Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 PM

43 posts, read 167,264 times

Advertisements

I'm prepring to sell and have an issue with the interior doors in my house. They are original, from the 40s, solid wood with nice glass doorknobs. Love the look. However, the hardware is rickety, has fallen off on 2 doors, they don't shut correctly, and the bathroom door is a bit warped.

Needless to say, agents say to replace all 9 interior doors (2 hall closets, 1 bath, 3 beds, 3 bed closets). My issue is that I can't afford new solid-wood doors or glass knobs. The replacements will need to be hollow doors with silver-toned levers/knobs.

How much of an issue is this in a moderately priced home (were not talking luxury home here, just a median-price average house around 200k)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,782 times
i think it depends on the doors your putting in. ive seen some pretty crappy doors that might put a bad taste in a buyers mouth. just my opinion.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:00 PM

43 posts, read 167,264 times
Product Information Error Page

Something like that. Cheap but better than a closet that can't be opened due to poor hardware and no replacement hardware available.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,629 times
Don't replace the doors, replace the hardware! Van Dyke Restorers - Van Dykes Restorers - is a good place to start. Nothing causes me more heartburn than somebody who cobbles up vintage houses with poorly selected "replacement" or "modernization" efforts.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:41 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
We have a place out here called Rejuvination that specializes in hardware like that. I have no doubt your area does as well.

Before you replace the doors, see if you kind find a restoration/replica store and see if you can get new hardware.

That way, the bathroom door that is warped might be the only replacement.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
It is going to depend on what buyers in your area are looking for. Here, we have a lot of 1920s and 1930s Craftsman bungalows. People love them and want as much of the original fabric of the house as possible, including the original panelled doors and crystal doorknobs. Replacement doors are generally considered inferior, as are modern doorknobs. Most buyers looking in our older neighborhoods would prefer "quirky but charming" original doors that don't work quite right to "perfect but soulless" replacements. If you can get a feeling for what people prefer in your area it should be able to guide you whether making repairs to your current doors would be better than replacing them.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
All real estate is local!
Without seeing the house, location, etc. ... it's hard to know what to advise.
However, doors and hardware must work correctly. You don't want a door knob falling off in a prospective buyer's hand; it would leave a very bad impression!
The doors must open and close easily and correctly. They must be in good repair.
It seems you have 2 options - fix the doors and hardware or replace them!
If you replace them be sure the new doors and hardware fix with the style and look of your house. New material should look like they have been there for years - execpt they are in great condition.
Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
In just about every case where I have had an older home with nice hardware the effort to get it to work like new and/or track down stuff that matches (or at least is close) has paid off. Old door hardware is generally pretty darn easy to just clean-up and get working good. You strip off old paint and the metal is generally way more solid than all but the high end stuff that you can buy at the big orange box.

Most every town has some source for cast away old hardware that you can buy cheap OR an online source.

I also doubt that doors that are truly SOLID and old would need to be replaced. Even if there is noticeable warping in the door, a good block plane and a check by a skilled finish carpenter are generally all that is needed to get everything working great. There are tricks to putting new life is doors that have been abused. If the screws have chewed up the hinge area you can drill out the area and fit in new hardwood dowels to strengthen the area to rehang hinges. Ugly finishes can be stripped off and everything redone to showoff the quality of old wood.

No one likes hollow core doors and the only time you would want to use them is to quiet down the slamming in a multi-unit rental.

You can sometimes find high quality hardboard with solid wood veneers on sale for a fraction of solid wood doors and they look spectacular, feel about 90% as good as solid.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_time View Post
Needless to say, agents say to replace all 9 interior doors (2 hall closets, 1 bath, 3 beds, 3 bed closets).
I think your agent is an idiot.
Retain and maintain- as much as possible. There are plenty of restoration places around, and several on the net. Figure out what is needed to get them in proper working order- and if your handy- DIY. If not, see if you can locate a local carpenter that has experience with old doors and hardware.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
As I buyer, I would rather have doors that function than original doors that do not function. We bought a house built in the 50s, the doors are fine but the hardware/knobs are all broken; due to the type of hardware, all the doors will need to be replaced. Would have been a deal-breaker except the house was very cheap.

Couldn't you find some cheaper vintage knobs on eBay or at a resale shop? They often have things like that. I'm not a realtor, but I would be surprised if buyers in the 200K range are expecting solid doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate