Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 AM

86 posts, read 255,324 times

Advertisements

After an exhausting attempt to find a friendly real estate person I thought I would put some advice for realtors on this board.

If a potential customer happens to call and ask if your agency is also handling rental property don't suddenly turn your brain off.
Many people are now in situations unlike any other time.
Contingency may be your fav word.
A fish on the line or near the line is to be taken seriously.
Who wants to go into a store of any kind and be made to feel like they are doing you a favor to serve you.
I am sure I am not the only one in this predicament and I understand about commission and the sale now but as a lay person I cannot believe with the economy as it is that future planning and down the road is not something to at least think about.
Thank you.

The one that treats me with respect and kindness will get my business. I am a loyal person and will remember this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times
What does contingency mean?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post
What does contingency mean?
SXN,
A contingency is any provision in a contract that may allow a party to terminate without liability if the specified circumstance does not come to pass, is not met, etc.
And that is why the contract terms are as important as, or more important than, the offer price.
Sale of a Buyer's home may be a contingency. Offer and Contract contingent on the successful sale.

Some contingencies are pretty standard:
Ability of the Buyer to get financing.
Ability of the property to appraise for the contract price.
Abilility of the Seller to deliver clear title. Failure usually allowas a Buyer to withdraw.
Ability of the Buyer to terminate based on home inspection results, and this actually varies quite widely by locale.

Strong offers have few or no contingencies.
A Buyers' agent helps the Buyer recognize the impact a contingency may have in the view of the Seller.
Weak offers may have several or a few off the wall contingencies.
Weird contingencies in an offer can be a red flag to a Seller that the Buyer is a little flaky.
Goofy contingencies may be vaguely or subjectively noted in the Offer.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM

86 posts, read 255,324 times
------------------
With all due respect I think you may be totally not understanding my point in my posting.
If I am reading into yours what you may be saying is a person in this situation is not even worth any effort at all?
I apologize if I am missing your answer.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancygal View Post
------------------
With all due respect I think you may be totally not understanding my point in my posting.
If I am reading into yours what you may be saying is a person in this situation is not even worth any effort at all?
For certain, I did not miss the point of your post.

I was only answering SXN's question requesting the meaning of "contingency."

Old 01-09-2009, 12:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancygal View Post
I think you may have just clouded your post a not everyone can see through it.

Are you trying to say you are looking for a rental but can't find anyone to help you?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I probably have this wrong, but here goes anyways.

You called a furniture store and told them you would like to know if they also sell ice cream. They said no. You told them you would be in the market for furniture in the future, but first you need some ice cream. Could they help you? Not really

Don't like that one?

You are looking to lease a truck. You walk into a Audi dealership. You don't want and Audi car, you want a Ford truck. You will be in the market for a car sometime in the future...

I do not mean to sound unsympathetic, but you are not a buyer, nor a prospect at this time. You are barely a suspect at this point. We need real 100% qualified motivated buyers now. It is true that we will need to eat in two years too.

Chances are you won't remember the person's name in three months.

We are not a public service. We are real live human beings, with family, and friends, and time constraints, debts, hobies....just like you. The time you take away from us is not replaceable.

Do I want to get your name and number, ask you a few questions about timing and motivation? Sure, then I'll send you a Lowe's newsletter and plan a followup email in two months. I absolutely will sit down with first time buyers and help them form an action plan to buy their first house. But, I will not show them what they cannot buy now, at least until they are ready to buy. I don't have much more of my life to waste with folks who are not ready willing or able to buy.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
2bindenver,

A lot of people just moving into an area would like to rent while they're shopping for a place to buy. We all know that the really good deals don't happen every day, and that if you've got some time to wait for the perfect place, you can jump on it when the opportunity arises. We also know that sometimes its best to spend some time learning about a new city before you buy a house.

If a person asks about rentals, there's a chance they could also be in the market to buy sometime in the near future. If you helped them to find a rental, you had the opportunity to earn their trust and establish a relationship. If you turned them away, you blew your opportunity...

Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I have little knowledge about area rentals, other than the few I manage personally. Wouldn't I be a liability to the relocator?

So how much time so I expect to spend on this goodwill gesture? Should I expect a nominal fee? Or just the promise of future business? What should I tell my current clients who are expecting that I devote my working hours to their transaction? You know the one who expects I do everything I can to try to help nice folks buy and sell real estate in Denver. I mean I need to feed my kids too, right?

I do volunteer my time to my community and in my kids schools.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
2bindenver,

A lot of people just moving into an area would like to rent while they're shopping for a place to buy. We all know that the really good deals don't happen every day, and that if you've got some time to wait for the perfect place, you can jump on it when the opportunity arises. We also know that sometimes its best to spend some time learning about a new city before you buy a house.

If a person asks about rentals, there's a chance they could also be in the market to buy sometime in the near future. If you helped them to find a rental, you had the opportunity to earn their trust and establish a relationship. If you turned them away, you blew your opportunity...
True story that happened to me and why 2B is not thrilled about this. I got a call from an agent out of state who was representing a seller. They were relocating to my area. The potential buyers had another agent who had been helping them try to find a home. They decided to rent while they figured out where to live and that agent refused to help them find a rental.

This agent called me saying that these people had severed their relationship with this other agent and really needed help finding a rental. Could I help them? They were longtime friends of hers and would be loyal to me. Being the sucker I am, I talked with these potential clients who reassured me that they were no longer working with that "loser agent." I called around and found them a rental.

The weekend they moved into the rental, they called the other agent back and started looking with him again. Nice...

Some people just don't have ethics. The agent that called me and asked for my help was horrified by her clients behavior, but that didn't change the fact that I just worked for free.

I will never do that again. It stinks for ethical people that really want help, but we just can't take the chance. I learned my lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate