mention the cleaning I did before moving in places. And you know what? I hate to say it but when and if we ever move out of this one...NO it ain't gonna happen. I WILL vac, sweep/mop, and swab our cooties outta the baths/kitchen. BUT that is it!! No more dusting/polishing every square inch of wood,trim/baseboards, cleaning every daym light fixture/fan, no more filling nail holes & touch up painting. No more taking a screwdriver & making sure every freaking screw in the place is tight. No more polishing handles. No more cleaning windows in and out. I AM DONE with that crap! I have served my sentence well. Not once have I moved to a place and found it the way I leave them. No mas!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Hey Chatty cathies

WOW here's a miniature congrats to Hammy---I know you will let us know you've ACCEPTED!!!
Hammy that is disgusting about the house. I have always always cleaned houses completely upon moving out.(even ours we were prepping to rent out) And the new owner/renter literally only had to move in.

BUT I tell you a secret. I just counted in my head. I think I have done a complete detailed cleaning at least 17 times since '94. And that's the ones we/renters moved OUTof...not to mention the cleaning I did before moving in places. And you know what? I hate to say it but when and if we ever move out of this one...NO it ain't gonna happen. I WILL vac, sweep/mop, and swab our cooties outta the baths/kitchen. BUT that is it!! No more dusting/polishing every square inch of wood,trim/baseboards, cleaning every daym light fixture/fan, no more filling nail holes & touch up painting. No more taking a screwdriver & making sure every freaking screw in the place is tight. No more polishing handles. No more cleaning windows in and out. I AM DONE with that crap! I have served my sentence well. Not once have I moved to a place and found it the way I leave them. No mas!
You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel better?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:02 PM

Tambre-
DD is a navy, so there is no realistic way we can 'follow' them around the country. Only if we were 'retired'...No idea when hubby will ever retire, he is 53. May if SIL gets out we can be close(r).

Hubby had a HVAC business in Atlanta, but after 20 yrs. he was sick of the traffic/hustle-bustle and wanted a change. So that is why we initailly left in '99 and he made some career changes although still related to the industry.
Not sure if or when we might be able to return to Atlanta. Or if we really want to. At least I can get real cheap flights from Wichita to Atl. to see Dad, on occaision.

When he gets his B.S. degree, that will give him more job opps. and could concievably take him into other avenues bsides HVAC related stuff. So we will see. For now we have to go where the job is, not where we WANT to go...

I have no idea what to tell you. I say do what makes YOU and hubby happiest. What is the most realistic picture, that can provide as stress free a living situation as possible. I personally love your idea with your land.(Neighbor's DD lived in Springfield a few yrs. and said it is a nice easy going place.)

Is there any possible way for your kids to stay in your home there, and let you give the Missouri gig a go first?
Or if you do not think they want to come with, are you prepping them for leaving the nest?? I mean, if you sell there, do they have definite plans?

Only you can decide what is best for you. Yes it is difficult not being near loved ones. But that is life.
At least we have phones, computers, video cams, and aren't relying on the pony express for mail delivery!!! That is a bright side

do your pro and con list

Old 02-01-2009, 01:02 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Sara, I'm with you, the last house hubby patched all the little holes where nails were for pictures, and painted to match..I did a quick clean, I felt so sick and had such bad anxiety...but I did wipe down the bathrooms, vacuumed and mopped..the back yard was hosed off, we left it good. In all the homes we have moved into, we have never had anyone clean for us..we even had a brand new home several years ago, that was horrible, dust everywhere..I didn't know I should expect it clean.. I think this time I will hire someone to go in and clean the bathrooms and kitchen good. we will have the carpets cleaned, other than that i can dust blinds, etc.. I have a little portable hand held steamer I bought a while ago..after I clean for the first time in a home we just bought, I just heat up that little steamer and go over the toilets, the floor around the toilets, the shower, tub, etc...sinks..sanitizes them so they say..makes me feel better.

Hammy, any word yet??? Waiting with baited breath here!

Tambre, sounds like you have a handle on your move. You never know, your kids may not stay in NY their whole life, we have also had the neighbor from hell once and I could not get out of that home soon enough..gang bangers. that was our first home we were there 18 years. the bangers moved in about 2 years before we finally sold and left..Missouri is beautiful, we have been through Springfield..hubby has an army buddy in Mountain View..lovely country, I was surprised at all the rolling hills. Sounds to me that is the thing to do, go, enjoy your retirement, and visit the kids..CA taxes are still high, that is one of the reasons we left for Utah, but it's kind of a minor consideration at this point because we need to go home..

I am going to lay down before the big game..just hubby and I here, sorry Texas hubby is going with Cards..sorry. I am neutral but I like the commercials..ok i will secretly root for the Steelers!

Chat later, hugs going out there girls!
Oh Painter, I almost forgot you! Well, 15 min isnt bad, maybe they saw what they needed, had they been looking online? Sometime when yu see the right place you don't need to spend a lot of time in it..we didn't with this house we are buying, i bet we were there maybe 15-20 min. we did go back before we wrote the offer, just to be sure...so I will send pixie dust to you my friend

Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM

lacey, yeah I feel better :0

It was funny her posting about the nasty house, 'cuz just the other day I was just thinking if we ever move I be damned if I am gonna wear my a&& out again. AND it is all on me, my hubby is so freaking spoilt. My doings. Hey I get free room and board and insurance, Made my bed , must sleep in it. No alternative. Must not B & M......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate